Scaled Quail

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Dbltfarmer
Dbltfarmer Senior Member • Posts: 1,422
Scaled Quail

As you know, Texas and much of the SW US have faced and ongoing drought.  This summer was really bad in most of the Texas panhandle.  However,  my small part of the world has gotten a little more rain in May and late August .  These rains helped many of us to raise a cotton crop which also helped the much of the wildlife.  Mule Deer, quail, jackrabbits and other critters did well in the fields and the areas surrounding them.  Below are all photos that were taken in and around cotton fields on the South Plains in the Panhandle of Texas.

Our annual rainfall is around 15 inches per year and this year most of the area is half of that amount or less.  In my small area we have received about 8 inches since September of 2021.

This Scaled Quail sits on a fence post between a cotton field and a pasture on yellowhouse canyon.

These Mule Deer run across a cottonfield.  They are late with their velvet and thin from the summer.

A hummingbird flies over a cotton field going from bloom to bloom

A black tailed jack rabbit rests in a grassy area near my barn

A covey of scaled quail

Dbltfarmer's gear list:Dbltfarmer's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon Z6 II Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Sigma 20mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +9 more
CarlosU Senior Member • Posts: 1,220
Re: Scaled Quail

lovely series, TFS

Morris0
Morris0 Forum Pro • Posts: 31,069

The first two and the rabbit are my picks.  A good part of the world is experiencing drought.  Very unusual.

Morris

Morris0's gear list:Morris0's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-H2S Canon EF 200mm f/2.8L II USM Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-17E II XF 90mm +11 more
Mikel10
Mikel10 Forum Pro • Posts: 11,090

Beautiful series. Thanks for sharing.

-- hide signature --

Best,
Mike

Mikel10's gear list:Mikel10's gear list
Leica Q2 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm 120mm F4 Macro Fujifilm GF 250mm F4
Red Barchetta
Red Barchetta Senior Member • Posts: 9,953

Very nice set.

-- hide signature --

It's not OK to edit my pictures.

Red Barchetta's gear list:Red Barchetta's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EF 17-40mm f/4.0L USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG OS HSM Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS STM +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads