Aperture priority always defaults to F22?

Started 6 months ago | Questions
meku New Member • Posts: 7
Aperture priority always defaults to F22?

On Fujifilm X-T30ii with any 'R' lens with an Aperture switch, flipping this to Aperture priority always defaults to F22 and doesn't recall the last aperture used.

Same lens on older bodies (such as X-T20) flipping to manual aperture recalls the last setting. For example could set manual at F8 and then flip between auto and F8 all day using the aperture switch on the lens. Even swapping lenses it would still recall the last aperture setting.

Is there any way to bring this behavior back to the X-T30ii, or any workarounds to default to a different aperture for Aperture priority?

I also wonder if this new behavior to always default F22 is on other recent X bodies.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Aoi Usagi Veteran Member • Posts: 3,197
Re: Aperture priority always defaults to F22?

meku wrote:

On Fujifilm X-T30ii with any 'R' lens with an Aperture switch, flipping this to Aperture priority always defaults to F22 and doesn't recall the last aperture used.

Same lens on older bodies (such as X-T20) flipping to manual aperture recalls the last setting. For example could set manual at F8 and then flip between auto and F8 all day using the aperture switch on the lens. Even swapping lenses it would still recall the last aperture setting.

Is there any way to bring this behavior back to the X-T30ii, or any workarounds to default to a different aperture for Aperture priority?

I also wonder if this new behavior to always default F22 is on other recent X bodies.

In aperture priority, the camera will set the aperture to whatever setting you have the lens' aperture ring set as.  Turn the aperture ring to F22 and the camera will be set to F22.   Unless I'm missing something.

Peter Foiles
Peter Foiles Senior Member • Posts: 2,365

meku wrote:

The "A" position on an "R" lens does NOT put the camera in aperture priority mode  it just puts control of the aperture to a dial on the body.

Same lens on older bodies (such as X-T20) flipping to manual aperture recalls the last setting.

??? Manual aperture is whatever aperture you have set on any Fuji body that I have ever used.

For example could set manual at F8 and then flip between auto and F8 all day using the aperture switch on the lens. Even swapping lenses it would still recall the last aperture setting.

The X-T30ii has an "auto" setting. I am not familiar with it but I suspect that if you want it to behave like your X-T20 "auto" needs to be turned off.

Peter Foiles's gear list:Peter Foiles's gear list
Sony a1 Sony a7 IV OM-1 Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm X-H2 +22 more
OP meku New Member • Posts: 7

Aoi Usagi wrote:

In aperture priority, the camera will set the aperture to whatever setting you have the lens' aperture ring set as. Turn the aperture ring to F22 and the camera will be set to F22. Unless I'm missing something.

This issue only applies to lenses with the Aperture switch, these lenses do not have markings on the aperture ring. For example the XF18-55mm.

This is not relevant to lenses with actual aperture markings, such as the XF16-80mm.

Robmas4229
Robmas4229 Senior Member • Posts: 1,250

meku wrote:

I currently have the 18-55 mounted on my XT30-II.

If I set the aperture to f/8, turn the camera off and back on, the aperture is still F/8. I tried various f-stops with this combo and every time I power the camera back on it comes up with the last setting.

Edit: You may want to remove your lens and reattach, perhaps check/clean the contacts.

Robmas4229's gear list:Robmas4229's gear list
Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +7 more
32oz Junior Member • Posts: 27

Are you referring to "P mode"? If you change the aperture while in P mode it will turn the mode off. When you switch the lens back to manual, it will be in the same aperture as you changed to while the lens switch was in A. If you leave it in P mode when you switch it back to manual, it should keep the aperture you left it at prior to switching to P mode.

32oz's gear list:32oz's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more

Peter Foiles wrote:

meku wrote:

The "A" position on an "R" lens does NOT put the camera in aperture priority mode it just puts control of the aperture to a dial on the body.

Yes, the "A" position is auto-aperture (or set by the body). The "aperture icon" position is Aperture priority (controlled by the lens). Switching between these two is what I am discussing.

Same lens on older bodies (such as X-T20) flipping to manual aperture recalls the last setting.

??? Manual aperture is whatever aperture you have set on any Fuji body that I have ever used.

I am discussing switching using the lens controls to set aperture, not the body, and the action of switching between auto and aperture priority using the lens control.

For example could set manual at F8 and then flip between auto and F8 all day using the aperture switch on the lens. Even swapping lenses it would still recall the last aperture setting.

The X-T30ii has an "auto" setting. I am not familiar with it but I suspect that if you want it to behave like your X-T20 "auto" needs to be turned off.

The camera is Program mode, not in full "auto" mode.

Robmas4229 wrote:

meku wrote:

I currently have the 18-55 mounted on my XT30-II.

If I set the aperture to f/8, turn the camera off and back on, the aperture is still F/8. I tried various f-stops with this combo and every time I power the camera back on it comes up with the last setting.

Edit: You may want to remove your lens and reattach, perhaps check/clean the contacts.

There is no problem with switching the camera on and off. I'm discussing switching between auto-aperture and aperture priority using the switch on the lens.

32oz wrote:

Are you referring to "P mode"? If you change the aperture while in P mode it will turn the mode off. When you switch the lens back to manual, it will be in the same aperture as you changed to while the lens switch was in A. If you leave it in P mode when you switch it back to manual, it should keep the aperture you left it at prior to switching to P mode.

This was my expectation, and is how it behaves on older bodies. But switching from Program mode to Aperture priority does not recall the previous Aperture setting and always goes to F22.

Robmas4229

meku wrote:

32oz wrote:

This was my expectation, and is how it behaves on older bodies. But switching from Program mode to Aperture priority does not recall the previous Aperture setting and always goes to F22.

Thanks for your explanation as I think I have a better understanding of your issue.

I just did a test with my XT30-II and 18-55.

I started in Aperture Priority, aperture set to f/5.6.

I switched the Aperture switch to the "A" position, camera selected f/2.8.

I moved the switch back to manual aperture control and it went back to f/5.6, not f/22.

Is this what you are experiencing differently?

Fujifilm X-E3 Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm X-T30 II Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS +7 more

Robmas4229 wrote:

meku wrote:

32oz wrote:

Thanks for your explanation as I think I have a better understanding of your issue.

I moved the switch back to manual aperture control and it went back to f/5.6, not f/22.

Yes this is the sequence - but when I switch back to manual aperture control it always reverts to F22.

Thanks for your input, now I am more confident that there could be some setting that is causing this behavior in my camera.

meku wrote:

Robmas4229 wrote:

meku wrote:

32oz wrote:

Yes this is the sequence - but when I switch back to manual aperture control it always reverts to F22.

Thanks for your input, now I am more confident that there could be some setting that is causing this behavior in my camera.

Nope, full settings reset and the problem persists.

I wonder if it is a firmware bug? My X-T30ii is on the latest v1.12. @Robmas4229 what fw version is your body?

Robmas4229

meku wrote:

meku wrote:

Robmas4229 wrote:

meku wrote:

32oz wrote:

Nope, full settings reset and the problem persists.

I wonder if it is a firmware bug? My X-T30ii is on the latest v1.12. @Robmas4229 what fw version is your body?

My XT30-II is still at v1.11

I usually hold off on firmware updates for a few months unless it adds some fixes or enhancements I feel I can't live without.

Sorry for the response delay.

-Rob

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads