Canon RP issues...

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 285
Canon RP issues...

A few weeks ago, I started having an issue where my EVF would not wake up right away once I turned my camera on.  It would not respond when I brought the camera up to my eye.   Initially, it went from an instantaneous response, to taking 10 to 15 seconds to respond initially, then it was fine after that.  But, if I turned the camera off, it was random as to how quickly it would respond once I turned it back on. 
It has gotten worse and worse, with me having to try everything from unseating and reseating the lens to resetting the camera back to factory specs. Today I even tried restoring the firmware.

Today I had issues with the camera turning on when the switch was off, and turning off when it was on (several times).  
What gives? 
Has anyone else gone through this?  
Is there a home fix or is this $85 to Canon to evaluate plus easily $400 to $600 worth of repair? 
Is it worth having a local camera shop do the work instead, if they can?  
I don't want to junk the camera. I also don't want to invest more than half the cost of a new one into repairing it so I can have no more than a 90 day warranty on the repair work.  A year and a half is TOO small a lifespan for even a used Canon product (purchased for $729, 5/26/21)

Thanks!

Mark3794 Forum Member • Posts: 61
Re: Canon RP issues...

Start with resetting camera settings and also try to clean the infrared sensor near the evf.

Mark3794's gear list:Mark3794's gear list
Canon EOS 5D Mark III Canon EOS RP Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 70-200mm F4L IS USM Canon EF 24-70mm F4L IS USM +2 more
OP gedansky Regular Member • Posts: 285

Mark3794 wrote:

Start with resetting camera settings and also try to clean the infrared sensor near the evf.

Thanks!  I have done that several times.  BUT... the one thing I hadn't done was swap cards.  My 256gb card was very close to full and, for reasons I can't understand, it was slowing down or stopping peripheral processes.  So, I popped the card out and the camera woke up like new.  I then put in a fresh card and moved my regular card over to my Mac to backup and delete the images.

Thanks again!

Karl_Guttag Senior Member • Posts: 1,779

gedansky wrote:

Mark3794 wrote:

Thanks! I have done that several times. BUT... the one thing I hadn't done was swap cards. My 256gb card was very close to full and, for reasons I can't understand, it was slowing down or stopping peripheral processes. So, I popped the card out and the camera woke up like new. I then put in a fresh card and moved my regular card over to my Mac to backup and delete the images.

Thanks again!

It is always the last thing you try 😊, and something that "shouldn't be it" is "it." Thanks for reporting back on the cause. It might help someone else.

Karl_Guttag's gear list:Karl_Guttag's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 15-35mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-70mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM Canon RF 24-240mm F4-6.3 +14 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads