one shot vs servo

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Chuck6345 Regular Member • Posts: 216
one shot vs servo

When taking still shot of moving subject (e.g. duck swimming toward me), will one shot or servo give me the sharper (in focus) image? [Camera R5]

Jon555 Veteran Member • Posts: 7,660
Re: one shot vs servo

Chuck6345 wrote:

When taking still shot of moving subject (e.g. duck swimming toward me), will one shot or servo give me the sharper (in focus) image? [Camera R5]

Generally servo, but it depends on how the whole AF system is set up. As long as it's locked on it will predict where the subject is at the moment the shutter opens, rather than shoot at the distance it was at when you half-pressed the shutter.
This isn't true of every camera, it depends on how they do continuous AF (a lot of the Panasonics you'd probably be better with single-AF, for example).

Jon555's gear list:Jon555's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 950 Fujifilm FinePix Real 3D W3 Sony RX100 V Canon EOS 5DS R Panasonic GH5 +31 more
Quarkcharmed
Quarkcharmed Senior Member • Posts: 2,434

Chuck6345 wrote:

Ducks with the Canon R5 - servo with eye tracking.

Quarkcharmed's gear list:Quarkcharmed's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II USM Canon Extender EF 2x III Canon EF 24-70mm F2.8L II USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM
MarshallG
MarshallG Veteran Member • Posts: 8,579

Chuck6345 wrote:

If you bought a Canon EOS R5 and you don't know when to use Servo or One Shot, you should either enroll in a photography class, or return the camera. Buying that camera is like buying a very expensive guitar: It will not make better music if you don't know how to play it. In fact, you'll likely get better photos with an iPhone if you don't understand photography.

I'm not trying to be insulting, I'm giving you the hard truth that you need to hear. Try a local camera club or a community college. Photography is fantastic; it's been my hobby for over 40 years and I'm still learning all the time. You'll enjoy it a lot if you take some classes from a good instructor.

MarshallG's gear list:MarshallG's gear list
Canon EOS R5 Canon EF 50mm F1.4 USM Canon EF 85mm F1.8 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F2.8L II USM Canon Extender EF 1.4x II +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads