5dsr + 70-200mm f2.8L IS II and 40mm f2.8 vs Em1x + 12-40mm f2.8

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Boredom_boy Forum Member • Posts: 51
5dsr + 70-200mm f2.8L IS II and 40mm f2.8 vs Em1x + 12-40mm f2.8

Ill be travelling alot in the coming month, and I got rid of alot of my gear in order to focus on what I want to do next.

I had a 5dsr before but it had over 300,000 shutter actuations in the end and was giving me lockups etc. When it worked I loved it with stablized lenses. Had the version 1 70-200mm f2.8L before and loved the portraits and landscape shots I got, didnt mind the weight (used on Eos R). 40mm f2.8 is a nice pancake.

I also can get an em1x, but my last experience with m4/3 was the original em5. I like the idea of High res handheld for stationary objects, its got a fast shutter if I decide to buy a birding lens down the road, and its weatherproof up the wazoo.... I just have no real experience with it. The ND modes also nice (used similar on fuji x100f before), for snow or extreme light. Had a 12-40mm f2.8 before, really nothing to complain about but it was a 16mp sensor.

Most of my photography is: Nature/wildlife, Portraits, landscapes.

So I guess it comes down to, which kit you thinks more worth it at the same price? Which would you take and why? Appreciate the input thanks!

Boredom_boy's gear list:Boredom_boy's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 50S Canon EOS R Tamron AF 28-75mm F/2.8 XR Di LD Aspherical (IF) Sigma 120-300mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Sigma 24-35mm F2 DG HSM Art +7 more
Canon EOS 5DS R Fujifilm X100F
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robbo2 Contributing Member • Posts: 969
Re: 5dsr + 70-200mm f2.8L IS II and 40mm f2.8 vs Em1x + 12-40mm f2.8

I have never owned a FF digital camera so I cannot relate my experience with one.  I have owned a number of cropped sensor DSLR's, the last one being the Nikon D7500. I also currently own the Panasonic G9 and the Olympus 12-40mm F/2.8 pro. I really like the High Resolution mode, though as you noted, it's best for pictures with no moving objects. The 12-40mm F/2.8 lens I got about a month ago, so my experience is limited. However, what I have seen impresses me. Very sharp photos.

I am wondering why you are considering the M1x and not the smaller OMD em1 mark III. Their specs are similar but the mark III is much smaller and reduced size and weight is one of the reasons that people choose micro 4/3 cameras. My G9 is much bigger than the mark III but the lenses, especially the big zoom lenses like the Panansonic 100-300mm and 100-400mm are much smaller and lighter than the equivalent lenses for cropped sensor and FF cameras.

robbo2's gear list:robbo2's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic G95
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads