85mm for A7c

Started Sep 30, 2022 | Discussions
amit190 Contributing Member • Posts: 687
85mm for A7c

Hi all ,

Im currently using A7c with 24mm +55mm 1.8.

I want to add an 85mm for a bit more dreamy look, for family portraits mostly.

For the budget I can get :

Sony 85mm 1.8

Viltrox 85mm 1.8

Samyang 85mm 1.4 (+lens station)

I can also take the samyang 75mm /sigma 65mm but it will probably be too close to the 55mm.

Also sigma 90mm 2.8 , but it is more exapqnsive then the other options ,and not as fast..

What do you guys think ? Will the 1.4 samyang be too big vs the other options?

Thanks in advance.

Sony a7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin_99 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,670
Re: 85mm for A7c

You can check the size and weight on camerasize.com

230g VS 370g VS 570g

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 OM-1 Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS +2 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 7,149

The Samyang F1.4 is going to give the nicest blur. The II version is a little smaller and lighter.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +103 more
OP amit190 Contributing Member • Posts: 687

QuietOC wrote:

The Samyang F1.4 is going to give the nicest blur. The II version is a little smaller and lighter.

But I got a great price for version 1 , its half of the price of the 2nd version.

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,532
75mm for A7c

amit190 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

But I got a great price for version 1 , its half of the price of the 2nd version.

If you're willing to lug a heavy f1.4 lens, I have to wonder why you got an a7C instead of an a7III or a7IV. I'd have gone with the Samyang 75/1.8 with the a7C for a very lightweight kit. In fact, I have both the 75 and 85.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III +54 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 7,149

amit190 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

Yes, that's probably why I have it too. I  prefer handling of the II versions.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +103 more
Re: 75mm for A7c

Jacques Cornell wrote:

amit190 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

If you're willing to lug a heavy f1.4 lens, I have to wonder why you got an a7C instead of an a7III or a7IV.

I have it for almost 2 years ,long before a74 release ,and love the camera so far.

I didnt mean to go with f1.4 lenses , but Ive seen some really nice dreamy family photos , and since the price is the same - I consider.

I'd have gone with the Samyang 75/1.8 with the a7C for a very lightweight kit. In fact, I have both the 75 and 85.

The 75mm is also an option ..did you compare them?

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 17,532
Re: 75mm for A7c

amit190 wrote:

Jacques Cornell wrote:

amit190 wrote:

QuietOC wrote:

If you're willing to lug a heavy f1.4 lens, I have to wonder why you got an a7C instead of an a7III or a7IV.

I have it for almost 2 years ,long before a74 release ,and love the camera so far.

I didnt mean to go with f1.4 lenses , but Ive seen some really nice dreamy family photos , and since the price is the same - I consider.

I'd have gone with the Samyang 75/1.8 with the a7C for a very lightweight kit. In fact, I have both the 75 and 85.

The 75mm is also an option ..did you compare them?

I haven't compared them. I've used the 85/1.4 a fair bit in my event work. I got the 75/1.8 more recently for walkabout use but haven't used it much yet. My walkabout prime kit includes Samyang's 18/2.8, 24/1.8, 35/2.8, 45/1.8 and 75/1.8. This sounds like a lot, but it fits nicely in a very slim Tenba P211 satchel and doesn't weigh much.

-- hide signature --

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III +54 more
michalwodzu
michalwodzu Junior Member • Posts: 48

Hi, you have nice compact portrait lens 55mm 1.8. I would go with sy 85mm 1.4 for biger variety of your kit.

michalwodzu's gear list:michalwodzu's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM
smith-jones Contributing Member • Posts: 551

amit190 wrote:

Hi all ,

Sony 85mm 1.8

Viltrox 85mm 1.8

I can also take the samyang 75mm /sigma 65mm but it will probably be too close to the 55mm.

Also sigma 90mm 2.8 , but it is more exapqnsive then the other options ,and not as fast..

Thanks in advance.

I had the FE 85 1.8 and I loved that lens but had to let it go and have since gotten a GM 85 1.4.

For your budget as good as the FE 1.8 is, it might not be the best choice for portraits.

If I was buying today and limited in budget, I would seriously look at the Tokina 85 1.8 for a portrait lens.

To me, the GM 1.4 is the one but it is big heavy and slower to focus and usually costs a lot more but can sometime be found second hand much cheaper (I got mine almost mint for a very good price).

smith-jones wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi all ,

Sony 85mm 1.8

Viltrox 85mm 1.8

Thanks in advance.

I had the FE 85 1.8 and I loved that lens but had to let it go and have since gotten a GM 85 1.4.

For your budget as good as the FE 1.8 is, it might not be the best choice for portraits.

If I was buying today and limited in budget, I would seriously look at the Tokina 85 1.8 for a portrait lens.

To me, the GM 1.4 is the one but it is big heavy and slower to focus and usually costs a lot more but can sometime be found second hand much cheaper (I got mine almost mint for a very good price).

Thanks.

Tokina atx-m 85mm 1.8 ? It is as big as the samyang .

smith-jones Contributing Member • Posts: 551

amit190 wrote:

smith-jones wrote:

amit190 wrote:

Hi all ,

Sony 85mm 1.8

Viltrox 85mm 1.8

Thanks in advance.

Thanks.

Tokina atx-m 85mm 1.8 ? It is as big as the samyang .

I have never even seen one but I just like the look of photos and what the reviews say.

If you go to YouTube there are many comparisons of the different candidates including a few that have tested EVERY 85 available in Sony E mount.

The "winner" is usually the Sigma 85 1.4 DG DN but the Tokina gets a few votes as one of the better lower cost ones with really nice bokeh.

Personally, I prefer the Sony GM 85 1.4 but I realise for many its flaws and especially price rule it out but it does have very nice bokeh.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads