Advice for street shooting with a model in Istanbul

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Foskito
Foskito Senior Member • Posts: 1,154
Advice for street shooting with a model in Istanbul

Good afternoon guys,

In 3 weeks' time, I will be in Istanbul and have a 2-day shoot with a couple of models for my wife's small jewelry business. One day at the European side and the other at the Oriental side of the city.

I won't be using a tripod or extra lights, everything will be casual, documentary style. We won't be bothering anyone, obstructing streets, or taking pics inside government buildings or Mosques. (That would make big trouble) And I will ask permission at every local place, like restaurants, shops, etc in advance.

Saying that, do I need to take special consideration for street shootings? maybe a local permit has to be obtained or it is ok to do so with no worries?

Thank you in advance!

Foskito's gear list:Foskito's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Leica M8 Leica M9-P Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS RP +13 more
KENTGA Veteran Member • Posts: 8,513
Re: Advice for street shooting with a model in Istabul

Istanbul is my 2nd favorite city to visit after Paris. We were there in 2006 and I don't remember the places/places we visited but there are nice open places.

Here's is a link to my flickr album of Istanbul. All were in the city. Wish I could help you more. Maybe look at Google Earth photos for the location of the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108062364@N04/albums/72177720296333644

Kent

-- hide signature --

Here is a link to some of my travels since 2006. Feel free to comment.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/108062364@N04/albums
KENTGA = Kent from Georgia (metro Atlanta)

KENTGA's gear list:KENTGA's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Canon EOS 6D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS 80D Tamron AF 18-270mm F/3.5-6.3 Di II VC LD Aspherical (IF) MACRO +14 more
Escapes Regular Member • Posts: 103

Foskito wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

In 3 weeks' time, I will be in Istanbul and have a 2-day shoot with a couple of models for my wife's small jewelry business. One day at the European side and the other at the Oriental side of the city.

I won't be using a tripod or extra lights, everything will be casual, documentary style. We won't be bothering anyone, obstructing streets, or taking pics inside government buildings or Mosques. (That would make big trouble) And I will ask permission at every local place, like restaurants, shops, etc in advance.

Saying that, do I need to take special consideration for street shootings? maybe a local permit has to be obtained or it is ok to do so with no worries?

Thank you in advance!

May be best to ask/contact someone from Istanbul rather than here.

E.

Foskito
OP Foskito Senior Member • Posts: 1,154

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

Thank you in advance!

E.

Why? there are many photographers with experience in different parts of the world.

But yes, I am doing my research locally too.

Foskito

KENTGA wrote:

Istanbul is my 2nd favorite city to visit after Paris. We were there in 2006 and I don't remember the places/places we visited but there are nice open places.

Here's is a link to my flickr album of Istanbul. All were in the city. Wish I could help you more. Maybe look at Google Earth photos for the location of the photos.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/108062364@N04/albums/72177720296333644

Kent

Thank you Kent, beautiful captures of a city with lots of heritage. Many opportunities to take photographs, I see you went to the Dolmabahçe palace

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 2,432
Re: Advice for street shooting with a model in Istanbul
 strawbale's gear list:strawbale's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Panasonic G90 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS

Foskito wrote:

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

Thank you in advance!

E.

Why? there are many photographers with experience in different parts of the world.

Why,,, because you talk of special permits and seeking permission in locations. I say again, go to someone who knows, a quick email to an embassy will do the trick and you will something to to fall back on if you need it. I have shot in many parts of the world but would never give advice apart from what I have written above.

E..

Foskito

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

Thank you in advance!

E.

Why,,, because you talk of special permits and seeking permission in locations. I say again, go to someone who knows, a quick email to an embassy will do the trick and you will something to to fall back on if you need it. I have shot in many parts of the world but would never give advice apart from what I have written above.

E..

Good for you. This is what forums are for, the exchange information. I never said I wouldn't check anywhere else. But thanks.

Foskito wrote:

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Escapes wrote:

Foskito wrote:

Good afternoon guys,

Thank you in advance!

E.

E..

Good for you. This is what forums are for, the exchange information. I never said I wouldn't check anywhere else. But thanks.

Yes you did say that you would check anywhere else, that's true but you still seem to want to rely on others hearsay info that may or may not be correct, where as any normal travelers first call would be at the correct authority not a photography forum.

You talk of experienced photographers on this forum, well I am an experienced photographer and a very experienced traveler that has given you what I feel is the best advice here in your post, yet you come back with a somewhat sarcastic reply, so could it be that you only ever wanted to tell the forum that you are going to Istanbul. I wonder?

Good luck, hope you return with your camera in hand.

E..

note: If you do contact the authorities notify them that is commercial photography, may save you a hefty fine.

UsherFellig Regular Member • Posts: 150

Well, one tip might be to take extra care your models are fully and conservatively attired and the poses and comportment in your tableaux are the epitome of restraint.  Religious conservatism is ascendant there at the moment in society as well as govermment, and people can be arrested or assaulted for perceived improprieties one wouldn't give a second thought to in many other cultures.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads