Old cameras hard " leather" ? or something else and how we care it?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
A_SCY
A_SCY Senior Member • Posts: 1,021
Old cameras hard " leather" ? or something else and how we care it?

Hello i am curious about the material of some old film cameras . it looks more like a hard plastic than leather. i am pointing here a photos  of the nikon because i own the camera its like a hard plastic that a leather. I saw also the same in other older cameras so what kind of material is it and how we get care of it?

A_SCY's gear list:A_SCY's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more
ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
KCK14 Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Re: Old cameras hard " leather" ? or something else and how we care it?

While called "leatherette" it is a vinyl of some sort.  Some cameras will last just fine, some it seems to harden and become brittle.  When finishing working on a camera, we would wipe it down with a very small amount of Armor All to shine it up.   I doubt it had any long term preservation, just looked better.

KCK14's gear list:KCK14's gear list
Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro
kamituel
kamituel Senior Member • Posts: 1,379

KCK14 wrote:

While called "leatherette" it is a vinyl of some sort. Some cameras will last just fine, some it seems to harden and become brittle. When finishing working on a camera, we would wipe it down with a very small amount of Armor All to shine it up. I doubt it had any long term preservation, just looked better.

Depending on the camera it could also be "vulcanite" (vulcanised rubber).

-- hide signature --
Autonerd Senior Member • Posts: 3,346

Yup, leatherette glued to a hard (usually metal, sometimes plastic) surface so it feels pretty solid. Pretty much maintenance-free, that stuff is, and they sell pre-cut replacement kits for older cameras.

Aaron

-- hide signature --
FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,982

I think that your F2 , like the Nikon F, has a leatherette skin.

Defined as "

Leatherette is a synthetic material designed specifically to mimic leather. It’s also known as fake leather, faux leather, pleather, and synthetic leather, although in the furniture industry, leatherette is the most common name.

It’s typically made from natural or synthetic cloth fibers coated in PVC or polyurethane and contains no animal by-products.

A_SCY
OP A_SCY Senior Member • Posts: 1,021

A_SCY wrote:

Hello i am curious about the material of some old film cameras . it looks more like a hard plastic than leather. i am pointing here a photos of the nikon because i own the camera its like a hard plastic that a leather. I saw also the same in other older cameras so what kind of material is it and how we get care of it?

Thank you all for the answers.

I also find this in leatherette wikipedia

" Leatherette is also made by covering a fabric base with a plastic. The fabric can be made of natural or synthetic fiber which is then covered with a soft polyvinyl chloride (PVC) layer. Leatherette is used in bookbinding and was common on the casings of 20th century cameras."

So thank you for your answers.

A_SCY's gear list:A_SCY's gear list
Fujifilm FinePix S5 Pro Nikon D700 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH +9 more

kamituel wrote:

KCK14 wrote:

While called "leatherette" it is a vinyl of some sort. Some cameras will last just fine, some it seems to harden and become brittle. When finishing working on a camera, we would wipe it down with a very small amount of Armor All to shine it up. I doubt it had any long term preservation, just looked better.

Depending on the camera it could also be "vulcanite" (vulcanised rubber).

That was used by Leica on their RF cameras.   I"m not aware of any other use except for some Leica copies?  Very hard to patch if it started to break off.  Both the screw mount and the M series, the body shell came off the bottom and did not have any screws under the covering.  Body held on by the screws in the lens mount.

Nikon D7000 Olympus E-M1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 Olympus PEN-F Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro

Other than some antique cameras, the only wide use of actual leather that I can remember  were Rollei's ?

Tomasg71
Tomasg71 Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Konica Autoreflex T4 and TC have probably a different leatherette or something similar, they are reported as being softer and very prone to shrinkage.

Tomasg71 wrote:

Konica Autoreflex T4 and TC have probably a different leatherette or something similar, they are reported as being softer and very prone to shrinkage.

Yes the spongy stuff Konica and I think some Yashicas and Minoltas used didn't hold up that well .

It was a cloth backing with a thin layer of foam and a very thin layer of black plastic. it would shrink, or the outer black material would crack or flake off.  It was also difficult to reinstall after service and have it look original.

Tomasg71
Tomasg71 Contributing Member • Posts: 546

Waiting for my T4 to arrive, in the mean time i bought a replacement leatherette.

FrancoD Forum Pro • Posts: 18,982

KCK14 wrote:

Tomasg71 wrote:

Yes the spongy stuff Konica and I think some Yashicas and Minoltas used didn't hold up that well .

It was a cloth backing with a thin layer of foam and a very thin layer of black plastic. it would shrink, or the outer black material would crack or flake off. It was also difficult to reinstall after service and have it look original.

I think that we used to get more Yashica FX (3 and D) damaged than any other camera.

That immediately took 30-50% off the trade-in value.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads