New GFX 50s II Owner - First Day Impressions

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
sshapiro Contributing Member • Posts: 993
New GFX 50s II Owner - First Day Impressions

I just received a GFX 50s II and used it today while walking at a park and in downtown Richmond, Virginia. The camera came with the GF 35-70mm lens, but I used a GF 32-64mm lens instead. I will try the 35-70mm later this week and I plan to use a GF 250mm tomorrow.

My primary camera has been a Fujifilm X-T3, and although the GFX is bigger, I didn't find it uncomfortable to use or carry (via Peak Design Slide Lite strap). The camera is very solid and easy to hold. The contrast detection autofocus worked fine overall, but I did have problems with it locking on the subject a few times. I probably just need to get a better understanding of how to best use the autofocus system.

The first hour was spent at a park, mostly taking photos of leaves, trees, and wooden bridges. It wasn't the best location to showcase the camera, but it worked. I also walked around downtown Richmond, Virginia for a couple of hours and tried some architecture, street, and portrait photography. That experience was also informative. I need to adjust my shooting expectations and approach vs. when using Fujifilm APS-C cameras, but I actually enjoyed the slower pace of using the GFX camera.

The images I got look great, but I noticed that the depth of field was very narrow. Learning to use the GFX camera will take me some time, but I am willing to put the necessary time into it. When I get more confident with my workflow, I will share some images here. I look forward to learning from other members of this forum, and I thank you in advance!

Fujifilm X-T3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
avalvo Senior Member • Posts: 1,923
Re: New GFX 50s II Owner - First Day Impressions

Welcome to MF.  You will get used to the DOF in no time.  And, you will learn to use it to your advantage.

I really like the 50mp sensor. There is just something about it.

avalvo's gear list:avalvo's gear list
Nikon D850 Olympus OM-D E-M1X Fujifilm GFX 100
BobsYourUncle Veteran Member • Posts: 8,631

Enjoy!  With so much attention to the 100mp cams in the forum, it is nice to see someone pleased with a very capable 50mp 44x33 cam.

I think you will find the 35-70 a surprisingly excellent performer.  And it makes the combo an unexpectedly light carry.

-- hide signature --

Bob aka BobsYourUncle
DPR Co-MOD - Fuji X Forum

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm GFX 50S II Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a1
debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
that 50MP sensor!

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Enjoy! With so much attention to the 100mp cams in the forum, it is nice to see someone pleased with a very capable 50mp 44x33 cam.

I think you will find the 35-70 a surprisingly excellent performer. And it makes the combo an unexpectedly light carry.

Bob I agree with you. I have the 100S and the 50R and I find myself grabbing the 50R despite all its "shortcomings". I do not what to say. I find the SOOC colors of the 50R better. If the 50Sii has the same SOOC engine, I will seriously consider downgrading and giving up the extra 1 stop of DR and PDAF. For speeds, I can always use a Sony or a X-H2

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 +4 more
BobsYourUncle Veteran Member • Posts: 8,631
Re: that 50MP sensor!

debo wrote:

BobsYourUncle wrote:

Enjoy! With so much attention to the 100mp cams in the forum, it is nice to see someone pleased with a very capable 50mp 44x33 cam.

I think you will find the 35-70 a surprisingly excellent performer. And it makes the combo an unexpectedly light carry.

Bob I agree with you. I have the 100S and the 50R and I find myself grabbing the 50R despite all its "shortcomings". I do not what to say. I find the SOOC colors of the 50R better. If the 50Sii has the same SOOC engine, I will seriously consider downgrading and giving up the extra 1 stop of DR and PDAF. For speeds, I can always use a Sony or a X-H2

I am a RAW shooter so I cannot comment on a comparison between the SOOC’s from the 50R (which I do not own) and 50SII.  However, last year after unboxing the 50SII and the 35-70 in the morning, I took the combo to an office that afternoon and imaged the 3 executive secretaries in a group photo.  The SOOC was so good I just downsampled and sent the jpeg to them.  A 16x24 print of that image is hanging on their wall.  So, the SOOC “engine” does produce a nice image.  However, I do prefer RAW.  YMMV.  Good luck.

-- hide signature --

Bob aka BobsYourUncle
DPR Co-MOD - Fuji X Forum

BobsYourUncle's gear list:BobsYourUncle's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm GFX 50S II Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a1
debo Senior Member • Posts: 2,934
Re: that 50MP sensor!

Ha, thats awesome. I think the 50mp sensor can produce SOOCs that need little editing (especially for people pics)

Am a RAW shooter for landscapes etc where I need to extract some more DR. ..... I find the SOOC output of the 100S very different (and less film like) compared to my 50R's output.

debo's gear list:debo's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 63mm F2.8 Fujifilm GF 110mm F2 Fujifilm GF 23mm F4 +4 more
DMillier Forum Pro • Posts: 23,670

Enjoy!

I have just acquired my first medium format digital, the Mk I in my case, to use with my Pentax 645 lenses as soon as the adaptor arrives. It will be interesting to compare the 38MP 1:1 frames with the 100MP 1:1 output from the full frame + vertex rotary stitcher.

While awaiting the arrival of the adaptor, I'm currently messing about with a 24mm Cosina MC macro from the 1980s that cost about £12. A mismatch, but it works 1:1 with a slight crop.

I shot some test long exposures in the park yesterday and to my surprise got 3 images for every shot with different ISOs. Some kind of bracketing feature I accidentally engaged.

Focusing on the back screen is tricky when you forget your reading glasses.

Next test is to see whether my field monitor will work and to try out the Mir38B 65mm 6x6 lens I have.

Despite all this MF goodness, I still love my m4/3 Lumix G9. It is nigh on the perfect camera for me and it will hopefully become actually perfect when my superzoom arrives tomorrow. As much as I like using the vintage primes, you can't beat a smaller camera with a compact superzoom for unplanned walk around snapping. Effortless photography.

-- hide signature --

Website: http://www.whisperingcat.co.uk/ (2022 - website rebuilt, updated and back in action)
DPReview gallery: https://www.dpreview.com/galleries/0286305481
Flickr: http://www.flickr.com/photos/davidmillier/ (very old!)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads