Sony HX99, Panasonic ZS80, or Canon SX740

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
panoptic Regular Member • Posts: 257
Sony HX99, Panasonic ZS80, or Canon SX740

Long time user of Panasonic ZS series, have just dropped and broken my second ZS80. Love the 30X zoom, pocket size, tilting screen, and already have several batteries and just the right case. Rarely use EVF.

I'm looking around at alternatives and see two candidates: Canon SX740 and Sony HX99. Canon has longer zoom, tilt, but no EVF. Sony has same zoom, tilt, EVF, and is smaller but more expensive.

I'm open to your thoughts and experiences with these cameras. I had intended to include Nikon's A1000 but it doesn't seem to be available.

panoptic's gear list:panoptic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80
Canon PowerShot SX740 HS Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,271
Re: Sony HX99, Panasonic ZS80, or Canon SX740

I don't know if I have much to add. I have a Panasonic ZS80 (longtime ZS user), a Sony HX99 (had to have it once) and had a Canon 720 (again, had to have it). I was unimpressed with the Canon and sold it. The HX99 is pretty good, but takes a mini SD card, (It's also spring loaded, so be careful.) The ZS80 is good and has lots of features. The HX99 is small, a +plus, but slippery, a -minus. It needs a stick on grip. (If you're dropping the ZS80, It will get even worse with the HX99, which also has that tiny card). All three of them have a long zoom and a small sensor - All of which is nice until you blow the pictures up a bit. Of those three, I'd stay with the ZS80. Then you only lose a bit of quality in the bigger prints. Note - the HX99 also has great features.

I recently bought a Sony RX100 vii. It has a 1 inch sensor and a 200mm lens, but it is expensive. I had been putting it off because of the expense. I think it takes better pictures then any pocketable/travel camera I've had, and now it gets most of the use.

If you are set on having that long zoom, you might look at a used Casio EX ZR800 (Ebay?}. I thought it had better picture quality then any of the first three. If you can do without the long zoom, and want one you can not easily break, but that has lots of features - get an Olympus TG6. It's waterproof, drop proof, crush proof, etc..

Peace. .....and Best Wishes.

John

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX100 VA Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Olympus TG-6 +37 more
Rambow
Rambow Senior Member • Posts: 2,785
Features vs quality

Data sheets don't tell the story between these cameras. Sony HX models provide better overall image quality than panasonic and probably canon(but i have not tested canon).

Rambow's gear list:Rambow's gear list
Sony Mavica FD-71
OP panoptic Regular Member • Posts: 257
Re: Features vs quality

Rambow wrote:

Data sheets don't tell the story between these cameras. Sony HX models provide better overall image quality than panasonic and probably canon(but i have not tested canon).

Can you point me to a review comparing Sony HX and Panasonic ZS70/80? Or have you had personal experience? I'm very attracted to the smaller size of the Sony.

Thanks!

Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS25 Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80
Canasonic Regular Member • Posts: 111

There are a few reviews around, just search "Sony HX99 Review RAW samples" and you'll find the better ones. Unfortunately the HX99 hasn't been that popular as far as sales go, likely because it was 30% too expensive relative to it's competitors when it came out and the price didn't really fall over time. DxO doesn't even support the camera in PhotoLab so you'll be missing out on what is perhaps the greatest leap in digital noise reduction up to this point. As a result between these three, I would suggest the Lumix ZS70 or ZS80 and a trial of DxO PhotoLab 6. Use the DeepPRIME NR from base ISO and I suspect you'll be impressed by what you can get out of such a small sensor.

Canasonic's gear list:Canasonic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic G95 +21 more
OP panoptic Regular Member • Posts: 257

Canasonic wrote:

There are a few reviews around, just search "Sony HX99 Review RAW samples" and you'll find the better ones. Unfortunately the HX99 hasn't been that popular as far as sales go, likely because it was 30% too expensive relative to it's competitors when it came out and the price didn't really fall over time. DxO doesn't even support the camera in PhotoLab so you'll be missing out on what is perhaps the greatest leap in digital noise reduction up to this point. As a result between these three, I would suggest the Lumix ZS70 or ZS80 and a trial of DxO PhotoLab 6. Use the DeepPRIME NR from base ISO and I suspect you'll be impressed by what you can get out of such a small sensor.

Thanks, I’ll think about that. I’m a jpeg only shooter. Given that, what do you think about the Sony? I can afford the difference in price.

kcdogger Veteran Member • Posts: 4,271

panoptic wrote:

Rambow wrote:

Can you point me to a review comparing Sony HX and Panasonic ZS70/80? Or have you had personal experience? I'm very attracted to the smaller size of the Sony.

Thanks!

Well, go for it! I know that when "just had to have it" shows up its like an itch you can't quite reach to scratch until you get the thing causing it.. I still have the HX99 and confirm it is an excellent camera. Best just to get it ASAP.

Peace.

John

PS  Don't forget the add on grip.  A stick on will work.

kcdogger's gear list:kcdogger's gear list
Olympus Stylus 1 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX100 VA Panasonic Lumix DC-ZS80 Olympus TG-6 +37 more
Canasonic Regular Member • Posts: 111

The HX99 seemed like a nice camera overall but I didn't really look at the JPEG performance. Panasonic, Canon, and Olympus cameras seem to produce better OOC JPEGs in the consumer space (its a toss up on more professional cameras) but I would have a look at the results and compare them which a benchmark to see if it meets your needs. CameraLabs (Gordon Laing) usually does excellent head to head reviews but did not review the HX99. You can check out these reviews for HX99 samples Sony HX99 Hands-on Review | Have Camera Will Travel Sony Cyber-shot DSC-HX99 Review - Steve's Digicams (steves-digicams.com)

Everyone has their preference so I hope you find what works for you. All small cameras seen to be a compromise in my experience. Some accept the smaller sensors (1/2.3) in the likes of an HX99, ZS80, etc because they get a longer zoom. Yet others prefer a slightly larger body (RX100, ZS100, LX10) to get a one inch sensor and the better SNR, dynamic range, and optics those cameras have but they give up zoom range. I chose a Lumix LF1 due to it's extremely small size (actually pocketable), EVF, slightly larger 1/1.7 sensor and slightly better optics vs the compact superzooms but I gave up 4k video and a long zoom. I shoot RAW so I can get the most out of the LF1's sensor which is somewhere between the 1/2.3 and I inch sensors. I rarely need to go past 300 mm and if I need superior image quality or zoom range then I'll bring out one of my M43 cameras. I can see the appeal of compact superzooms and bridge cameras for people who do not need professional looking low light images, won't pixel peep, and only want one camera that does everything.

Canasonic's gear list:Canasonic's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LF1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Panasonic G95 +21 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads