Moyo And Funmi

Started Aug 12, 2022 | Photos
Daneland
Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Moyo And Funmi
12

Topaz DeNoise and Sharpen

SOOC

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
RustyRus Senior Member • Posts: 1,723
Re: Moyo And Funmi
1

Are you after comments and critique here?

The one with Topaz applied looks awful to me. It looks like an instagram edit.

I like the original quite a bit. I wish the lady on the left was more in focus, maybe a smaller aperture but shooting conditions may not have allowed.

Either way its a nice image, the one straight out of camera that is

 RustyRus's gear list:RustyRus's gear list
Ricoh GR III Leica Q2 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-Pro3 Leica M11 +1 more
Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

RustyRus wrote:

Are you after comments and critique here?

I always like to hear what others think. I shared to show  and I liked how the camera handled the high ISO and what Topaz made a difference.

The one with Topaz applied looks awful to me. It looks like an instagram edit

Well I would not call it awful but I can see why you think this way.

.

I like the original quite a bit. I wish the lady on the left was more in focus, maybe a smaller aperture but shooting conditions may not have allowed.

Yes I noticed it but I was busy to get a cleared background and moved left to right and it turned out this way.

Either way its a nice image, the one straight out of camera that is

Thanks for your kind comments.

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Yawlen Z
Yawlen Z Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Moyo And Funmi

In all I can appreciate the editing towards 'tacky' in this portrait. It's just the strands of braided hair on the left lady that go a mite shrillbusy with the sharpening, due to their 'striped' detail. Lovely picture anyway.

Samuraidog Senior Member • Posts: 2,051
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Really nice photo. I like the SOOC version.

 Samuraidog's gear list:Samuraidog's gear list
Fujifilm X-T30 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 27mm F2.8 +13 more
Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Thanks for the feedback, extra sharpening causes too much  artefacts and feels plasticky,

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Thanks for your kind words

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Rod McD Veteran Member • Posts: 9,068
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Hi,

I'm no expert in portraits, but to get a nice informal double portrait with great exposure and expressions seems to be a good catch to me.  I don't agree that the image with the PP tends toward tacky, insta-edit or shrill....  It's a usable image that I suspect the subjects themselves might like.

Cheers, Rod

 Rod McD's gear list:Rod McD's gear list
Sony a7R III Fujifilm X-T4 Voigtlander 90mm F3.5 APO-Lanthar SL II Fujifilm XF 60mm F2.4 R Macro Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +16 more
dan the man p Senior Member • Posts: 1,274
Re: Moyo And Funmi

I like the edits except for what the AI has done to the girl on the left. She's out of focus, and it has turned her into what looks like a CGI version of herself. I think the problem is that it has smoothed out any texture and sharpened even areas that shouldn't be sharp, giving a weird flat plastic look.

 dan the man p's gear list:dan the man p's gear list
Sony DSC-RX0 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z 24-70mm F4 Nikon Z 35mm F1.8
Yawlen Z
Yawlen Z Regular Member • Posts: 318
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Daneland wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, extra sharpening causes too much artefacts and feels plasticky,

Not ranking anywhere near native speaker of english, clearly now I was mistaken at the usage of this 'tacky' adjective, and had previously been unaware of its negative meaning or connotations. Actually I had meant the remark in a more positive way, where brisk or lively would perhaps have made a better fit. Your edits gave it some added 'presence'.

Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Rod McD wrote:

Hi,

I'm no expert in portraits, but to get a nice informal double portrait with great exposure and expressions seems to be a good catch to me. I don't agree that the image with the PP tends toward tacky, insta-edit or shrill.... It's a usable image that I suspect the subjects themselves might like.

Cheers, Rod

Thanks for your nice comments.

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

dan the man p wrote:

I like the edits except for what the AI has done to the girl on the left. She's out of focus, and it has turned her into what looks like a CGI version of herself. I think the problem is that it has smoothed out any texture and sharpened even areas that shouldn't be sharp, giving a weird flat plastic look.

Thanks for your feedback, I agree with you that OOF area sharpening made it worse.

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Daneland
OP Daneland Senior Member • Posts: 4,216
Re: Moyo And Funmi

Yawlen Z wrote:

Daneland wrote:

Thanks for the feedback, extra sharpening causes too much artefacts and feels plasticky,

Not ranking anywhere near native speaker of english, clearly now I was mistaken at the usage of this 'tacky' adjective, and had previously been unaware of its negative meaning or connotations. Actually I had meant the remark in a more positive way, where brisk or lively would perhaps have made a better fit. Your edits gave it some added 'presence'.

๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

 Daneland's gear list:Daneland's gear list
Leica Q2 Panasonic Lumix DC-S5II Panasonic Lumix S 20-60mm F3.5-5.6 Panasonic Lumix S 50mm F1.8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads