God save the Queen

Started Sep 10, 2022 | Discussions
mfinley
mfinley Veteran Member • Posts: 7,162
God save the Queen

I'm sad that Queen Elizabeth has passed. I'm glad that in our trip to the UK we got to experience firsthand how much the British loved their Queen. We have nothing to compare it to here in the US, and even though I can understand their love of their Queen, I can never have the feelings they have for their special relationship to the Royalty.

If you have a favorite picture from the UK you can post it here to honor our closest ally

This was one of my favorites from Dartmoor

-- hide signature --
 mfinley's gear list:mfinley's gear list
Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus M.Zuiko 300mm F4 IS Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0
UncleVanya Senior Member • Posts: 1,318
Re: God save the Queen

From a 2016 trip. Taken with a little Panasonic LX-7 (SOOC) the raw files are better but not handy

UncleVanya's gear list:UncleVanya's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Pentax K100D Pentax K100D Super Pentax K-3 Sony a6300 +42 more
DQ03 Forum Member • Posts: 98

In Memoriam

St Paul’s Cathedral, London

Lan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,781
Rest in peace

Thank you for your long and faithful service your majesty, you will be sorely missed!

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012.

I saw The Queen twice, once when I was five or so, when I think I shook her hand at the 1977 Silver Jubilee procession in London, and second as an adult during her Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2012.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photo.

Escapes Regular Member • Posts: 175

I'm glad that in our trip to the UK we got to experience firsthand how much the British loved their Queen. We have nothing to compare it to here in the US, and even though I can understand their love of their Queen, I can never have the feelings they have for their special relationship to the Royalty.

Not sure if you realise that Queen Elisabeth II was the Monarch of some 15 different countries around the world as well as the head of the Commonwealth of Nations with 54 countries as members, all were part of the Empire, this will now pass to her son King Charles lll. So there is still a lot of love for this woman all the world not just the UK. There is more than just the monarchy involved here there is the strength of the parliamentary democracy that has been adopted by a lot of these countries. A lot of the countries that separated from the monarchy and gone down path of a republic have fallen by the wayside.

Sorry for the quality of my photo but it was lifted from a iPad.

E..

martianphoto Regular Member • Posts: 290

Hello Mike

Thank you for your kind thoughts. We share in that special relationship with our friends in the US.

Gloucester Cathedral

In Memorium - HRH The Duke of Edinburgh Gloucester Cathedral

Tomb of Edward II one of the few royal tombs outside London

'The King we never had' Robert of Normandy eldest son of William the Conqueror

In happier times   -    Buckingham Palace reception

martianphoto's gear list:martianphoto's gear list
Nikon D7100 Nikon D810
Redhenry Senior Member • Posts: 1,373

In July 1981, my brother and I got the train to London to join the crowds on The Strand for the wedding of Charles and Diana. This was the only time I saw the Queen. Picture taken with an old Zenith, plus the scan was done in the 1990s so not top quality. Her Majesty did have the good taste to be going past a camera shop, though!

Redhenry's gear list:Redhenry's gear list
Nikon D40 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G Apple iPhone 13 Pro
Peter Del Veteran Member • Posts: 7,988

I remember

Peter Del

Peter Del's gear list:Peter Del's gear list
Olympus OM-D E-M5 Olympus PEN-F Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 45mm F1.8 +5 more
kciuk aka Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

Mike I hope you did the decent thing and tel that fella that its a road sign not a bus stop , geeze he might still be there waiting .

Travelerdave Regular Member • Posts: 196

Not all current members of the Commonwealth of Nations were part of the British Empire.

What is fallen by the way-side - 65 countries have gained independence from Britten, to name a few, The USA, India, Malaysia, Egypt, Kenya, Jordan, The United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Tonga, Tuvalu.

Travelerdave's gear list:Travelerdave's gear list
Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS +4 more

Travelerdave wrote:

Not all current members of the Commonwealth of Nations were part of the British Empire.

What is fallen by the way-side - 65 countries have gained independence from Britain, to name a few, The USA, India, Malaysia, Egypt, Kenya, Jordan, The United Arab Emirates, Pakistan, Tonga, Tuvalu.

BlueRay2 Forum Pro • Posts: 14,816
Re: Rest in peace

Lan wrote:

Thank you for your long and faithful service your majesty, you will be sorely missed!

The Queen's Diamond Jubilee, 2012.

I saw The Queen twice, once when I was five or so, when I think I shook her hand at the 1977 Silver Jubilee procession in London, and second as an adult during her Golden Jubilee celebrations in 2012.

Apologies for the poor quality of the photo.

actually this is the best photo in the bunch, very well composed, or accidentally taken

-- hide signature --

The eye sees all but the mind shows us what we want. w, Shakespeare

chasg Veteran Member • Posts: 3,748

I got to shake her hand once when I was 13, and have photographed the then Prince Charles on several occasions (events he attended at which I was official photog of the venue). Always gracious, in my personal experience.

Here is a timelapse I took in December 2017 of the sun setting over the palace. Fitting.

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 34,151

Excellent shot with the cow.

Here's Whitehaven (on the coast near the Lake District) on Diamond Jubilee Day 2012. It drizzled in Whitehaven that day, but it poured in London.

NEX-5N with 55mm Micro-Nikkor.

Don Cox

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
rick decker
MOD rick decker Forum Pro • Posts: 19,863

Interesting shot...boats, businesses and homes...I jungle of stuff that works really weell.

-- hide signature --

It is a tough job living in Hawaii but somebody has to do it.
---
http://www.lightreflection.com
http://www.rickswavepics.com

D Cox Forum Pro • Posts: 34,151

rick decker wrote:

Interesting shot...boats, businesses and homes...I jungle of stuff that works really well.

Thanks Rick. Maybe the diagonal line of boats holds it together. And the man on the left.

But I wasn't really trying to be artistic that day, just to get a record of the event.

Don

D Cox's gear list:D Cox's gear list
Sigma fp
lasermom New Member • Posts: 2

Wow! Outstanding capture.

wolfbane Senior Member • Posts: 1,734

Hello mfinley,

Might I be permitted to remind readers that we Brits are not all Royalists?

I for one regret that Oliver Cromwell did not manage to set The Commonwealth on a secure footing. But am glad that the Americans succeeded where we failed.

But I sympathise with a US citizen who commented that if the Founding Fathers had foreseen the election of Mr Trump they might have  decided to stick with King George!

Both our countries are going through difficult circumstances thanks to the election of politicians who have little regard for the conventions that make the system work e.g. that just because you have been elected you are not permitted to pass any legislation you fancy.

It's not easy being a democrat whether you live in a republic or a monarchy, Alistair.

Well said Wolfbane , at least this lovely old lady managed 97 and passed away in the lap of luxury with all the medical care she could have been offered................. unlike some pensioners expected to survive on a British old age pension of  £150 a week  with the hugely rising cost of utilities and food .  I fear many may pass away well before 97 , alone in a small flat  possibly from hypothermia because they can not afford the heating !

Sadly there wont be a state awareness of their passing.

Palindrome2004
Palindrome2004 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,581
a impressive vapor trail in blue sky

>If you have a favorite picture from the UK you can post it here to honor our closest ally

Yes I would.

Best Regards
HAMADA

My family and I enjoyed a 10 days travel abroad at Aug 1997. The Westminster cathedral, in front of Victoria station, which seemed to welcome me with a impressive vapor trail in blue sky.

Palindrome2004's gear list:Palindrome2004's gear list
Canon EOS 7D Nikon D750 Nikon AF-S Micro-Nikkor 105mm F2.8G IF-ED VR Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads