Fujifilm X-H2 or Sony a7IV

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Tech Inspector New Member • Posts: 8
Fujifilm X-H2 or Sony a7IV

Firstly I have to say that I'm shooting video only and for my decision I'm only interested in these features. Most of the time will be a talking head in my YouTube Studio and some product shots with higher framerate for slow mo.So good auto-focus is very important.

The table below shows a list of the pro's and con's of both cameras in comparison which are important to me. Maybe you can help me to complete the table and recommend a camera to me.

I was searching a lot for a new camera and since the new X-H2 with 40.2MP was released I am very uncertain which one to buy.

Right now I own the Fujifilm X-T4.

PS: If you have a totally different camera recommendation for me, please let me know

MILC man Senior Member • Posts: 5,861
Re: Fujifilm X-H2 or Sony a7IV

Tech Inspector wrote:

Firstly I have to say that I'm shooting video only

shooting in a studio that has controlled lighting mitigates the advantage of a bigger sensor, in terms of iso at least.

that also means that you can shoot in crop mode and get an xlnt picture, which opens up different possibilities like framerates and differences in sensor scanning.

and for my decision I'm only interested in these features. Most of the time will be a talking head in my YouTube Studio and some product shots with higher framerate for slow mo.So good auto-focus is very important.

i don't know that there is a relationship between high fps requiring the best af, and for talking head stuff on youtube i'm not sure that it matters so much.

but if best af is the requirement you are missing an opportunity to get the x-mount version of that, with the h2s and it's unstacked sensor.

but fuji has nothing comparable to subject acquisition with sony real-time tracking, however does that matter so much in a studio setting?

i imagine that you know that already, tho.

The table below shows a list of the pro's and con's of both cameras in comparison which are important to me. Maybe you can help me to complete the table and recommend a camera to me.

Right now I own the Fujifilm X-T4.

so you've tried doing this with the x-t4, and it comes up short?

Flying Fijian Senior Member • Posts: 1,571

I'd say stick with Fuji as you probably already have the lenses...just check out this video beforehand:

https://youtu.be/MZ1kgugbjtw

It's for xh2s but should be fairly similar for xh2...the AF will be lens dependent. It's a new camera so AF will only get better. The XH2S is already on firmware 2.0.

Flying Fijian's gear list:Flying Fijian's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +12 more
OP Tech Inspector New Member • Posts: 8

Yeah well I am not really happy with the AF and the image could be sharper. I don't think that the X-H2 can beat Sonys AF and there are a lot of features that Sony does better than Fuji in my eyes. E.g. the low light performance which produces nearly zero noise up to iso 12800.

But on the other hand the X-H2 has 120fps at 4k which would be awesome for product shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads