Repairing the rubber pad in an XQ2

Started 4 months ago | Questions
paulhoppe_photography
paulhoppe_photography Regular Member • Posts: 247
Repairing the rubber pad in an XQ2

Hello,

I gave my daughter my XQ2 so she can take a few pictures with me. She is still in kindergarden but she wants to do what her Dad does...it was 100€ Ebay find so I am alright if the camera gets damaged. It already has enough scuff marks anyway but it works fine. Besides at her age everything she can play with becomes automatically "hers" anyway

Problem is on my XQ2 the little rubber pad / thumb grip came off. Under it was a pretty thick layer of some kind of sticky glue. I cleaned it off with IPA and tried some superglue but it fell off a few days later...now with crusty superglue residue.

Has anyone had this problem before (maybe with another camera). How can I safely reattached the rubber pad. If not I'll put some black tape over it so my daughter won't injure herself in the sharp post and sticking up (for holding the pad). But that would obscure the status LED.

Thanks anyway...maybe some of you have an idea...

-- hide signature --
 paulhoppe_photography's gear list:paulhoppe_photography's gear list
Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR III +1 more
ANSWER:
Fujifilm XQ2
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,782
Re: Repairing the rubber pad in an XQ2

paulhoppe_photography wrote:

Hello,

I gave my daughter my XQ2 so she can take a few pictures with me. She is still in kindergarden but she wants to do what her Dad does...it was 100€ Ebay find so I am alright if the camera gets damaged. It already has enough scuff marks anyway but it works fine. Besides at her age everything she can play with becomes automatically "hers" anyway

Problem is on my XQ2 the little rubber pad / thumb grip came off. Under it was a pretty thick layer of some kind of sticky glue. I cleaned it off with IPA and tried some superglue but it fell off a few days later...now with crusty superglue residue.

Has anyone had this problem before (maybe with another camera). How can I safely reattached the rubber pad. If not I'll put some black tape over it so my daughter won't injure herself in the sharp post and sticking up (for holding the pad). But that would obscure the status LED.

Thanks anyway...maybe some of you have an idea...

I would clean the area very well with isopropyl alcohol, then use krazyglue gel to attach. I think it will stay on there good then.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro
The People of the Red and White stand with the people of the yellow and blue!

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
selected answer This post was selected as the answer by the original poster.
Yawlen Z
Yawlen Z Regular Member • Posts: 109

Could this reply by Rightsaidfred Martin Lang to a similar question of mine be helpful to you as well?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/65938589

paulhoppe_photography
OP paulhoppe_photography Regular Member • Posts: 247

I'll have to see if I kind find that kind of glue in Germany. Thanks though...

-- hide signature --
Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 16mm F2.8 Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 R WR Fujifilm XQ2 Ricoh GR III +1 more
The Point and Shoot Pro
The Point and Shoot Pro Senior Member • Posts: 2,782

paulhoppe_photography wrote:

I'll have to see if I kind find that kind of glue in Germany. Thanks though...

Gorilla glue gel would work as well if you have that brand.

-- hide signature --

Fronterra Photography Tours
One Lens, No Problem
The Point and Shoot Pro
The People of the Red and White stand with the people of the yellow and blue!

The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list:The Point and Shoot Pro's gear list
Canon PowerShot A570 IS Kodak DC220 Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X-S1 Apple iPhone 11 +4 more
paulhoppe_photography
OP paulhoppe_photography Regular Member • Posts: 247

Ah...it's cyanoacrylate in gel form...I ought to find something like that...thanks

-- hide signature --
MummRa Regular Member • Posts: 242

I'll use shoes glue (toluene based) , its easier to remove than cyanoacrylate and less corrosive to plastics.

3M double side tape its good too (used this to fix rubber grips on my old nikon)

-- hide signature --

Quien te quita lo bailado.

MummRa's gear list:MummRa's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X-T2 +1 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads