Fujifilm X-S10 vs Nikon Z5 print quality

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
OP Askaman Forum Member • Posts: 74
Re: Fujifilm X-S10 vs Nikon Z5 print quality

Thank you so much!

I have been shooting everything with my fuji xt20 for years and that includes prints up to 60*40

However, there is quite a difference between 60*40 and 1*1 meters so i decided to move a bit up:)

You are totally right with false economy and i know that because when i started taking pictures, years ago, i thought i'd do things and buy stuff and ended up realising compromises don't work:)

AndyGordon Contributing Member • Posts: 759

Used to own both z6 & Z7 along with a bunch of Fuji X cams, also have an Epson P800 printer with roll paper adapter and from what I can see from the Z6 and X cams I can see no discernible difference with a 17" by 36" pano

A straight A2 from a 26mp X-Trans sensor is on my wall and standing a foot or so it is perfectly detailed and the colour and tonal transition is beautiful.

The biggest issue with both of these camera's and the 1m x 1m print size is less about the camera/chip combo, more about the quality of lens on the front and even more on the ability of the person behind all that gear to get the exposure just right to make the most of the light and scene

After all that, it will come down to post processing and printing ability.

I was so happy with the X cams capabilities that I sold off all my Nikon FF (Z6, Z7 and a bunch of S glass) and settles on then an X100V, X-Pro3 & X-T3

AndyGordon's gear list:AndyGordon's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50R Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 14mm F2.8 R Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS +8 more

Thank you so much Andy!

I do not worry about lenses quality or tehnique:)

I can borrow fujis best lenses(except the 200) so on that part i am covered.

I do enjoy the fuji system for many things but printing at this size is a bit new to me.

I would sure like to try the new 70 300 since the 50-140 is almoat as heavy as the tamron 70 200 and i kinda hate bringing it with me on mountain workshops

FingerPainter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,453
Caution!

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

With both cameras being pretty much the same resolution, given premium glass, you really shouldn’t see any significant difference in detail.

For this answer to be true, it presumes that the lens on the X-S10 produces linear sharpness on an optical bench that is 46% better than the lens on the Z5. Given the quality of Z glass, I don't think that is a safe presumption.

Or to put it another way, if you use the same lens on both cameras, the central image sharpness from the Z5's image will be 46% higher than the X-S10's image, takign into account the 2MP advantage of the X-S10.

Sensors of different size but similar pixel count only produce images of similar sharpness when their lenses project a similar number of line pairs across the same portion of the frame. On a FF sensor, a lens will project about 50% more line pairs per linear portion of the image on an APS-C sensor. So centre sharpness of an image from a FF sensor and a given lens will be 50% higher than central sharpness of an image from an APS-C sensor and the same lens.

Now typically, lenses designed for smaller sensors produce a higher linear resolution than lenses with the same field of view produced for FF sensors. However, typically they are not 50% sharper, so images tend to be sharper on FF cameras having similar pixel counts to APS-C sensors. How much sharper will depend on the particular lenses used.

Lets look at a sample case, comparing Fujifilm's best? current normal prime with Nikon's worst normal prime: the XF 35mm f/1.4 R vs the Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S. Lens Tip has tested both. They measured the maximum centre sharpness of the XF lens at 56 lp/mm and the max centre sharpness of the Z at 84 lp/mm. But do not despair, the XF was tested on a 16MP sensor while the Z was tested on a 46MP sensor. We need to modify those measurements to reflect use on 26MP and 24MP sensors, respectively. We cannot get a precise adjustment, but we do know that the difference in resolution will be a bit less than the difference in the square roots of the respective pixel counts, So on a 26MP sensor, the XF 35mm should be able to get a bit less than 71 lp/mm, while the Z 50mm should be able to get a bit more than 61 lp/mm.

BUT... The FF sensor is 24mm high while the APS-C sensors is a bit less than 16mm high. This means the max central sharpness of the FF Z5 image will be a bit better than 1,456 line pairs per picture height, while the max central sharpness of the APS-C X-S10 image will be a bit less than 1,135 line pairs per picture height.

If you print both to the same size, the Nikon Z5's image will be more than 28% sharper. At corridor wall viewing distances on 1m prints, that's a noticeable difference.

The Z5 (D750 sensor) will have a good stop of extra high ISO performance and dynamic range,

That sounds about right for DR. SNR should be closer to two stops difference for landscapes in good light, partly because of the difference in base ISOs.

but as most people will probably rarely need more of either that you get from the Fuji,

Perhaps large prints examined closely are one of those cases where one needs more.

the best looking print results will likely be from the camera with better glass

Yes specific lens choices will play a big role. I think Z-mount glass actually has a higher average optical quality than XF mount glass, and that's before you factor in the 50% sharpness advantage of using a larger sensor.

and/or post processing.

I think we can assume same shot-making and post-processing skills. It's the same OP using wither camera.

And that goes for pretty much any X-Trans III camera (X-T2) or newer as well.

JayPhizzt wrote:

Askaman wrote:

Hi guys!

First of all i apologize if i posted in the wrong place, in which case I am asking for an OP to help me move the thread.

Second, I am looking for people who had experience printing images from these 2 cameras or equivalent(like xt4 for example) and here is what i am looking for.

1. Print size should be 1m*1m max(this is a rare one, mostly i am looking at a bit smaller sizes)

2. Print themes are always landscape photography so that requires a bit more detail.

I know about viewing distances and that at the right distance most pictures seem fine but what I am interested is actually(from your experience) at a print this big how close to the print you'd have to stay in order to see a bit of deterioration in the picture

I am trying to decide between the 2 cameras(which prints have more detail) so please don't tell me about the GFX or the Z7 because they are out of my reach:)

Many thanks

Both camera bodies have almost the same resolution so there won't be any difference.

Why do people assume this? That's not the way resolution works. Assuming same lens sharpness (measured in line pairs per mm) , a 24MP FF sensor will produce images approaching 50% sharper than a 24MP APS-C sensor.

However what might potentially make a difference in this case is X-trans which tends to yield slighty less detailed images compared to bayer. Although I'm not sure if one will notice that much difference when it comes to prints.

Else what lens(es) you use will make a much bigger difference.

Yes lens choice will be an important factor.

Erik Baumgartner Senior Member • Posts: 6,610
APS-C 24MP vs. FF 24MP

FingerPainter wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

With both cameras being pretty much the same resolution, given premium glass, you really shouldn’t see any significant difference in detail.

For this answer to be true, it presumes that the lens on the X-S10 produces linear sharpness on an optical bench that is 46% better than the lens on the Z5. Given the quality of Z glass, I don't think that is a safe presumption.

Or to put it another way, if you use the same lens on both cameras, the central image sharpness from the Z5's image will be 46% higher than the X-S10's image, takign into account the 2MP advantage of the X-S10.

Sensors of different size but similar pixel count only produce images of similar sharpness when their lenses project a similar number of line pairs across the same portion of the frame. On a FF sensor, a lens will project about 50% more line pairs per linear portion of the image on an APS-C sensor. So centre sharpness of an image from a FF sensor and a given lens will be 50% higher than central sharpness of an image from an APS-C sensor and the same lens.

Now typically, lenses designed for smaller sensors produce a higher linear resolution than lenses with the same field of view produced for FF sensors. However, typically they are not 50% sharper, so images tend to be sharper on FF cameras having similar pixel counts to APS-C sensors. How much sharper will depend on the particular lenses used.

Lets look at a sample case, comparing Fujifilm's best? current normal prime with Nikon's worst normal prime: the XF 35mm f/1.4 R vs the Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S. Lens Tip has tested both. They measured the maximum centre sharpness of the XF lens at 56 lp/mm and the max centre sharpness of the Z at 84 lp/mm. But do not despair, the XF was tested on a 16MP sensor while the Z was tested on a 46MP sensor. We need to modify those measurements to reflect use on 26MP and 24MP sensors, respectively. We cannot get a precise adjustment, but we do know that the difference in resolution will be a bit less than the difference in the square roots of the respective pixel counts, So on a 26MP sensor, the XF 35mm should be able to get a bit less than 71 lp/mm, while the Z 50mm should be able to get a bit more than 61 lp/mm.

BUT... The FF sensor is 24mm high while the APS-C sensors is a bit less than 16mm high. This means the max central sharpness of the FF Z5 image will be a bit better than 1,456 line pairs per picture height, while the max central sharpness of the APS-C X-S10 image will be a bit less than 1,135 line pairs per picture height.

If you print both to the same size, the Nikon Z5's image will be more than 28% sharper. At corridor wall viewing distances on 1m prints, that's a noticeable difference.

The Z5 (D750 sensor) will have a good stop of extra high ISO performance and dynamic range,

That sounds about right for DR. SNR should be closer to two stops difference for landscapes in good light, partly because of the difference in base ISOs.

but as most people will probably rarely need more of either that you get from the Fuji,

Perhaps large prints examined closely are one of those cases where one needs more.

the best looking print results will likely be from the camera with better glass

Yes specific lens choices will play a big role. I think Z-mount glass actually has a higher average optical quality than XF mount glass, and that's before you factor in the 50% sharpness advantage of using a larger sensor.

and/or post processing.

I think we can assume same shot-making and post-processing skills. It's the same OP using wither camera.

And that goes for pretty much any X-Trans III camera (X-T2) or newer as well.

Sorry, not seeing it.

Do you think any of these comparison images will print significantly different? I don't think so. I see no FF advantage here whatsoever.

Fuji APS-C 24MP vs. Sony FF 24MP at 100%, Good glass with both...

Even at ISO 12,800 in low light...

Erik Baumgartner's gear list:Erik Baumgartner's gear list
Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
FuzzyDice Contributing Member • Posts: 666
Re: Caution!

This whole argument falls apart when you start proclaiming the 35 F/1.4 is Fuji’s best lens.  Yes people like that lens for its character, but when it comes to optical sharpness and clarity it is not the best Fuji lens on the market.

The 50 F/2, the 90 F/2, several of the newer variants, crud, even the 23 F/1.4 is a sharper lens than the 35mm.

also, on every resolution chart, the Fuji’s compete agains the 24 MP Full frame sensors and do very well.

FuzzyDice's gear list:FuzzyDice's gear list
Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

Askaman wrote:

Hi guys!

First of all i apologize if i posted in the wrong place, in which case I am asking for an OP to help me move the thread.

Second, I am looking for people who had experience printing images from these 2 cameras or equivalent(like xt4 for example) and here is what i am looking for.

1. Print size should be 1m*1m max(this is a rare one, mostly i am looking at a bit smaller sizes)

2. Print themes are always landscape photography so that requires a bit more detail.

I know about viewing distances and that at the right distance most pictures seem fine but what I am interested is actually(from your experience) at a print this big how close to the print you'd have to stay in order to see a bit of deterioration in the picture

I am trying to decide between the 2 cameras(which prints have more detail) so please don't tell me about the GFX or the Z7 because they are out of my reach:)

Many thanks

Both camera bodies have almost the same resolution so there won't be any difference.

Why do people assume this? That's not the way resolution works. Assuming same lens sharpness (measured in line pairs per mm) , a 24MP FF sensor will produce images approaching 50% sharper than a 24MP APS-C sensor.

Because many of us have used both systems side by side and have found that to not be the case.

However what might potentially make a difference in this case is X-trans which tends to yield slighty less detailed images compared to bayer. Although I'm not sure if one will notice that much difference when it comes to prints.

Sony RX100 Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T2 Fujifilm X-T20 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +5 more
Mr Bolton Senior Member • Posts: 1,458

FuzzyDice wrote:

This whole argument falls apart when you start proclaiming the 35 F/1.4 is Fuji’s best lens. Yes people like that lens for its character, but when it comes to optical sharpness and clarity it is not the best Fuji lens on the market.

The 50 F/2, the 90 F/2, several of the newer variants, crud, even the 23 F/1.4 is a sharper lens than the 35mm.

also, on every resolution chart, the Fuji’s compete agains the 24 MP Full frame sensors and do very well.

So if the FF lens has that many more line pairs, but not any more pixels (24 vs 26, or AKA both 24 on my X-H1) then wouldn't it just be more lines at sub-pixel levels that the larger pixels wouldn't resolve anyway?

In other words, is the theoretical higher resolution of the larger lens, which would be utilized by a higher resolution larger sensor, really a benefit beyond a certain point with a 24mp sensor anyway? Once the lines per mm get higher than the number of pixels per mm, does it really matter much for either sensor size?

I'm not trying to bash either argument, just to understand.

Mr Bolton's gear list:Mr Bolton's gear list
Fujifilm X100T Olympus OM-D E-M5 Fujifilm X-E1 Fujifilm X-H1 Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS +3 more
TangoMan Senior Member • Posts: 1,885

Askaman wrote:

Thank you so much!

I have been shooting everything with my fuji xt20 for years and that includes prints up to 60*40

However, there is quite a difference between 60*40 and 1*1 meters so i decided to move a bit up:)

You are totally right with false economy and i know that because when i started taking pictures, years ago, i thought i'd do things and buy stuff and ended up realising compromises don't work:)

If you are shooting landscape and going for ultimate quality, it may be worth experimenting with panorama and stitching.

All you would need over your current gear is a stable tripod if you don't have one and some way of pivoting around the nodal point of the lens. Google nodal point if necessary.

You could produce horizontal 40MP images with just two vertical 24MP images stitched together, or 70ish MP images with 4 basic shots. Wall size images are possible that way and with enough pictures to stitch, they will look amazing up close.

Tips:

1. Shoot with a constant manual exposure. Shoot quickly paying attention to clouds and sunlight to avoid variations.

2. Pivot from the nodal point on tripod (to avoid stitching issues)

3. If things can move in the picture, like branches, wait for the absence of wind. (to avoid stitching issues)

4. Overlap sufficiently.

Good luck!

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

Askaman wrote:

Hi guys!

Many thanks

Because many of us have used both systems side by side and have found that to not be the case.

Yeah he’s straight up fibbing there.  The tighter the pixels the better the perceived sharpness.  You can look at 4K TVs and 8K TVs next to FHD TVs and see that.

Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm X-H2 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R Nikkor AF-S 300mm f/4E PF ED VR Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR +3 more

Thamk you so much!

I actually shot panoramas quite a bit plus exposure blending, focus stacking so i find them quite fun and not difficult to do

One aspect where i need more practice is panorama using a 10 stop filter

Your message remidned me of a lovely waterfall picture i took with about 4 or 5 pictures merged in Lr.

Thamk you again!

FuzzyDice wrote:

This whole argument falls apart when you start proclaiming the 35 F/1.4 is Fuji’s best lens.

I didn't proclaim any such thing. Go back and read more carefully, What I actually said was:

"Lets look at a sample case, comparing Fujifilm's best? current normal prime with Nikon's worst normal prime: the XF 35mm f/1.4 R vs the Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S.

I've highlighted a couple things you seem to have missed.

I questioned whether it was actually best, and I was talking about normal primes only. not wide-angle or telephoto primes.

Yes people like that lens for its character, but when it comes to optical sharpness and clarity it is not the best Fuji lens on the market.

None of those are normal lenses. On APS-C, a normal prime would be have a focal length between 28mm and 40mm.

If you think there is a sharper Fuji lens in that focal length range, let's look at it.

I agree that the 23mm is sharper than Fuji's normal lenses. Compared to the Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8 S, it will be almost as sharp, probably close enough for it to be hard to see the difference.

Examples?

FingerPainter wrote:

FuzzyDice wrote:

This whole argument falls apart when you start proclaiming the 35 F/1.4 is Fuji’s best lens.

I didn't proclaim any such thing. Go back and read more carefully, What I actually said was:

You showed the quote below!  Okay Best normal Prime, but even that isn't 100% accurate.  Nikon's S lenses are cool, but I owned the Z6 at the same time as the X-T4.  The 50mm could not resolve the same level of detail as the 23mm F/1.4 Fuji could and that's sharper than the 35.

"Lets look at a sample case, comparing Fujifilm's best? current normal prime with Nikon's worst normal prime: the XF 35mm f/1.4 R vs the Nikkor Z 50mm f/1.8S.

I've highlighted a couple things you seem to have missed.

I questioned whether it was actually best, and I was talking about normal primes only. not wide-angle or telephoto primes.

It is a favorite lens because of the 3D Character between F/2.8 and F/4.  Sharpness isn't the only aspect of a lens by which people will judge the image quality.

As for lenstip, they did most of their tests on a 16 MP Sensor and haven't updated them for the newer sensors with regards to the Fuji reviews.  The Sony I believe was an A7R2, so it isn't great for cross company comparisons.

Yes people like that lens for its character, but when it comes to optical sharpness and clarity it is not the best Fuji lens on the market.

None of those are normal lenses. On APS-C, a normal prime would be have a focal length between 28mm and 40mm.

23 is 35, that's a normal lens.  27 is 40mm that's a normal range.  Both are sharper than the 35.  Also, the 33 is likely sharper as it is newer and designed for higher end bodies.

If you think there is a sharper Fuji lens in that focal length range, let's look at it.

I agree that the 23mm is sharper than Fuji's normal lenses. Compared to the Nikkor Z 35mm f/1.8 S, it will be almost as sharp, probably close enough for it to be hard to see the difference.

The Nikon S lenses are not as good, sorry...  They have several issues depending on where they're built.

Examples?

If you want resolution charts just look on here, the evidence is everywhere.

FuzzyDice wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

There are all sorts of reasons that your anecdotal observations are not proper findings of actual resolution differences.

Yeah he’s straight up fibbing there.

I am being totally honest., You just don't understand how final image resolution is determined by the combination of a lens casting an image and the pixels digitizing that image.

The lens casts an image that resolves a certain number  of line pairs per millimetre. Put the same lens in front of two sesnors of different sizes but same pixel count and what happens? If the lens casts an image at 60lp/mm in the centre, then the central sharpness on a FF sensor is 1,440 line pairs per picture height. On an APS-C sensor it is only 960 lp/ph. If both sensors have the same 24MP pixel count, one is digitising those1440 line pairs by 4,000 pixels while the other is  digitizing only 960 line pairs with 4,000 pixels. Obviously dividing 1,440 into 4,000 samples  gives a sharper result than dividing 960 line pairs into 4,000 samples.

The tighter the pixels the better the perceived sharpness. You can look at 4K TVs and 8K TVs next to FHD TVs and see that.

A 24" 4K TV is no sharper than a 65" 4K TV.

Jerry-astro
MOD Jerry-astro Forum Pro • Posts: 19,602
Please tone it down

FuzzyDice wrote:

Yeah he’s straight up fibbing there. The tighter the pixels the better the perceived sharpness. You can look at 4K TVs and 8K TVs next to FHD TVs and see that.

OK, I’m not going to dive into the discussion itself, as I have little value to add to it.  However, I do draw the line on accusing someone of being dishonest (another word for “fibbing”) as opposed to simply having a different opinion or view.  Please respect the fact that others might not agree with your own conclusions here and make your case with facts and proof points, not accusations.

-- hide signature --

Jerry-Astro
Fuji Forum co-Mod

Jerry-astro's gear list:Jerry-astro's gear list
Fujifilm 16-55mm F2.8R LM WR Fujifilm X-H2S Fujifilm XF 8-16mm F2.8 XF 150-600mm Canon Pixma Pro-100 +1 more

FingerPainter wrote:

FuzzyDice wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

There are all sorts of reasons that your anecdotal observations are not proper findings of actual resolution differences.

Yeah he’s straight up fibbing there.

I am being totally honest., You just don't understand how final image resolution is determined by the combination of a lens casting an image and the pixels digitizing that image.

You’re being totally wrong!  First, you don’t account for differences in sensor technology or the presence of an AA filter, let alone the type of AA filter.  Even more, the tighter the pixels are packed the sharper the image is going to appear.

The lens casts an image that resolves a certain number of line pairs per millimetre. Put the same lens in front of two sesnors of different sizes but same pixel count and what happens? If the lens casts an image at 60lp/mm in the centre, then the central sharpness on a FF sensor is 1,440 line pairs per picture height. On an APS-C sensor it is only 960 lp/ph. If both sensors have the same 24MP pixel count, one is digitising those1440 line pairs by 4,000 pixels while the other is digitizing only 960 line pairs with 4,000 pixels. Obviously dividing 1,440 into 4,000 samples gives a sharper result than dividing 960 line pairs into 4,000 samples.

First, are we talking about Fuji APS-C vs say Sony FF?  If we are, you’re never going to put the same lenses on them.  Second, the image circle of the XF lenses will be smaller, because they’re designed around the sensor size.  Finally, X-Trans doesn’t exactly render Luke a traditional Bayer, so that has to be factored in as well.

The tighter the pixels the better the perceived sharpness. You can look at 4K TVs and 8K TVs next to FHD TVs and see that.

A 24" 4K TV is no sharper than a 65" 4K TV.

That depends on how far you’re sitting from the TV, but your eyes perceived sharpness will be better for the smaller TV at closer distances.

FingerPainter wrote:

FuzzyDice wrote:

Erik Baumgartner wrote:

FingerPainter wrote:

JayPhizzt wrote:

I think I pretty clearly demonstrated in my earlier post above…

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66389319

…using real image comparisons shot in controlled conditions, that a 24MP FF sensor doesn’t always offer a significant resolution advantage over a 24MP APS-C sensor. In fact, probably due to most 24MP FF sensors still sporting AA filters, the filter-free APS-C sensor may actually have a bit of an advantage in some areas. I’m not disputing your science, but it’s just not panning out in the real world. I’ve shot with the Sony A7III and Nikon D750 alongside my Fujis, and while the FF sensors can have a genuine advantage in extreme DR and low light situations, in most situations the level of detail rendered is, to my eye, about a wash. If my eyes can’t see a significant difference at 100% view, I seriously doubt the OP is going to see one in a print either.

SigmaDelta10 Regular Member • Posts: 338

Maybe have a look at these two video's by Nigel Danson. It will give you a very good idea of what to expect:

How BIG can you PRINT your PHOTOS? (Fuji XT3 vs Nikon Z7 vs GFX 50R)

and

Is 24MP and a KIT lens GOOD ENOUGH? Nikon Z5 vs Z7 Surprising result!!

Thank you so much!

I watched them actually before pisting here since I am a sub to Nigel and kind of watch his video

I am aware that by chosing a reasonable difference(like watching from over 1-1.5 meters it would be veryhard to tell a difference) but my issue was with closer distances(which i dont think he mentions... I watched it 2 times and i am sorry if i missed it in his videos)

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads