Godox V860 IIIN compatibility with Nikon Z cameras?

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,070
Godox V860 IIIN compatibility with Nikon Z cameras?

Cross-posted with Nikon mirrorless forum, since I'm not getting any replies there:

The B&H website says the following regarding the Godox V860IIIN:

The flash is compatible with Nikon Z 6II and Z 7II in Manual Mode only (no TTL).

Can anyone verify if that is correct or not? I have searched and found various threads, but have not found anything definitive. Thanks.

j_photo's gear list:j_photo's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 II
Ellis Vener
MOD Ellis Vener Forum Pro • Posts: 18,440
Re: Godox V860 IIIN compatibility with Nikon Z cameras?

According to Adorama, the Flashpoint version of the previous model, the V860II N, it is compatible with Nikon TTL systems. See https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2nk.html for details. I don't think Godox would be stupid enough to eliminate TTL compatibility for the current generation of Nikon Z cameras.

I can tell you from personal experience that the V1, the round headed version of the same speed light, is fully compatible with the Nikon Z7 II.

-- hide signature --

To see my work, please visit http://www.ellisvener.com
Or on Instagram @EllisVenerStudio

Ellis Vener's gear list:Ellis Vener's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF +4 more
OP j_photo Veteran Member • Posts: 6,070

Ellis Vener wrote:

According to Adorama, the Flashpoint version of the previous model, the V860II N, it is compatible with Nikon TTL systems. See https://www.adorama.com/fplfsmzl2nk.html for details. I don't think Godox would be stupid enough to eliminate TTL compatibility for the current generation of Nikon Z cameras.

I can tell you from personal experience that the V1, the round headed version of the same speed light, is fully compatible with the Nikon Z7 II.

Thanks for the reply. What led you to choose the Vi over the V860?

Ellis Vener

j_photo wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

1) Versatility
2) The round head has a better light distribution pattern than the reflectors in speedlights with rectangular heads.

-- hide signature --

Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Sigma 70-200mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Zeiss Batis 40mm F2 CF +4 more

Ellis Vener wrote:

j_photo wrote:

Ellis Vener wrote:

1) Versatility
2) The round head has a better light distribution pattern than the reflectors in speedlights with rectangular heads.

I´m looking for something to use on and off camera. The V1 seems like it could feel very top-heavy on the Z6 or 7.

kli
kli Veteran Member • Posts: 4,525

j_photo wrote:

Cross-posted with Nikon mirrorless forum, since I'm not getting any replies there:

The B&H website says the following regarding the Godox V860IIIN:

The flash is compatible with Nikon Z 6II and Z 7II in Manual Mode only (no TTL).

Can anyone verify if that is correct or not? I have searched and found various threads, but have not found anything definitive. Thanks.

No idea, but the V860 II-N and V1-N had an issue with TTL on the Z6ii and Z7ii that required a firmware update to fix. (See this thread on the V1 ).

While you would logically assume that that fix would have been ported over to a newer model like the V860 III, Godox has dropped the ball on things like this before (e.g., the HSS fix for Fuji and the TT600/V850 II/XTR16/XTR16s that was added to the X1T-F never made it to the XPro-F). They really need to get better on compatibility fixes migrating through development branches.

Could be this bug slipped through the cracks and re-emerged with the V860 III and they haven't been able to issue a firmware fix for it, yet.

Looking up the V860 III-N's firmware updates all they've gotten since initial release is an update for compatibility for cross-brand use with an XProLII (for-Leica transmitter).

BTW, there are advantages to going with the older II-N version over the newer III-N version of the V860: the VB18 battery has more capacity over the VB26 (650 full power bursts vs. 480 on a charged pack), and the V860 II also has optical CLS/AWL capability (completely dropped from the V1/V860 II). And the head rotates 360º vs. 330º. It's also $180 new, vs. $230 for a V860 III.

But you would lose all the UI/feature updates that bring it more in line with the V1: TCM (on-camera only), TCM switch, LED lamp, slidelock, 0.1EV increments for M power adjustment, new four-way d-pad inside the control wheel, updated menus (e.g., Channel setting is now in the menu), SCAN function, better radio transmitter UI, and 30º backwards head tilt.  And, of course, the V860 III uses the same battery pack as the V1 if you were planning on mixing units.

kli's gear list:kli's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Canon EOS 5D Mark II Canon EOS 50D Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Canon EF 135mm F2L USM +12 more

Good info, thanks.

Ellis Vener

Well, I guess looks are deceiving.
According to the specs, With battery, the V1 at 18.8 ounces is slightly lighter than the V860IIN, which with battery, weighs 19 ounces.

-- hide signature --

Ellis Vener wrote:

Well, I guess looks are deceiving.
According to the specs, With battery, the V1 at 18.8 ounces is slightly lighter than the V860IIN, which with battery, weighs 19 ounces.

Really, you are bringing facts to the conversation?! Just kidding. Thanks for pointing that out. I had gotten the impression that it was larger/heavier.

And it's reassuring to hear it's working on your Z II. Very helpful. thanks.

Just a follow-up on this thread. My V1 arrived today and it looks great. Working well on my two Z bodies, and as a remote off camera flash. The balance on the Z 6 or 7 feels fine. And I already had the magnetic accessory kit so that's another bonus as well.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice or answered questions.

Michael Firstlight Veteran Member • Posts: 4,900

I have two V860II, two V860III, one V1, and two AD300Pros - they all work great with my Nikon Z9 along with either the XPro and the XT1n  transmitters.  I had to update the firmware for the V860II's and V860III's when they arrived, but that took only a few minutes. My V860IIs are really Flashpoint R2s as is my XPro II - but they are all the same internally.  One cautionary tale I can share is when updating the firmware if using the Flashpoint branded strobes is to use the Godox firmware versions - they worked where the Flashpoint firmware didn't.

Mike

-- hide signature --

The one thing everyone can agree on is that film photography has its negatives. It even has its positives and internegatives.

Michael Firstlight's gear list:Michael Firstlight's gear list
Nikon D1X Nikon D800 Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR +34 more
Models By Day Regular Member • Posts: 398

I'm not sure which model of Godox my friend has but it did not work with the trigger on my Z7ii, it does however work on his Sony A7iii (ILCE-7M3)

Models By Day's gear list:Models By Day's gear list
Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 85mm F1.8 Fujifilm FinePix F200EXR Nikon D300 +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads