R7 High Speed Continuous

Started Oct 2, 2022 | Discussions
slr_SoFL
slr_SoFL Regular Member • Posts: 299
R7 High Speed Continuous

Can't select high speed continuous on my R7. Dual Pixel Raw is off. Please help.

So far I've been quite disappointed with this camera.

-- hide signature --

Just a weekend hack...
R6, R7
RF 100-500
RF 70-200 f/2.8
RF 24-70 f/2.8
RF 50 f/1.8

slr_SoFL's gear list:slr_SoFL's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +4 more
Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Bill60 Regular Member • Posts: 146
Re: R7 High Speed Continuous

Not much to go on. I assume you have the camera in “servo” mode and not “one shot”,

Bill60's gear list:Bill60's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM
Alastair Norcross
Alastair Norcross Forum Pro • Posts: 10,516

slr_SoFL wrote:

Can't select high speed continuous on my R7. Dual Pixel Raw is off. Please help.

We need to know all the settings you have enabled. I have no problem selecting high speed continuous. So far I've been very impressed with my R7. Amazing camera.

-- hide signature --

“When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather. Not screaming in terror, like the passengers in his car.” Jack Handey
Alastair
http://anorcross.smugmug.com
Equipment in profile

Alastair Norcross's gear list:Alastair Norcross's gear list
Canon G7 X II Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +24 more
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 6,731

slr_SoFL wrote:

Which shooting mode are you in? Does the manual help in any way? What does can't select mean? - option shows up but you cannot select, no options, some error?

Disappointed in what way? Can't figure out settings or something else

Very minimal details to be of much help

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 14-35mm F4L IS USM +12 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 27,411

I don't have the R7 yet but have you met these conditions? Page 508

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
slr_SoFL
OP slr_SoFL Regular Member • Posts: 299

PicPocket wrote:

slr_SoFL wrote:

Which shooting mode are you in? Does the manual help in any way? What does can't select mean? - option shows up but you cannot select, no options, some error?

Apologies for the cryptic post. Was in the middle of trying to take pictures of my son's marching band in a competition, and not knowing why I couldn't do a basic function was quite frustrating. Turns out it was that auto leveling was on and I only realized this when ANOTHER function said it was disabled because auto leveling was on.

Canon should have allowed switching to high speed and said that auto leveling would be disabled or something similar.

As for the overall camera I really do not like the new ergonomics (really miss the back wheel), haven't figured out how to change dials in anything but manual.  This should have had the same body layout as the R6. Then it would have paired perfectly.

Picture quality still TBD.

Anyway.  Apologies again for the initial cryptic post from frustration.

-- hide signature --

Just a weekend hack...
R6
RF 100-500
RF 70-200 f/2.8
RF 24-70 f/2.8
RF 50 f/1.8

Canon EOS R6 Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +4 more
slr_SoFL
OP slr_SoFL Regular Member • Posts: 299

Zeee wrote:

Thank you for that. It was the auto leveling.

-- hide signature --

Just a weekend hack...
R6
RF 100-500
RF 70-200 f/2.8
RF 24-70 f/2.8
RF 50 f/1.8

slr_SoFL wrote:

PicPocket wrote:

slr_SoFL wrote:

Apologies for the cryptic post. Was in the middle of trying to take pictures of my son's marching band in a competition, and not knowing why I couldn't do a basic function was quite frustrating. Turns out it was that auto leveling was on and I only realized this when ANOTHER function said it was disabled because auto leveling was on.

Canon should have allowed switching to high speed and said that auto leveling would be disabled or something similar.

As for the overall camera I really do not like the new ergonomics (really miss the back wheel), haven't figured out how to change dials in anything but manual. This should have had the same body layout as the R6. Then it would have paired perfectly.

My R5 and I bet you R6 is the same. You can only remap dials when in M. Not sure why Canon does this.

I used up a lot of buttons so I've assigned my set button to change the drive mode.

Picture quality still TBD.

In good light it will be good based on images I have seen. Just like my 7D2 was - a crop sensor packed with pixels makes it light hungry, for a better term. Correct exposure makes a big difference. Your R6 will be better for low light. Better than my R5.

Anyway. Apologies again for the initial cryptic post from frustration.

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more

slr_SoFL wrote:

Zeee wrote:

Thank you for that. It was the auto leveling.

I read that just as I posted that. Always to have more info for other members cause you never know.

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

I'm looking forward to my R7 but I won't get it until January before our trip. Temps are dropping, all the good birds are gone. If I take another goose in flight shot I'll slit my wrists In another month there will be just crows in the skies.

It is ironic as Canon used to release in late fall and I hated that. The R7 was released in the summer but I wasn't interested. My bad.

Lots of good info on the 7R threads. I've had the R5 since it was released so I know exactly how I will program it. I am also going to miss the back dial. I use it for EC fine tuning. I'm guessing I may be able to map the cross key button for that? We'll see.

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

koenkooi Contributing Member • Posts: 937

slr_SoFL wrote:

[..]

Canon should have allowed switching to high speed and said that auto leveling would be disabled or something similar.[..]

I have long wanted a 'Force Enable' option that tells you what it's going to change. If that doesn't pass muster with the UX designers, at least show *all* the settings that are preventing it from being enabled.

Unrelated gripe: why does enabling HEIF (and hence HDR PQ) disable fast refresh in the EVF?!?!

koenkooi's gear list:koenkooi's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS M Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM +20 more
PicPocket Veteran Member • Posts: 6,731

koenkooi wrote:

Unrelated gripe: why does enabling HEIF (and hence HDR PQ) disable fast refresh in the EVF?!?!

Probably something to do with how the single processor is being split for various tasks it needs to do at the same time

-- hide signature --
 PicPocket's gear list:PicPocket's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 28-70mm F2L USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 14-35mm F4L IS USM +12 more
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,177
Re: R7 High Speed Continuous - re: the dial ergonomics

I shoot in M mode with auto ISO, and I am learning to love the Fv option. Finally I can control EC/ISO without having to push a button and twist a dial or twist the lens ring. Don’t miss the back dial at all.

User1303423862 Senior Member • Posts: 1,210

slr_SoFL wrote:

Was in the middle of trying to take pictures of my son's marching band in a competition, and not knowing why I couldn't do a basic function was quite frustrating. Turns out it was that auto leveling was on and I only realized this when ANOTHER function said it was disabled because auto leveling was on.

Exactly right, when you want a feature, you want it NOW, not after you've puzzled for an hour and missed the gig. SONY do this too. "Operation not permitted" Well, OK, WHY is it not permitted??!!

"Computer says no".

Grrr

-- hide signature --

I am not a number. I am a free man.
How the heck did I end up with this username?

User1303423862's gear list:User1303423862's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Sigma 24-70mm F2.8 EX DG HSM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads