Any plans to mark2 for the 24-105 G F4?

Started Aug 31, 2022 | Discussions
SillyPosition Regular Member • Posts: 240
Any plans to mark2 for the 24-105 G F4?

A year ago I was in the market for zoom lens, found myself eventually settling on the sigma 28-70 f2.8, for its size and range.

Later on I bought the 35GM prime lens, which I love.

I find my sigma not exactly fulfilling my desires, I wish it could cover 24mm, and also have a longer reach. Many times I simply use my 35GM with crop and avoid using the sigma at all.

I look back at the decision making and remember the 24-105 was a good pick, with F4 its good enough for the day (a good candidate together with my 35gm), but I overrulled it because it was heavy, big, and dated to 2017.

We are 5 years later now, and the trend from Sony for mk2 lenses is to shrink/lose weight. Any rumors or knowledge when there might be a renewal for the 24-105?

If it goes down to 500grams or so, 1-2cm less of length and 67mm filter thread, that would be amazing.

SillyPosition's gear list:SillyPosition's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 20-70mm F4 G
Nokiron
Nokiron Senior Member • Posts: 1,478
Re: Any plans to mark2 for the 24-105 G F4?

I can't see a reason why it would be updated. These types of lenses aren't like the GM models where there is a "pursuit of perfection" and a competitive market.

They are essentially treated as kit-lenses, they last until they aren't good enough anymore. I can see this lens exist for many years to come.

If you flip it around and see it from the business side from Sony. The lens is still optically great, it has the new G design language, it can do 30 FPS on the A1 etc. It still ticks all the boxes and nothing is outdated. It is missing an aperture ring, but they have those on the PZ video lenses.

Nokiron's gear list:Nokiron's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R IV Fujifilm GFX 100S Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 Sigma 24-70 F2.8 DG DN +19 more
Dr Al 2010 Regular Member • Posts: 116

I would like to see Sony make a 24-120 to match Nikon's.  The Nikon gets great reviews.  Sony probably could leave out the IS function and let the body do it to save a little weight.  I think the Nikon lens could be plastic, if so I wouldn't want that copied by Sony.  I'll pay the extra weight price to have an aluminum body.

Dr Al 2010's gear list:Dr Al 2010's gear list
Sony a7R IV
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 5,559

Sony have updated just two lenses to Mark II. Both of them were in the very first batch of GM lenses released, and arguably did not match up to the stated goals of the GM vision.

Sony have not expressed any intention of updating other lenses. There has been some speculation that they might update the last of those first three GM lenses (the 85mm f/1.4, although we would love the update to be f/1.2…)

So the “trend”, if there is one, is to update GM lenses which did not quite meet the GM goal.

The 24-105 isn’t a GM lens. So it seems a stretch to expect an update. I would not hold my breath waiting for one.

BTW: you commented on the lens dating to 2015 - the Canon EF 135mm f/2L lens was a well regarded lens and dated to 1996 - I think it has been discontinued recently, but it’s design was over 20 years old and it was still for sale. The Canon EF 24-105mm announced in 2005 was replaced by a mark II in 2016, so it lasted 11 years. 2015 is not very long ago.

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony a9 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +8 more
QuietOC
QuietOC Veteran Member • Posts: 7,149

There is a slightly newer SEL24105/2 version, but according to Sony the change was limited to the country of manufacture. Sony does make internal design revisions to Alpha products without notification.

It doesn't support the Aperture Drive in AF Silent Priority option in the A7RIV and more recent cameras. The 28-60 kit zoom does supports that.

But there are many, more dated FE lenses. The 70-300 G OSS and every Sony FE lens released before it are limited to 15 FPS AF-C.

QuietOC's gear list:QuietOC's gear list
Pentax Q7 Sony a7R IV NEX-5T Sony a77 II Sony DT 16-105mm F3.5-5.6 +103 more
travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182

SillyPosition wrote:

A year ago I was in the market for zoom lens, found myself eventually settling on the sigma 28-70 f2.8, for its size and range.

Later on I bought the 35GM prime lens, which I love.

I find my sigma not exactly fulfilling my desires, I wish it could cover 24mm, and also have a longer reach. Many times I simply use my 35GM with crop and avoid using the sigma at all.

I look back at the decision making and remember the 24-105 was a good pick, with F4 its good enough for the day (a good candidate together with my 35gm), but I overrulled it because it was heavy, big, and dated to 2017.

We are 5 years later now, and the trend from Sony for mk2 lenses is to shrink/lose weight. Any rumors or knowledge when there might be a renewal for the 24-105?

If it goes down to 500grams or so, 1-2cm less of length and 67mm filter thread, that would be amazing.

The 24-105G was considered the best standard f/4 zoom on the market when it came out. It has now been equalled - perhaps surpassed - by the Canon 24-105, the Nikon 24-120 and, I would say, the Tamron 28-200, which is still 4.5 at 100. That being said, none of them surpass it by a wide margin (if at all).

I do think this will get an upgrade, but I would suggest we are still some years away from it. I would expect upgrades to the 24-240, 16-35/2.8 and some others first. I did sell mine, but it is still a very good lens capable of performing on high MP sensors and with fast AF.

Photos taken with my Sony 24-105G: https://flic.kr/s/aHsmegn6Dk

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony a7R V Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +9 more
moficera Senior Member • Posts: 1,030

Dr Al 2010 wrote:

I would like to see Sony make a 24-120 to match Nikon's. The Nikon gets great reviews. Sony probably could leave out the IS function and let the body do it to save a little weight. I think the Nikon lens could be plastic, if so I wouldn't want that copied by Sony. I'll pay the extra weight price to have an aluminum body.

The current 24-105 G IS plastic, no copying needed on this part. Also OSS helps a lot in low light that I would not want to miss.

moficera's gear list:moficera's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a9 II Sony a7R V Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Tamron 35-150mm F2-2.8 Di III VXD +32 more
neilt3
neilt3 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372
Only Sony know's

All people on a furum can tell you is pure guesswork.

Anyone that knows the answer to this work for Sony and neither can they or will they answer your question, even if they read this furum .

The first anyone knows will be if or when Sony announces a new lens .

New models are usually announced within two months of me buying the earlier model .

As I currently have no intention of buying this lens , a mk ii is not likely in the offing .

If I decide to buy it next year ( too much going on at the moment to splash out on something I don't really need ) , then you can guarantee a new model will soon be announced after then ! 

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +70 more
AlephNull Veteran Member • Posts: 5,559
Re: Only Sony know's

neilt3 wrote:

Anyone that knows the answer to this work for Sony and neither can they or will they answer your question, even if they read this furum .

New models are usually announced within two months of me buying the earlier model .

As I currently have no intention of buying this lens , a mk ii is not likely in the offing .

If I decide to buy it next year ( too much going on at the moment to splash out on something I don't really need ) , then you can guarantee a new model will soon be announced after then !

So if the OP wants a new version they need to persuade you to buy the existing one. That’s a lot simpler process than persuading Sony…

AlephNull's gear list:AlephNull's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7R V Sony a9 III Sony FE 85mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 24mm F1.4 GM +8 more
neilt3
neilt3 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,372
Re: Only Sony know's

AlephNull wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

So if the OP wants a new version they need to persuade you to buy the existing one. That’s a lot simpler process than persuading Sony…

Or better still , if they splash out and buy me one , I'll be fixed up with the old tech and no doubt Sony will then announce the mkii shortly after !  

neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +70 more
Bijo Sam
Bijo Sam Contributing Member • Posts: 655

Hopefully they can make it a bit more compact, i dont mind loosing the OSS for a more compact 24-105 and hopefully its a as sharp as the 16-35 G lens because while the current one is sharp, its not as sharp as the F2.8 lenses whereas teh 16-35G compares with sharpness of the F2.8 lenses in the same range

Bijo Sam's gear list:Bijo Sam's gear list
Sony a7 IV Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 +15 more
OP SillyPosition Regular Member • Posts: 240

Bijo Sam wrote:

Hopefully they can make it a bit more compact, i dont mind loosing the OSS for a more compact 24-105 and hopefully its a as sharp as the 16-35 G lens because while the current one is sharp, its not as sharp as the F2.8 lenses whereas teh 16-35G compares with sharpness of the F2.8 lenses in the same range

Where does OSS comes into play with FF IBIS cameras? It adds to the stability of film taking, or is it even more valuable for video work (reduces shake even with gimbal?)

SillyPosition's gear list:SillyPosition's gear list
Sony a7C Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM Sony FE 20-70mm F4 G
Bijo Sam
Bijo Sam Contributing Member • Posts: 655

SillyPosition wrote:

Bijo Sam wrote:

Where does OSS comes into play with FF IBIS cameras? It adds to the stability of film taking, or is it even more valuable for video work (reduces shake even with gimbal?)

For video it helps with micro-jitter. IBIS helps a bit but is less effective at longer focal lengths (past 50\70mm). OSS makes a more noticeable difference to micro-jitter than just IBIS...I tested this myself. Sony claims that IBIS and OSS work in tandem.

Bijo Sam's gear list:Bijo Sam's gear list
Sony a7 IV Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Nikon AF Nikkor 180mm f/2.8D ED-IF Carl Zeiss Distagon T* 1,4/35 Carl Zeiss Planar T* 1,4/85 +15 more
Malling Senior Member • Posts: 1,663

It took Sony almost 8 years to make a new 16-35/4 lens and that was a lens with massive copy variance, slow AF and other noticeable IQ issue on many copies. Sony didn’t think about releasing it before it could serve a different purpose eg. Vlogging and video for a new range of bodies.

The 24-105G is a lens that is noticeable better then the lens above, a lens that to a high degree can follow up on the AF front and it’s only about 5 years of age.  Although I do hope they release one next year, I must admit it’s more a hope then something I actually realistically think will happen. As other points out, Sony seem more willing to do it on those lenses that dos not live up to the GM tag and perhaps other lenses that can serve other purposes. This lens however isn’t a GM and as a lens it can actually  perfectly well serve other purposes well enough as it is, not at least due to the OSS and as said it’s optically fine for G lens. If the other is anything to go by it will take additional 3 years before we see an update, however as this is better even 5 years might not even be unrealistic.

As I see it there are few lenses as it stands that realistic can be updated now.

85GM

16-35GM

100GM

70-200G f/4 again sony could do something special with it.

24-70ZA f/4 that could be made into a PZ24-70G f/4, what speaks against it, is the existence of the 24-105/4, so I find it to be the least realistic of those 5 lenses.

I just don’t see much chance for updates on 24-105G, 70-300G, 12-24G and 90G that other ask for as it currently stands. It might happen eventually, I just don’t particularly hopeful it will happen anytime soon.

All the rest forget it, those will never be updated.

jrp Contributing Member • Posts: 661

I agree that Sony seems to be prioritising high performance, high price lenses for revision.  I doubt that they'll update the 100mm as it is already stunning (if you want to retain a bit of background context, rather than obliterating it).  I could see them adding a 105mm f2 or f1.4.

The 85mm needs to be a compact f1.2 to leapfrog the Sigma f1.4.

travelinbri_74
travelinbri_74 Veteran Member • Posts: 5,182

I mostly agree with this - except I would also see these lenses getting updated before a 24-105:

24-200G

50/2.8 macro

70-300G

28/2

all of them are in need of an update before the 24-105.

-- hide signature --
 travelinbri_74's gear list:travelinbri_74's gear list
Ricoh GR III Sony a7R III Sony a7R V Sony 1.4x Teleconverter Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 +9 more
Malling Senior Member • Posts: 1,663

travelinbri_74 wrote:

I mostly agree with this - except I would also see these lenses getting updated before a 24-105:

24-200G

50/2.8 macro

As it’s neither GM or G it will never see an update, the best you can hope for is third part launch a new 50mm macro as Sony definitely won’t make a G or GM version.

70-300G

Unfortunately I don’t see Sony caring much about updating it.

28/2

More or less same reply as above, you need to hope for a new 28mm unrelated to the current either from third part or a G or GM (probably unlikely to be GM)

Yes, but I’ll be massively surprised if Sony bothers

-- hide signature --
Impulses Forum Pro • Posts: 11,806

travelinbri_74 wrote:

24-200G

They don't make a 24-200... And the 24-240 isn't a G branded lens. I think the only reason to update it is if they wanted to steal sales from Tamron's excellent 28-200, but that might not be their priority at all.

50/2.8 macro

70-300G

28/2

I'm with Malling and others here, I doubt any of the non-G lenses will ever see direct updates, maybe some sort of replacement with similar specs but probably not an mk II. Laowa is supposedly about to announce a 58/2.8 2x macro btw, but I dunno if it's FF or APS-C.

Edit: Latest leak revealed it's a fairly beefy FF macro (67mm filters, >100mm long).

I think the first 3rd party to make a solid 28mm prime will find some sales merely by default, but the Sony 28/2 is still great on lower res bodies and/or if you don't need to shoot it wide open.

Impulses's gear list:Impulses's gear list
Panasonic GX850 Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 75mm F1.8 Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Samyang AF 75mm F1.8 FE +34 more
The Mad Kiwi Senior Member • Posts: 1,106

AlephNull

BTW: you commented on the lens dating to 2015 - the Canon EF 135mm f/2L lens was a well regarded lens and dated to 1996 - I think it has been discontinued recently, but it’s design was over 20 years old and it was still for sale. The Canon EF 24-105mm announced in 2005 was replaced by a mark II in 2016, so it lasted 11 years. 2015 is not very long ago.

yeah, but Canon are miserable like that, the 85 1.8 and 50 1.4 ware 30 years old and Canon never updated those even though they were outdated rubbish. Canon just to wanted to push buyers into higher priced products. Canon have always screwed their customers. It was one of the reasons I switched brands.

I don’t think we’ll see a new 24-105 yet though, mainly because it’s still a pretty good lens sharpness wise.

The Mad Kiwi's gear list:The Mad Kiwi's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DC-G9 Sony a7 III Sony a7R IV Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm F4 ZA OSS +9 more
WarrenPeas
WarrenPeas Senior Member • Posts: 1,078

It would probably be unlikely.  The lens is still holds its own even today for the purpose it serves.  Sony would have other priorities.  Personally, I really wish they would bring a 24-240 Mark II.

-- hide signature --

IG: @AlexFotozNYC

WarrenPeas's gear list:WarrenPeas's gear list
Sony a7R V Sony a7CR Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN Sony FE 35mm F1.4 GM +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads