Replace FZ1000?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
photography 50 New Member • Posts: 7
Replace FZ1000?

Hi All,

I'm reviewing my gear. Have a Panasonic FZ330 & more recently the FZ1000. I'm happy with the images from the FZ1000, but slightly concerned by its lack of weather sealing. More concerned re dust than rain from the environments I sometimes photograph in. Taken the 330 into dusty environments (sensibly) with no problems, but it would help to have a bit more flexibility in low light. Panasonic menus and layout are sensible and straightforward as far as I'm concerned.

Most of my photography is urban / industrial plus railways, ships.

Three questions:

• anyone used the fz1000 in dusty environments, however cautiously? (Incidentally, I looked at the fz2000 and there are contradictions as to whether it is weather sealed.)

• perhaps try the em5iii c/w 12 - 200 lens (inspite of horrible menus) because both are weather sealed?

• or maybe just stick with what I've got and enjoy it? (And save money at the same time!)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nigel

Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic FZ2500 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ200
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Martin_99 Veteran Member • Posts: 4,539
Re: Replace FZ1000?

I would just use FZ1000 with care and don't care if manufacturer wrote weather sealed or not in specs. If break, buy Olympus

Martin_99's gear list:Martin_99's gear list
Sony a6400 Sony Carl Zeiss Sonnar T* E 24mm F1.8 ZA Sigma 56mm F1.4 DC DN | C (X-mount) Sony E 70-350mm F4.5-6.3 G OSS Tamron 150-500mm F5-6.7 Di III VC VXD +1 more
Ringwraith69
Ringwraith69 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,380

Martin_99 wrote:

I would just use FZ1000 with care and don't care if manufacturer wrote weather sealed or not in specs.

I'll happily second that. Most cameras, even the ones not 'weather sealed', are rugged enough to handle a reasonable amount of moisture or dust without any problems. As long as you use it in a sensible manner (I'd avoid monsoons and sandstorms) you should be fine. And if eventually it breaks down, then start looking for a replacement. But for now, don't worry too much and enjoy shooing!

-- hide signature --

(We are only immortal for a limited time)

Ringwraith69's gear list:Ringwraith69's gear list
Sigma DP1 Fujifilm FinePix X100 Fujifilm X-S1 Sony RX10 II Sony RX10 IV +42 more
OP photography 50 New Member • Posts: 7

Thanks both for your thoughts. Appreciated.

Nigel

Jacques Cornell
Jacques Cornell Forum Pro • Posts: 15,845

photography 50 wrote:

Thanks both for your thoughts. Appreciated.

Nigel

I got my FZ1000 used in good condition for $300. At that price, it's essentially disposable.

-- hide signature --

"I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it." - George Bernard Shaw
http://jacquescornell.photography
http://happening.photos

Jacques Cornell's gear list:Jacques Cornell's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic FZ1000 Panasonic LX100 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Sony a7R III +54 more
Aberaeron Forum Pro • Posts: 10,184

photography 50 wrote:

Hi All,

I'm reviewing my gear. Have a Panasonic FZ330 & more recently the FZ1000. I'm happy with the images from the FZ1000, but slightly concerned by its lack of weather sealing. More concerned re dust than rain from the environments I sometimes photograph in. Taken the 330 into dusty environments (sensibly) with no problems, but it would help to have a bit more flexibility in low light. Panasonic menus and layout are sensible and straightforward as far as I'm concerned.

Most of my photography is urban / industrial plus railways, ships.

Three questions:

• anyone used the fz1000 in dusty environments, however cautiously? (Incidentally, I looked at the fz2000 and there are contradictions as to whether it is weather sealed.)

• perhaps try the em5iii c/w 12 - 200 lens (inspite of horrible menus) because both are weather sealed?

• or maybe just stick with what I've got and enjoy it? (And save money at the same time!)

Thanks in advance for your thoughts.

Nigel

If you know that you are about to use it in a dusty environment, switch it on so that the lens extends beforehand to lower the risk of any dust being sucked into the lens and hence the camera internals. Also if there is any dust deposited on the lens barrel during the shoot, either blow that off or wipe it clean before switching off.

Do not be alarmed, these are just belt and braces, common-sense things you can do to lower the slight risk of dust ingress.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads