Best shooting mode for Canon R7? Manual or Fv?

Started Sep 15, 2022 | Discussions
dankenny Regular Member • Posts: 103
Best shooting mode for Canon R7? Manual or Fv?

Just keen to hear what people are using. Admittedly I find Fv a bit cumbersome since you can't use muscle memory for each dial like in Manual/Av. Though I'd like to hear if people ended up getting used to that, and find it advantageous over Manual + Auto ISO, for instance.

Also I guess one thing I wouldn't mind with Fv would be if there's a way to swap the wheel and the dial. I've tried a few settings but no luck. Basically if I used it, I'd prefer to change which setting is 'highlighted' using the top wheel, and alter the setting itself using the rear-facing dial. Any thoughts on this as well?

Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
thomste Regular Member • Posts: 312
Re: Best shooting mode for Canon R7? Manual or Fv?

dankenny wrote:

Just keen to hear what people are using. Admittedly I find Fv a bit cumbersome since you can't use muscle memory for each dial like in Manual/Av. Though I'd like to hear if people ended up getting used to that, and find it advantageous over Manual + Auto ISO, for instance.

Also I guess one thing I wouldn't mind with Fv would be if there's a way to swap the wheel and the dial. I've tried a few settings but no luck. Basically if I used it, I'd prefer to change which setting is 'highlighted' using the top wheel, and alter the setting itself using the rear-facing dial. Any thoughts on this as well?

I use Manual mode with the wheel set to ISO. This way once I have set the aperture and shutter speed I want, I can quickly adjust the iso to get the correct exposure, with the histogram always on to check.

I don't want the camera to choose neither the shutter speed or aperture for me.

OP dankenny Regular Member • Posts: 103

thomste wrote:

dankenny wrote:

I use Manual mode with the wheel set to ISO. This way once I have set the aperture and shutter speed I want, I can quickly adjust the iso to get the correct exposure, with the histogram always on to check.

I don't want the camera to choose neither the shutter speed or aperture for me.

Thanks. This is similar to what I'm using as well. I have the aperture set to the control wheel since I'm less likely to change it on the fly.

Rick65
Rick65 Regular Member • Posts: 139

I shoot manual with ISO set to AUTO. My primary subject are birds and the shutter speed takes precedence for me. There isn't always a lot of time to set all three of the triangle so I will rely on the camera to handle the ISO. On occasion I will manually set the ISO as well for more creative shots.

For landscape, I shoot full manual though I rely on my R5 for landscape images since the FF sensor has better dynamic range.

Rick65's gear list:Rick65's gear list
Canon EOS 80D Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R5 Canon EOS R7
Dan W Senior Member • Posts: 1,245

dankenny wrote:

I really tried to like the Fv mode but just can't. Its P mode, Av mode, Tv mode or auto ISO mode wrapped up in a single mode. But I use them all but never felt I need them all in one shoot. I use Tv mode if I'm shooting fast subject, Av mode doing portraits to control DOF. I NEVER use the P mode. I like some control of the exposure.

But lately I have made use of full manual, or M mode, then put the ISO in auto mode. I control the shutter for the subject and ambient lighting and set aperture also for the available light and also for the DOF I want. This works well for me in changing light outdoors.

BUT, a lot of people love Fv mode and thats awesome, its just not for my style of shooting. On my R5 I have menu'ed out the P mode and the Fv modes because I never use them. It just cleans up my mode options when I want to switch to a different mode.

So try all the modes for what you like to shoot and see what works best for your style of photography. I always tell newbies to learn to get out of P modes and use semi auto modes to control the part of the triangle that is most important to your style and subject matter. Also try full manual when you're not in a hurry, like for portraits or landscapes where you have a few seconds to tweak the settings. So dont lock your self into a single mode, they all have different uses for different people and different subjects. I dont like Fv mode but some love it. So Manual vs Fv is not a real debate, its personal.

Dan W's gear list:Dan W's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 50mm F1.2L USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +4 more
Steve Fink Senior Member • Posts: 1,656

I use the FV exclusively now and love it.  Typically I set the ISO to what I want it depending on the lighting.  But I found I trick that I like even more if I use the Auto ISO setting in FV.  With the ISO set to Auto, EV is available and, I can use the wheel to change the EV (exposure value + or -).  This can help if you don't want to blow out the highlights of a primarily white subject/bird.

-- hide signature --

Steve
Minds are like parachutes, they only work when they are open - Unknown

grenow
grenow Regular Member • Posts: 141

Steve Fink wrote:

I use the FV exclusively now and love it. Typically I set the ISO to what I want it depending on the lighting. But I found I trick that I like even more if I use the Auto ISO setting in FV. With the ISO set to Auto, EV is available and, I can use the wheel to change the EV (exposure value + or -). This can help if you don't want to blow out the highlights of a primarily white subject/bird.

This. +1

grenow's gear list:grenow's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM Canon RF 70-200 F4 L +4 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 27,411

grenow wrote:

Steve Fink wrote:

I use the FV exclusively now and love it. Typically I set the ISO to what I want it depending on the lighting. But I found I trick that I like even more if I use the Auto ISO setting in FV. With the ISO set to Auto, EV is available and, I can use the wheel to change the EV (exposure value + or -). This can help if you don't want to blow out the highlights of a primarily white subject/bird.

This. +1

+2

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Canon_Guy
Canon_Guy Senior Member • Posts: 2,059

I was trying to handle the Fv mode couple of times but still it feels awkward to me. Perhaps too long muscle and mind memory from all those years I am using Av and M. Together with configurable Auto ISO and the possibility to adjust exposure times to rather slower or longer works just perfect and very reliably for me.

Canon_Guy's gear list:Canon_Guy's gear list
Canon EOS R6 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Sigma 14-24mm F2.8 DG HSM Art Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM +6 more
Zeee Forum Pro • Posts: 27,411

Canon_Guy wrote:

I was trying to handle the Fv mode couple of times but still it feels awkward to me. Perhaps too long muscle and mind memory from all those years I am using Av and M. Together with configurable Auto ISO and the possibility to adjust exposure times to rather slower or longer works just perfect and very reliably for me.

Yes I at one time used both Av and M with my DLSR's. M for all flash work and when I wanted consistent exposure like metering off the grass for a ball game. I mostly used Av but never use Auto ISO. I do now with Fv mode.

-- hide signature --

Don't Look Up

Zeee's gear list:Zeee's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 100-500mm F4.5-7.1L IS USM +1 more
Karpath Junior Member • Posts: 26

I tried FV mode but I just don't like that you can't use your custom dial configuration for aperture, shutter speed etc.

So after using the R7 for several weeks and playing around with all the customization options, I'm currently shooting mostly in TV mode with auto ISO, when I don't have much time to configure the exposure triangle. When I have the time and need to control the aperture, I switch to manual mode.

I also set up the 3 custom slots for when I quickly have to switch between animals, people and landscape, with all settings set to give me a good starting point, including the autofocus settings, drive mode etc.

I have set the shutter speed control to the top dial, exposure compensation to the back/thumb dial, and aperture control to the control ring of the lens. For ISO I don't mind to press the ISO button to change it, since I'm mostly shooting on auto ISO anyway.

I also customized several buttons to quickly change the drive mode, switch between spot and full frame auto-focus, disable/enable eye detection, switch between one-shot and servo autfocus, zoom to check the focus, enable/disable electronic shutter and the auto-level function.

Changing subject detection between animals/people/vehicles works pretty quick via the Q-Menu.

With this setup I've been shooting for a few weeks now and everything went into my muscle memory. I'm pretty happy with my configuration so far

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads