Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Ric_01 New Member • Posts: 8
Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Hi,

What shutter speed should I use for flash, on a 125 asa film please?

My gut reaction would be 1/60th.

But I understand the Bronica does an auto thing when it detects a flash unit attached.

Thanks

Ric

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Ric_01 wrote:

Hi,

What shutter speed should I use for flash, on a 125 asa film please?

My gut reaction would be 1/60th.

But I understand the Bronica does an auto thing when it detects a flash unit attached.

Thanks

Ric

They use a leaf shutter in the lens rather than a focal plane shutter of a 35mm SLR .

As the flash fires when the shutter is fully open , you can use flash up to the maximum S/S of 1/500th second , so it depends on how much ambient light you want to capture how long you keep the shutter open for .

The Bronica ETRS and ETRSi work the same .

Why not read or download a manual ( if you don't have one ) and get the best out of your camera ?

Get it here , and make a donation so he can continue to run this valuable website  ; https://www.cameramanuals.org/bronica/bronica_sq-a.pdf

 neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +66 more
Marc-LZ Junior Member • Posts: 38
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

If that particular model does not support TTL, you have two options. You can buy a flash meter or you can buy a used flash that has automatic aperture settings. I'm guessing that these are pretty cheap nowadays.

Horiz Opposed
Horiz Opposed Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?
1

Neilt3 gave you a good answer.

In addition, aperture controls flash exposure, shutter speed controls ambient. Your camera syncs at all shutter speeds.

Do you have a flash meter? If not, getting the flash exposure right will be very tough. In a fixed lens to subject situation you can try mimicking it with digital to check your exposure, but if you and the subjects are moving, you are going to want TTL.

This is the kind of question (using flash) that people write books about. Hard to cover it here in a few sentences!

Look around online for posts. This is a good place to start: https://strobist.blogspot.com/2015/08/blog-view.html

-- hide signature --

Ross

OP Ric_01 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Thanks. I have fully read the manual, however the section on flash photography is terse and, to me at least, ambiguous - hence my post here. I am more used to 35mm SLR's &, in terms of Bronica flash settings,  am no wiser.

A very basic overview, for use of flash on the Bronica - with example settings & likely outcomes - would be helpful.

Am using a Centon F.G.3.0 flash unit, which I have tested, & works with the Bronica.

https://filmcamerastore.co.uk/products/centon-f-g-3-0-external-flash-unit-for-35mm-film-camera

By this time tomorrow I will have used the Bronica with flash, so I will stay with 1/60th shutter speed at asa 125 film, & hope for the best, I guess.

Regards.

OP Ric_01 New Member • Posts: 8
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Thank you,

So are you saying I can stay with 125th second and the camera will adjust to the aperture?

I'd use a mid aperture, F4 - F5.6, according to the Centon guide.

All I want is for some help from the flash to avoid camera-shake / blur, so I'm looking for a rough guide. Indoor subjects.

The photography is experimental, so I am not asking for exact settings for any one situation, please.

Horiz Opposed
Horiz Opposed Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

But it is too general an issue to answer with sample settings. At the very least we would need the guide number for your flash.

Lets say it is GN90. At 10’, using 100 iso film, your f stop would be f/9, or close to it. (This is from distant memory. If I am wrong, someone will say so.)

Every flash is a different amount of power. Without a flash meter, or a guide number, who would know what settings to use.

-- hide signature --

Ross

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,970
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

The difference between you using it on 1/60th and 1/125th is how much of the ambient light in the background you will record. The subject will have (in practical terms) the same amount of light from the flash.

neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Ric_01 wrote:

Thanks. I have fully read the manual, however the section on flash photography is terse and, to me at least, ambiguous - hence my post here. I am more used to 35mm SLR's &, in terms of Bronica flash settings, am no wiser.

A very basic overview, for use of flash on the Bronica - with example settings & likely outcomes - would be helpful.

Am using a Centon F.G.3.0 flash unit, which I have tested, & works with the Bronica.

https://filmcamerastore.co.uk/products/centon-f-g-3-0-external-flash-unit-for-35mm-film-camera

By this time tomorrow I will have used the Bronica with flash, so I will stay with 1/60th shutter speed at asa 125 film, & hope for the best, I guess.

Regards.

Did you read the user manual for the flash ?

It tells you how it works in that .

There's not a lot about how to use the flash in the camera manual , because that is flash specific and is in the flash guns manual . How to use the camera with flash is in the camera manual , your asking how to use the flash gun now .

You were asking about flash sync speed first .

As already explained the camera can be set to any shutter speed as the flash sync speed is anything up to 1/500th sec .

The flash you refer to has three settings .

Two automatic exposure ones for two given aperture values , and one full manual setting where it fires a full power and the aperture controls exposure . ( a flash meter will be required )

If the lighting of the scene is largely being done by the flash , it tells you on the flash what aperture to set the lens to .

Set the slider on the flash to the ISO of the film your using , and all the information you need is on its chart .

ie , the camera to subject distance and the aperture required for correct exposure .

Shutter speed controls the ambient light .

Without knowing the meter readings of a specific scene and how far your subject is , no one can instruct you what shutter speed and aperture to set things up with .

Read the flashes manual or buy a book on lighting . You'll save having a lot of wasted film .

If the flashes trigger voltage is safe to use on digital cameras , experiment on digital .

You'll be restricted with a maximum shutter speed of 1/125th second , but you'll learn how a flash works without wasting film .

 neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +66 more
Heritage Cameras
Heritage Cameras Senior Member • Posts: 2,217
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

neilt3 wrote:

Ric_01 wrote:

Am using a Centon F.G.3.0 flash unit, which I have tested, & works with the Bronica.

If the flashes trigger voltage is safe to use on digital cameras , experiment on digital .

It probably isn't!

The standard (non-dedicated) Centon FG30 has a very high trigger voltage - over 100v from memory. The later FG30D dedicated versions are low voltage, though.

-- hide signature --

Dave, HCL

 Heritage Cameras's gear list:Heritage Cameras's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Sony a7 Canon EF 24-85mm f/3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 100-300mm f/4.5-5.6 USM
neilt3
neilt3 Senior Member • Posts: 2,874
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Heritage Cameras wrote:

neilt3 wrote:

Ric_01 wrote:

Am using a Centon F.G.3.0 flash unit, which I have tested, & works with the Bronica.

If the flashes trigger voltage is safe to use on digital cameras , experiment on digital .

It probably isn't!

The standard (non-dedicated) Centon FG30 has a very high trigger voltage - over 100v from memory. The later FG30D dedicated versions are low voltage, though.

Probably not , the OP needs to check for themselves rather than have someone give then specific instructions , it's their equipment after all .

The information is readily available for those who are prepared to look .

https://www.botzilla.com/page/strobeVolts.html

 neilt3's gear list:neilt3's gear list
Minolta DiMAGE 7 Minolta DiMAGE 7Hi Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z5 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A2 Konica Minolta DiMAGE A200 +66 more
Horiz Opposed
Horiz Opposed Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Ric_01 wrote:

Thank you,

So are you saying I can stay with 125th second and the camera will adjust to the aperture?

I'd use a mid aperture, F4 - F5.6, according to the Centon guide.

All I want is for some help from the flash to avoid camera-shake / blur, so I'm looking for a rough guide. Indoor subjects.

The photography is experimental, so I am not asking for exact settings for any one situation, please.

The camera won’t adjust anything unless you are using a TTL set up, if it is even capable of such.

Again, this is a very complicated subject to try to drill into in detail here. One reason is that the answer you want depends on what sort of look you are after.

Simply, you can use any shutter speed on a leaf shutter, and the flash exposure will be the same in all. Why? Because the flash itself is going off in about 1/8000 of a second so the shutter at 1/500 is still open long enough to capture the full frame, unlike a focal plane shutter which is only fully open at its sync speed.

(FOCAL PLANE- above sync speed, the first curtain has left the gate and before it gets to the other side, the second curtain has begun to follow it, meaning only that slit is open when a flash fires)

But here is the thing, your ambient light exposure will be affected as you slow or speed up the shutter, and affected by the aperture you pick. And that is where the answer you want gets hard to provide. Personally, I think the best event photos are ones where the lighting used is so well blended that the viewer isn’t aware of them, a nice balance between the flash exposure, and the ambient. Others like what I call the black cave look, where the subjects who are lit by the flash look great, but the rest of the scene is too dark to see.

Anything above 1/60, combined with the flash stopping the motion, should be safe, and in such a use* as here, with the flash on the orange setting, you would set the shutter to 1/60, and the lens to between f/8-11. Or, for more ambient exposure you would use the blue setting, and open up to between f/4 and 5.6, leaving the shutter speed where it is.
But how much ambient you get with that setting can’t be known here because it will vary based on what the general light level is in that usage. Is it daytime, with lots of windows, or evening with only room lights?

That flash is the old style “auto”, meaning it uses a small window in itself to measure and control the amount of light. There are settings on the back that tell you what aperture to use, and you decide based on how far you are going to be from your subjects (generally) and how much dof you want.

*You set the guide to the ISO your are using, and pick the color f-stop the corresponds to that, as shown here. In this example, if you had selected the orange setting on the front, you would set the aperture to halfway between f/8 and f/11.

I hesitate to mention it, but there is a technique called dragging the shutter. I have never used it with medium format, but use it all the time with FF digital. The goal of such is to get enough ambient exposure that the rest of the room is opened up like we see it with our eyes. To do such, I start with a flash setting of about f/4-5.6, and set the shutter at 1/30-1/60. As I said in an earlier reply, the flash will freeze movement on anything it hits, and if you are careful the other things in the frame will be ok at that shutter speed. I have never used anything slower than 1/15 because then I think you will get unacceptable motion in the rest of the room.

-- hide signature --

Ross

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,970
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

The SQ A just had a standard PC socket. The later SQ AI had a multi pin for TTL via an SCA adapter (Metz )

So apart from been able to use any shutte speed , you either use the flash on manual or set the Aperture on the camera according to the A on the flash.

For example you could dial in the Orange setting , have the lens on f/5.6 and the flash will work out the duration to cover between 1 and 9 metres or ,say, Blue if you want to use 11 reducing the max distance to 4.5 M.

Horiz Opposed
Horiz Opposed Contributing Member • Posts: 604
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

FrancoD wrote:

The SQ A just had a standard PC socket. The later SQ AI had a multi pin for TTL via an SCA adapter (Metz )

So apart from been able to use any shutte speed , you either use the flash on manual or set the Aperture on the camera according to the A on the flash.

For example you could dial in the Orange setting , have the lens on f/5.6 and the flash will work out the duration to cover between 1 and 9 metres or ,say, Blue if you want to use 11 reducing the max distance to 4.5 M.

Which is what I said, stated in other words.

Your reply should have been not to me, but to the OP who is the one trying to understand this. I used these type flashes 40 years ago, and understand how they work.

-- hide signature --

Ross

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,970
Re: Bronica Zenza SQ-A flash?

Horiz Opposed wrote:

FrancoD wrote:

The SQ A just had a standard PC socket. The later SQ AI had a multi pin for TTL via an SCA adapter (Metz )

So apart from been able to use any shutte speed , you either use the flash on manual or set the Aperture on the camera according to the A on the flash.

For example you could dial in the Orange setting , have the lens on f/5.6 and the flash will work out the duration to cover between 1 and 9 metres or ,say, Blue if you want to use 11 reducing the max distance to 4.5 M.

Which is what I said, stated in other words.

Your reply should have been not to me, but to the OP who is the one trying to understand this. I used these type flashes 40 years ago, and understand how they work.

Well you did write "The camera won’t adjust anything unless you are using a TTL set up, if it is even capable of such." I was just letting you and the OP know that it isn't able to do TTL.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads