Ways to remove blue cast from hills in camera?

Started 4 months ago | Questions
Monicaa
Monicaa Junior Member • Posts: 42
Ways to remove blue cast from hills in camera?

I am not much of a landscape shooter but I shot this today and was wondering if there's a good way to reduce the blue in the hills that I seem to get whenever I shoot landscapes. Naturally, non-post processing methods would be prefered but I do suffer from this issue on digital too, and I touch up all of my photos in LR.

Monicaa's gear list:Monicaa's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
mfinley
mfinley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,767
Re: Ways to remove blue cast from hills in camera?

Monicaa wrote:

I am not much of a landscape shooter but I shot this today and was wondering if there's a good way to reduce the blue in the hills that I seem to get whenever I shoot landscapes. Naturally, non-post processing methods would be prefered but I do suffer from this issue on digital too, and I touch up all of my photos in LR.

In lightroom with the newest masks, just create a color selection mask and use the eye dropper tool on the blue then adjust the color, 10 seconds at most. Due you have the lightroom subscription?

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Monicaa
OP Monicaa Junior Member • Posts: 42

mfinley wrote:

Monicaa wrote:

I am not much of a landscape shooter but I shot this today and was wondering if there's a good way to reduce the blue in the hills that I seem to get whenever I shoot landscapes. Naturally, non-post processing methods would be prefered but I do suffer from this issue on digital too, and I touch up all of my photos in LR

In lightroom with the newest masks, just create a color selection mask and use the eye dropper tool on the blue then adjust the color, 10 seconds at most. Due you have the lightroom subscription?

This is a good method for sure, but it doesn't help for shooting slides. I will certainly use that method in the future, I didn't see the new masks so thanks for mentioning them. They look useful.

Fujifilm X-E3 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 Panasonic S 24-105mm F4 Macro OIS Sigma 105mm F2.8 DG DN Macro Sigma 35mm F2 DG DN
John Crowe
John Crowe Veteran Member • Posts: 3,212

Change colour temperature away ftom blue in post.

Fixing the original exposure is tough.  It does look slightly over exposed which does not help.

I am wondering if it happened in the scanning process, which means changing the settings.  I assume this is film, so did the original look like this?

You may have been better off posting in the film forum.

John Crowe's gear list:John Crowe's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EF 70-200mm F4L USM Canon TS-E 17mm f/4L Kenko Teleplus Pro 300 AF 1.4x Venus Laowa 12mm F2.8 Zero-D +15 more
Monicaa
OP Monicaa Junior Member • Posts: 42

John Crowe wrote:

Change colour temperature away ftom blue in post.

Fixing the original exposure is tough. It does look slightly over exposed which does not help.

I am wondering if it happened in the scanning process, which means changing the settings. I assume this is film, so did the original look like this?

You may have been better off posting in the film forum.

Changing the global temp puts the greens and clouds out of wack. It's not really overexposed, it's just a quite cloudy day with no blue sky in the frame. This is how the slide looked, I tweaked the scan to look like how the slide looks.

I'll crosspost in the film forum, thats a good idea

I tweaked the scan, it's less overexposed than it looks.

mfinley
mfinley Veteran Member • Posts: 6,767

Monicaa wrote:

This is a good method for sure, but it doesn't help for shooting slides.

Try using a polarizer, helps cut through the haze.
Choose a slide stock that is better known to avoid this issue, Velvia? It was known to be the 'landscape' slide film for its warming. I haven't shot a slide film in 30 years, so out of current info, same reason I wouldn't bring a Model T to a drag race. lol

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
Captain Hook
Captain Hook Senior Member • Posts: 2,366
Is this what you are looking for?

Just a few clicks with PS/Nik Plugins:

Is this what you are looking for?

TOTodd Regular Member • Posts: 358

I’d leave the hills as they are, as their color is totally natural. They appear blue due to an atmospheric phenomenon called “Rayleigh scattering”, rather than a color cast.

TOTodd's gear list:TOTodd's gear list
Nikon D610 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 60mm F2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 17-35mm f/2.8D ED-IF +6 more
Jack Calypso Senior Member • Posts: 1,062

In Photoshop, I used Select >Color Range to select the hills, and then used Curves to tone down the blues ans bump up the contrast there:

Gandolphi Senior Member • Posts: 2,730

with film, use a skylight or uv filter.

Monicaa wrote:

Gandolphi's gear list:Gandolphi's gear list
Leica SL (Typ 601) Hasselblad X1D II 50C Leica SL2-S Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm F3.5-4.5 ASPH Leica APO-Summicron-SL 35mm F2 ASPH +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads