Manual Focus and Magnification on Z Cameras

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 290
Manual Focus and Magnification on Z Cameras

I think i know the answer to this question but thought I'd check.

Is there any way on Z cameras to magnify focus and then half-press the shutter button to return to normal view before taking a shot?  I've set up the AF button on my Z7ii to magnify my image but it doesn't return to normal view when pressing the shutter button which means I have to press the AF button again to return to normal view. On Fuji and Sony cameras, I can half-press the shutter and it drops me back to the normal view. It may seem like a small thing but once you get used to the automatic return to normal, it becomes frustrating when it doesn't, especially in MF mode.

PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 2,359
Re: Manual Focus and Magnification on Z Cameras

BaldEgo wrote:

Is there any way on Z cameras to magnify focus and then half-press the shutter button to return to normal view before taking a shot? I've set up the AF button on my Z7ii to magnify my image but it doesn't return to normal view when pressing the shutter button which means I have to press the AF button again to return to normal view. On Fuji and Sony cameras, I can half-press the shutter and it drops me back to the normal view. It may seem like a small thing but once you get used to the automatic return to normal, it becomes frustrating when it doesn't, especially in MF mode.

When in AF-C mode you may want to confirm focus while magnified - I do that quite frequently. If pressing the shutter switched back to normal magnification that would not work.

As I have said to others when they express frustration after moving from other systems, it’s better to take the attitude that you must learn to adapt to how the manufacturer designed what you are using today rather than wishing today’s thing was the same as you were used to from yesterday. After all, there was a deficiency, or desired feature, that caused you to move and presumably you didn’t think everything but that deficiency would be the same …

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +2 more
third son
third son Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

I don't think there is. I have the top front button configured for magnification. That way I can hit it again quickly when I need to go back to normal. I wish there was a way to automatically magnify when the manual focus override is enabled. That is a nice functionality that Fuji has.

third son's gear list:third son's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +19 more
OP BaldEgo Regular Member • Posts: 290

PLShutterbug wrote:

BaldEgo wrote:

Is there any way on Z cameras to magnify focus and then half-press the shutter button to return to normal view before taking a shot? I've set up the AF button on my Z7ii to magnify my image but it doesn't return to normal view when pressing the shutter button which means I have to press the AF button again to return to normal view. On Fuji and Sony cameras, I can half-press the shutter and it drops me back to the normal view. It may seem like a small thing but once you get used to the automatic return to normal, it becomes frustrating when it doesn't, especially in MF mode.

When in AF-C mode you may want to confirm focus while magnified - I do that quite frequently. If pressing the shutter switched back to normal magnification that would not work.

As I have said to others when they express frustration after moving from other systems, it’s better to take the attitude that you must learn to adapt to how the manufacturer designed what you are using today rather than wishing today’s thing was the same as you were used to from yesterday. After all, there was a deficiency, or desired feature, that caused you to move and presumably you didn’t think everything but that deficiency would be the same …

Actually, I've been using Z cameras since they first came out so I'm well aware of the many strengths of the system and have learned "to adapt" in many ways. My question was directed more at how to get the most out of the system, not pining for it to be like others.

third son wrote:

I don't think there is. I have the top front button configured for magnification. That way I can hit it again quickly when I need to go back to normal. I wish there was a way to automatically magnify when the manual focus override is enabled. That is a nice functionality that Fuji has.

Thanks. That's how I've been invoking the focus magnification as well. Just thought I'd check to see if I've been overlooking a setting somewhere.

third son
third son Veteran Member • Posts: 3,299

BaldEgo wrote:

third son wrote:

Thanks. That's how I've been invoking the focus magnification as well. Just thought I'd check to see if I've been overlooking a setting somewhere.

You're welcome. Don't get me going on the focus bracketing in Nikon. 😬

third son's gear list:third son's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Fujifilm X-E4 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +19 more
PLShutterbug Senior Member • Posts: 2,359

BaldEgo wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

BaldEgo wrote:

Actually, I've been using Z cameras since they first came out so I'm well aware of the many strengths of the system and have learned "to adapt" in many ways. My question was directed more at how to get the most out of the system, not pining for it to be like others.

Ah. Your question didn’t indicate you are an experienced Z-system user.

PLShutterbug's gear list:PLShutterbug's gear list
Nikon Z7 Nikon 200-500mm F5.6E ED VR Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 14-30mm F4 Nikon Z 24-200mm F4-6.3 VR +2 more
Ernie Misner
Ernie Misner Veteran Member • Posts: 9,116

BaldEgo wrote:

third son wrote:

Same here except that I use Fn1 for image review and Fn2 for 100% zoom.  It can be confusing not being able to reset the zoom by hitting the shutter button, because when reviewing an image and hitting the center OK button the image zooms to 100%, BUT in that case hitting the shutter button actually does something (gets out of image review and zoom both anyway).

-- hide signature --

Ernie Misner
http://www.flickr.com/photos/erniemisner/
Creating art is not enough; it needs to be shared. Sharing demands that you reveal who you are as an artist and how technically inclined you are. To share, you must be, on some level, vulnerable in front of your friends, family, and peers. There's no reward without risk. I suggest being vulnerable and taking that risk. - Jason Bradley

Ernie Misner's gear list:Ernie Misner's gear list
Nikon Z6 Nikon Z7 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-70mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF-S Nikkor 70-200mm F4G ED VR +5 more

PLShutterbug wrote:

BaldEgo wrote:

PLShutterbug wrote:

BaldEgo wrote:

Ah. Your question didn’t indicate you are an experienced Z-system user.

It was irrelevant to the question.

Re: Manual Focus and Magnification on Z Camerasthethe

Ernie Misner wrote:

BaldEgo wrote:

third son wrote:

Same here except that I use Fn1 for image review and Fn2 for 100% zoom. It can be confusing not being able to reset the zoom by hitting the shutter button, because when reviewing an image and hitting the center OK button the image zooms to 100%, BUT in that case hitting the shutter button actually does something (gets out of image review and zoom both anyway).

Thanks Ernie. I had used the Fn2 as you’ve described it for awhile but changed the magnification option to the AF button because I found it easier to press the AF button on top when I was doing low angle shots with the rear screen flipped out. Your response, however, has me thinking that I might set up a custom user setting for strictly MF shooting with legacy lenses and assign magnification to both the AF and Fn2 buttons.

BTW,  I love NIkon’s implementation of the focus point check on the centre OK button which is so elegant compared to the other systems I’ve used.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads