Lightroom: Show all photos taken in July

Started Aug 13, 2022 | Questions
Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,994
Lightroom: Show all photos taken in July

I am trying to find an easy way to see all the photos I have taken in July of all years.  Of course, I can easily see all the July photos for a particular year using the Library Filter at the top.  I can also go through each year and select July for those years too.  Very tedious since I have photos from 1934 to today in Lightroom.

The more general question is:  Can I show all the photos taken in any year during a particular month?  Or even a particular day, such as all photos taken on December 25 of all years?

I also looked at making a Smart Collection, but I cannot find a way to do this using that either.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson
http://www.bakubo.com

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Phil and Karen
Phil and Karen Veteran Member • Posts: 3,096
Re: Lightroom: Show all photos taken in July

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am trying to find an easy way to see all the photos I have taken in July of all years. Of course, I can easily see all the July photos for a particular year using the Library Filter at the top. I can also go through each year and select July for those years too. Very tedious since I have photos from 1934 to today in Lightroom.

The more general question is: Can I show all the photos taken in any year during a particular month? Or even a particular day, such as all photos taken on December 25 of all years?

I also looked at making a Smart Collection, but I cannot find a way to do this using that either.

Hi Henry,

Yes. Select the Catalogue root folder (or the folders you wish to filter) in the browser panel, enable the Metadata Filter and in the first field change 'Date' to 'Month' and select the month(s) you're interested in, then change the next field to 'Day' and select the day(s).

(Hold down the 'Command' key to pick more than one folder/ month/ day).

Phil

-- hide signature --

Zebras for Stills - How Hard Can It Be?

Phil and Karen's gear list:Phil and Karen's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Canon EOS R5 Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro Canon RF 24-105mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 70-200mm F2.8L IS USM +2 more
graybalanced Veteran Member • Posts: 7,378

What PMUK said. This is possible now, but was not possible until about a year ago when they finally added it to the program. It is a very recent addition.

Henry Richardson wrote:

I do not think it is available in a Smart Collection. I think it’s only available in the Library Metadata Filter for now. Which is OK, I made a Library Filter Preset of it so I can call up all time photos from the same month at any time by choosing my preset.

I do hope Adobe expands what criteria are in a Smart Collection.

OP Henry Richardson Forum Pro • Posts: 22,994
Thank you!

PMUK wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

I am trying to find an easy way to see all the photos I have taken in July of all years. Of course, I can easily see all the July photos for a particular year using the Library Filter at the top. I can also go through each year and select July for those years too. Very tedious since I have photos from 1934 to today in Lightroom.

The more general question is: Can I show all the photos taken in any year during a particular month? Or even a particular day, such as all photos taken on December 25 of all years?

Hi Henry,

Yes. Select the Catalogue root folder (or the folders you wish to filter) in the browser panel, enable the Metadata Filter and in the first field change 'Date' to 'Month' and select the month(s) you're interested in, then change the next field to 'Day' and select the day(s).

Phil

Thank you!  I feel like a dunce.  I see now that I can select Date, Month, or Day.  In the past it seems to me like there was only Date, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me.  Certainly there is Month and Day there now and it does what I want.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

graybalanced wrote:

What PMUK said. This is possible now, but was not possible until about a year ago when they finally added it to the program. It is a very recent addition.

Ahh, that must be it.  My recollection is that there was only Date before, but now there is also Month and Day.

Henry Richardson wrote:

I do not think it is available in a Smart Collection. I think it’s only available in the Library Metadata Filter for now. Which is OK, I made a Library Filter Preset of it so I can call up all time photos from the same month at any time by choosing my preset.

I do hope Adobe expands what criteria are in a Smart Collection.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Darryl Brooks Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: Thank you!

Henry Richardson wrote:

PMUK wrote:

Henry Richardson wrote:

Hi Henry,

Phil

Thank you! I feel like a dunce. I see now that I can select Date, Month, or Day. In the past it seems to me like there was only Date, but maybe my mind is playing tricks on me. Certainly there is Month and Day there now and it does what I want.

Exactly. I frequently use this feature to find what I shot on this day in history.

Months with most and least photos

Henry Richardson wrote:

After I learned how to do this from the help here on the forum I started playing around with it. One thing I did was to see which months I took the most photos and which months I took the least.  April the most, September the least.  Dog days of summer.

1. April
2. November
3. May
10. July
11. August
12. September

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

Days with most and least photos

Just for grins I decided to check which day of the month I have the most photos and which the least.  I have taken the most photos on the 3rd of the month and the least on the 31st. But, it isn't fair to include the 31st since only 7 months have a 31st.  February also doesn't have a 30th and only every 4th year has a 29th.  So, if I only include days 1-28 then the 11th has the least number of photos.

I wish Lightroom had a way to easily check the days of the week (Sunday, Monday, etc.).

Yes, I know this is all totally useless information, but it is kinda cool for me to find out the answer in about 1 second.

-- hide signature --

Henry Richardson

BertIverson Veteran Member • Posts: 4,599
*** --- Show all photos taken in July

For us non-LightRoom users maybe this.
My photos are all named thus: YYYYMMDD HHmmSS
so in ThumbsPlus, I search for July with file mask = ????07*

But I may be the only DPR member using ThumbsPlus

(I used LR for years but use ThumbsPlus as my DAM.)

Bert

BertIverson's gear list:BertIverson's gear list
Sony RX10 IV
Darryl Brooks Contributing Member • Posts: 536
Re: *** --- Show all photos taken in July

Currently, I'm using Photo Mechanic. You have to roll your own, but it's pretty straightforward. A recent search where I wanted to see everything I shot on any July 4th.

capturetime.month = 7 and capturetime.day = 4

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads