Russian River over 5 Years

Started Sep 29, 2022 | Discussions
RBIV
RBIV Senior Member • Posts: 1,612
Russian River over 5 Years

Seems our forum is light on activity as we have mostly exhausted when the next new product release will come from Pentax so in the meantime... perhaps you can amuse yourself with this small series.

Over the years I've been stopping at what I call the Vineyard Bend of the Russian River in Geyserville, California to grab a shot of how the river looks "today."  Certainly not great scenics, please don't peep at these pixels from several cameras, different dates...

K20, February 2017

K5, November 2020

ZFC, December 2021

KP, August 2022

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Nikon Z fc Pentax K-5 Pentax KP
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
robgendreau Forum Pro • Posts: 11,703
Re: Russian River over 5 Years

RBIV wrote:

Seems our forum is light on activity as we have mostly exhausted when the next new product release will come from Pentax so in the meantime... perhaps you can amuse yourself with this small series.

Over the years I've been stopping at what I call the Vineyard Bend of the Russian River in Geyserville, California to grab a shot of how the river looks "today." Certainly not great scenics, please don't peep at these pixels from several cameras, different dates...

K20, February 2017

K5, November 2020

ZFC, December 2021

KP, August 2022

Great series; thanks for that.

And since the K20 seems to produce more water, keep using that...we need it

robgendreau's gear list:robgendreau's gear list
Pentax 645Z
Gary Martin
Gary Martin Veteran Member • Posts: 5,494

I love stuff like this; the most interesting part of photography (to me) is how it captures the flow of time, and your sequence does an excellent job of that. Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --
 Gary Martin's gear list:Gary Martin's gear list
Ricoh GR III Pentax K-1 Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +11 more
PentUp
PentUp Veteran Member • Posts: 4,374

(I didn't pixel peep as instructed), but Great photos. They each tell their own story.

But as a naturalist more than a photographer, I have to ask, what difference do you think that the time of year (season) makes to the state of the river? Many rivers of course have seasonal ebbs and flow.

Your photos were taken in February, November, December and August in different years.

Have you got photos for example taken in the same month over a series of years?

PentUp's gear list:PentUp's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Canon G7 X II Pentax K-x Pentax K-5 II Pentax K-50 +13 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,676

Nice pictures, nice river, just that name ...

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

rmalbers Contributing Member • Posts: 541

So is/was that a vineyard?  It looks like it might be gone now, what happened.

RBIV
OP RBIV Senior Member • Posts: 1,612

robgendreau wrote:

Great series; thanks for that.

And since the K20 seems to produce more water, keep using that...we need it

LOL.  Thank you, and yes, I remember many times getting that K20 wet while shooting in the rain. Didn't seem to hurt it. It's still working well, having survived my daughter, and now Oliver, her son Lords it over all his cell phone pals when "shooting the dog."  It's a strong camera, and a happy dog.

Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
RBIV

Gary Martin wrote:

I love stuff like this; the most interesting part of photography (to me) is how it captures the flow of time, and your sequence does an excellent job of that. Thanks for sharing!

Yes, thank you, and I wish I had thought to do this around several areas.  Unfortunately this is the only "over time" series I have,  and it's getting a bit late to start one anew. 

RBIV

PentUp wrote:

(I didn't pixel peep as instructed), but Great photos. They each tell their own story.

But as a naturalist more than a photographer, I have to ask, what difference do you think that the time of year (season) makes to the state of the river? Many rivers of course have seasonal ebbs and flow.

Yes, I'm sure the river changes with the season and with the amount of rainfall.  Plus, it is subject to "flood control"  (not that we have had to worry about that lately), so I bet that has a lot to do with it as well.

Your photos were taken in February, November, December and August in different years.

Have you got photos for example taken in the same month over a series of years?

You know, I never began this as an "over time" project.  Geyserville is a bit more than 100 miles from our home, and we go there now and again to visit longtime friends.  I noticed while I was editing my [too large] "keepers" file that I had several pics of the river and just found it interesting when I put them together.

So unfortunately, no, they were just taken as the chance arrived, totally unscientific.

RBIV

flektogon wrote:

Nice pictures, nice river, just that name ...

Yes, the river got its name from the Russian American Company who built a settlement around 1812 and still there, Fort Ross California.  By 1850 the Hudson Bay Company out of Vancouver was taking over and the smaller Russian American Company was sold to John Sutter, who was a Mexican citizen at that time.  I think the Russians who liked it here stayed and the rest went elsewhere. I don't believe they ever laid claim to the territory.  The Mexican army, of course, was pretty large in the area at the time, which may have had something to do with it. 

RBIV

rmalbers wrote:

So is/was that a vineyard? It looks like it might be gone now, what happened.

Oh no, the vineyard is still there and larger in size each year.  It is to the east of the river, Right side of the image.  They continue to reinforce the banks with large rocks, but the river hasn't given up and in wet years (once upon a time) it probably claims a little vineyard land.

That's the tree along the bank of the river that is visible in the river shots.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads