Worst nightmare shipping experience buying used camera gear :/

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
shaocaholica
shaocaholica Senior Member • Posts: 1,024
Worst nightmare shipping experience buying used camera gear :/

I buy a lot of camera gear off eBay and its mostly fine but sometimes I get the worst packing jobs.

So I bought a 'cheap' D2x for fun off eBay.  Buyer says it was 'mint' and 'well taken care of'.  I mean sure it looks decent even after getting it in hand but boy did this guy not pack very well.  Why bother using words like 'mint' and 'well taken care of' if you're gonna pack it so terribly.  Where to start....

1)Using a way too big moving box with the handle cut outs which can be an ingress point for water/debris and also it can rip which it did leaving a huge hole by the time it was delivered.  Luckily nothing had fallen out of this hole.

2)Camera and accessories placed in a camera bag inside the outer cardboard box.  That sounds fine on paper until you see the camera bag has no internal dividers or padding material so it may as well be a cardboard box with no padding.  This is one of my pet peeves is receiving items shipping with inadequate packing material or none at all.  I don't understand how people can box up like that.  Find some trash even and shove it in there.

3)No body cap on the camera.  Another peeve.  Cameras and lenses shipped without caps and without any other improvised protection.  Cover it with masking tape, box tape, put it in a plastic bag, literally anything.

This camera had to endure the ride all the way from IL to CA like this.

Luckily it seems to have arrived mostly unscathed.  Probably more scratches than it had before the trip but not damaged functionally.

One time many years ago I got a relatively cheap lens shipped to be in a cardboard box with no packing material at all.  It arrived with a few glass elements cracked and detached from the lens body.  Bravo.  Literally anything can be packing material if you're that lazy or maybe people think its fine.

shaocaholica's gear list:shaocaholica's gear list
Konica Minolta Maxxum 7D Nikon D1X Nikon D2Hs Nikon D2Xs
Nikon D2X
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 2,303
Re: Worst nightmare shipping experience buying used camera gear :/

Just curious. Did the eBay ad state it came with body caps?

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye
Smaug01
MOD Smaug01 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,622
I'm sure you left him appropriate feedback ;-)

ebay has categories now of feedback. I would have given him neutral overall, and 1 star for packing.

The worst thing about that packing job is that the battery could have slammed inside the camera, where it's not so rugged. He could have at LEAST wrapped the body so the lens opening was covered. Heck or even just put the battery in another pocket!

Is the mirror OK?

-- hide signature --

-Jeremy
"Rudeness is the weak man's imitation of strength."
-Eric Hofer

Smaug01's gear list:Smaug01's gear list
Pentax MX-1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-TS30 Ricoh GR III Olympus OM-D E-M10 III Nikon Z5 +27 more
Bob A L Veteran Member • Posts: 6,673

Wow, absolute luck that the mirror and/or shutter didn't end up trashed.  One of my pet peeves when I surf around fb cameras for sale for example are if there is a photo of an interchangeable lens camera with the camera laying out on anything with the lens off and no body cap on, I consider no further attention to that ad. I figure if they lay it out like that to take the photo, it probably got stored and carried around the same way. So I just won't consider the item at that point.

Rambow
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 2,776
I use duct tape

... When i don't have a cap. That was his mistake.

But other than that i don't have any major issue with the packaging. If the camera looks and acts the part and the price is right, the seller technically fulfilled his end of the deal.

Also, weren't these PRO bodies supposed to be rock solid? He shipped the body with the bag, so any damage is unlikely.

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
robgendreau Forum Pro • Posts: 10,701

Rate the seller as poor with shipping, but 5 stars to Nikon for a body that can be abused like that and still work!

barbara j Contributing Member • Posts: 769

Good thing seller sold the lenses separately :/

-- hide signature --
 barbara j's gear list:barbara j's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
shaocaholica
OP shaocaholica Senior Member • Posts: 1,024

InkedMarie wrote:

Marie

The ad was very...brief.  I think the description literally said 'Mint condition.  Very well kept for'.  The photos did not show a cap on the body ever but in the background there was a cap but it looked like a lens cap not a body cap.

shaocaholica
OP shaocaholica Senior Member • Posts: 1,024
Re: I use duct tape

Rambow wrote:

But other than that i don't have any major issue with the packaging. If the camera looks and acts the part and the price is right, the seller technically fulfilled his end of the deal.

Also, weren't these PRO bodies supposed to be rock solid? He shipped the body with the bag, so any damage is unlikely.

I disagree.  There are accepted norms on how to ship things regardless of how rugged they are or if you are going to rely on luck.

InkedMarie
InkedMarie Senior Member • Posts: 2,303

shaocaholica wrote:

InkedMarie wrote:

Marie

The ad was very...brief. I think the description literally said 'Mint condition. Very well kept for'. The photos did not show a cap on the body ever but in the background there was a cap but it looked like a lens cap not a body cap.

At least it wasn’t stated as part of the deal & not sent.

Marie

InkedMarie's gear list:InkedMarie's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1s Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye
JJekyll Forum Member • Posts: 50
Re: I use duct tape

Duck tape over the lens mount? I would not send a camera body or a lens without caps.  Unbranded ones are available for peanuts on Ebay.

JJekyll's gear list:JJekyll's gear list
Pentax K-1
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads