Is sony 90mm f2.8 macro owrth for 710 euro/dollars?

Started Oct 3, 2022 | Discussions
Domantas
Domantas Regular Member • Posts: 273
Is sony 90mm f2.8 macro owrth for 710 euro/dollars?

The question. Thank you. I have only 16-35 GM and 20mm G. But is it worth it comparing to so many new lenses?

Domantas's gear list:Domantas's gear list
Sony a7S III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +1 more
Almazar80 Senior Member • Posts: 1,705
Re: Is sony 90mm f2.8 macro owrth for 710 euro/dollars?

If you have a need for a macro lens at this focal length, I highly recommend it.  It's well worth it.

Domantas
OP Domantas Regular Member • Posts: 273

Almazar80 wrote:

If you have a need for a macro lens at this focal length, I highly recommend it. It's well worth it.

Its more like I don't have that fl and it interest me a bit haha. Wanted to know if 700 good deal or just standart. I would like new 85gm when it comes, but also not sure when that will happen

Domantas's gear list:Domantas's gear list
Sony a7S III Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G +1 more
MILC man Veteran Member • Posts: 6,077

the fe90 one of the most well-rounded ff macro lenses you can get for e-mount.

if you have a niche need, for instance shooting macro on a focusing rail, there might be better options.

or, if you want to shoot landscapes at wide open apertures the fe90 is not the best choice.

if you are looking at a new one for $710, i'd say grab it.

The Lamentable Lens Senior Member • Posts: 1,181

Domantas wrote:

The question. Thank you. I have only 16-35 GM and 20mm G. But is it worth it comparing to so many new lenses?

If you have need of a macro lens, then the Sony 90mm is a fantastic choice -- it's a wonderful lens.

But if you're just looking for something around that traditional portrait focal length for general use, and you don't actually need the macro capability, then I'd go with something like the Sony 85mm f/1.8.  It's smaller, lighter, cheaper, and faster (both in terms of its aperture and its AF speed).

The Lamentable Lens's gear list:The Lamentable Lens's gear list
Leica Q Sony RX1R II Sony RX100 VII Sony a7R V Sony FE 85mm F1.8 +9 more
techjedi
techjedi Veteran Member • Posts: 4,234

Domantas wrote:

I think its a good deal at any price close to retail price. Its my favorite lens and probably would choose it if I could have only one.

It is fantastic for macro with excellent resolution and it is usable as a portrait lens as long as you don't need really wide open background separation of a f1.8 or f1.4, etc.

Here are some samples from mine:

techjedi's gear list:techjedi's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 70-200 F4 Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro Sony RX100 Sony RX100 VA +21 more
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 5,550

Domantas wrote:

It is a good way to expand your scope. You can use it as a general 90mm lens, which you don’t have; you can use it as a macro lens, which you don’t have (and it’s a good macro lens. You can also explore manual focus with this lens (the focus ring clicks forward and back to switch between manual focus and auto-focus - especially handy in a macro lens).

There aren’t a lot of macro lenses out there, and this is a really good one that is also useful for general photography.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony a9 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +8 more
Paisley Park
Paisley Park Regular Member • Posts: 140

Really not worth the price, it doesn't even have weather sealing. I really dislike the 90mm macro from Sony. Sigma's macro is better built in my opinion.

Also Sony's OIS doesn't coordinate with the IBIS, so completely useless. Sigma 105 macro DG DN looks to be much better overall, from build quality to functionality.

Actually, it's weather sealed.  The built in lens stabilization works in conjunction with the camera IBIS.  Build quality is very high.  I've been using this lens for years and in conjunction with the IBIS, I estimate I get about .5-.75 additional EV worth of stabilization.  May not seem like a lot, but low light handheld macros are something I like doing.  Or getting that extra DOF.  Never used the Sigma, but compared to other Sigma lenses I do have (or had), the Sony is built very well.

Paisley Park wrote:

Really not worth the price, it doesn't even have weather sealing.

sony states that the fe90 is a "Dust and moisture-resistant design", so no that's wrong.

I really dislike the 90mm macro from Sony. Sigma's macro is better built in my opinion.

you don't own either of those lenses, or any sony gear for that matter.

Also Sony's OIS doesn't coordinate with the IBIS, so completely useless. Sigma 105 macro DG DN looks to be much better overall, from build quality to functionality.

that sigma lens doesn't have any optical stabilization at all, but of course you didn't know that, you are just out here to bash sony.

the sigma 105 also has a weak focus-by-wire implementation; the fe90 is better for manual focusing because sony improved their focus-by-wire functionality years ago.

the fe90 is five-star rated on b&h, with 297 reviews, it's an outstanding lens: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens SEL90M28G B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

Paisley Park

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

sony states that the fe90 is a "Dust and moisture-resistant design", so no that's wrong.

there's no mount rubber gasket around the Sony.

I really dislike the 90mm macro from Sony. Sigma's macro is better built in my opinion.

I own, plenty, but whatever.

that sigma lens doesn't have any optical stabilization at all, but of course you didn't know that, you are just out here to bash sony.

No

the sigma 105 also has a weak focus-by-wire implementation; the fe90 is better for manual focusing because sony improved their focus-by-wire functionality years ago.

Sony 90mm also is also focus by wire but with a clutch.

the fe90 is five-star rated on b&h, with 297 reviews, it's an outstanding lens: Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens SEL90M28G B&H Photo Video (bhphotovideo.com)

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

there is far more to weather sealing than one gasket.

I own, plenty, but whatever.

yeah right.

No

yes

Sony 90mm also is also focus by wire but with a clutch.

it has a clutch but that's not focus by wire... what sony developed with focus by wire is called "Linear Response MF"

Paisley Park

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

No, without mount gasket water and dust will easily get in the camera.

The 90mm macro is one of Sony's oldest design. If the gasket less design was so reliable, why all new weather sealed Sony lenses all have a mount gasket ?

all I'm saying the lens is not worth the asked price. It doesn't mean it's a "bad" lens. Just overpriced.

It's worth the money to me.  I like macro photography and I really like this lens.  I've used it in the rain (not pouring rain, but heavy drizzles).  I've used it in dusty situations.  It's still going strong after years of use (I bought it a few months after it was released).  It's sharp and for a macro lens focuses swiftly.  I had several 90mm Tamrons's previously (other cameras) and several manual macros.  The Sony is, by far, the best macro lens I have used (better than the old Minolta macro, Vivitar Series 1 105mm and Kiron 105mm macros, the Vivitar 90mm macro).  Is it better than the Sigma?  I have no idea.  And I don't need to find out.  The Sony 90mm macro is outstanding.  YMMV of course.

SafariBob
SafariBob Veteran Member • Posts: 4,431

Yes

SafariBob's gear list:SafariBob's gear list
Sony RX1 Sony a7R II Sony a7R IV Canon EF 400mm f/2.8L IS USM Sony 70-400mm F4-5.6 G SSM +6 more

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

no, you can easily block that junction with a hair band, and contrary to your false claims that this lens does not have weather sealing, it does.

The 90mm macro is one of Sony's oldest design. If the gasket less design was so reliable, why all new weather sealed Sony lenses all have a mount gasket ?

see above.

all I'm saying the lens is not worth the asked price. It doesn't mean it's a "bad" lens. Just overpriced.

you don't own this lens, you really don't know anything about it or sony in general.

Paisley Park

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

no, you can easily block that junction with a hair band, and contrary to your false claims that this lens does not have weather sealing, it does.

this is some extreme coping and mental gymnastic. I refuse to put a hair band on my camera.

a "weather sealed" lens should come with a rubber gasket at the mount. That's it. All Sony weather sealed lenses now have them. Older Sony lenses such as the 90 macro don't. Sealing is compromised.

Sony will replace the 90mm macro soon with a mark II or a new lens. So not a wise decision to buy it now.

dth29 Regular Member • Posts: 283

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

this is some extreme coping and mental gymnastic. I refuse to put a hair band on my camera.

a "weather sealed" lens should come with a rubber gasket at the mount. That's it. All Sony weather sealed lenses now have them. Older Sony lenses such as the 90 macro don't. Sealing is compromised.

Sony will replace the 90mm macro soon with a mark II or a new lens. So not a wise decision to buy it now.

There are no rumors about a newer version. If one would come, it would be significantly more expensive. Compared to other lenses, the Sony 90/2.8 G Macro is well worth the money for me. I would by it any time again.

dth29's gear list:dth29's gear list
Sony a7 IV Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS Sony FE 90mm F2.8 macro +5 more

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

MILC man wrote:

Paisley Park wrote:

this is some extreme coping and mental gymnastic.

>sigh<

I refuse to put a hair band on my camera.

it's not a problem because you don't own this lens, or any sony lens for that matter.

funny that nobody else is whining about that.

just curious, how many times have you been banned out here?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads