Canon Pro-200 - print quality / darker colours not printing well

Started Aug 8, 2022 | Questions
yhope New Member • Posts: 11
Canon Pro-200 - print quality / darker colours not printing well

Hi everyone,

I am wondering if anyone can help me. I am an illustrator and I have bought the canon pro 200 to print greeting cards, art prints etc.

Prints come out perfect when I use the canon photo papers but I am having problems with greeting cards.

As you can see in the images below, when I print a card that has a slightly darker colour, it comes out with lots of white specks showing (not dust as you can see the comparison with the lighter coloured cards that have no specking)

I did a lot of research on the best way to print and this is what I have been doing:

1. designing in illustrator

2. rasterizing design (cymk, high 300 dpi, transparent background, art optimized)

3. Export as jpg:

-colour model RGB -This is what I found a lot of people suggesting on youtube

-high quality, art optimized etc

-Question: Should I be checking "Embed ICC profile" ?

4. Open in canon professional print & layout

5. media type: cardstock (i am using mondi color copy 350gsm)

-brightness 15, contrast 30

6. print.

I hope all of that makes sense! I would really appreciate if anyone could suggest a better method for better print quality - i dont have a lot of experience with print processes.

- a reason why the dark colours come out looking really bad

- why there is specking on the darker colours

- if i am doing something generally wrong

thank you so much for your time and advice

IMAGES FOR REF:

Darker colours with white specks

darker colours with specks

lighter colours no specks

lighter colours no specks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,914
Re: Canon Pro-200 - print quality / darker colours not printing well

I see some of the same effect on the lighter images zooming to 100 percent.

Also, maybe try cleaning the print roller per Canon procedure.

Good luck.

Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826

Just some observations FWIW....

You mentioned that printing on photo papers look good but on the greetings cards paper you get the effect you show above. That to me says there is little to nothing wrong with the printer.

The issue is therefore more likely due to the choice of paper the greetings cards are made from. Is it designed for use in inkjet printers?

In the UK I have bought some greetings cards sizes and because I will printing photographs on them I used the suppliers service to get custom ICC profiles but with graphics like yours I surmise you will not need that service. Edit ~ re-reading your post you may indeed benefit from custom ICC profiles.

If you post your country location, you may get some pointers as to potential suppliers of cards & custom profiles?

The cards I chose were based on my testing the papers....for both the look of the photographic finish & the look and feel of the papers.

The other thing I noticed is that your card designs include bleed edges (borderless in some areas). I have no idea how the Pro-200 handles the waste ink from such 'overspray' but on the consumer grade printers I have had in the past it lead to a short life. With my current Epson I will be avoiding borderless as a finish!

HTH

-- hide signature --

Living life a slice at a time
http://www.1stdesignit.co.uk/350d/burnup2.gif

NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 9,220
It's probably the cardstock.

I have bought the canon pro 200 to print greeting cards, art prints etc.

Prints come out perfect when I use the canon photo papers but I am having problems with greeting cards.

As you can see in the images below, when I print a card that has a slightly darker colour, it comes out with lots of white specks showing (not dust as you can see the comparison with the lighter coloured cards that have no specking) ...

i am using mondi color copy 350gsm

I tend to suspect the problem is with the cardstock onto which you're printing. Is it specifically sold as being inkjet-printable? If so, it is specifically sold as being double-sided? If it is sold as inkjet printable, but is not sold as double-sided, are you printing on the correct side / have you tried printing on the other side? Because what you describe sounds, and what I see looks, like what I get when I print on the wrong (back) side of single-sided matte paper.

For a paper to work well in an inkjet printer, it needs a special ink-receptive coating. Even matte inkjet papers typically have one. If you mistakenly print on the uncoated side, dark colors look faded and lighter specs appear, or at least that's my experience--I've made this mistake more than once! So you need paper specifically for inkjet printing, and to make sure you print on the correct side; and if you want to print on both sides, then you need double-sided inkjet paper.

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Nikon Coolpix AW110 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony RX100 IV Sony a9 +5 more
OP yhope New Member • Posts: 11

thank you

thank you for your advice!

I am in Switzerland and it is difficult to find fairly priced paper suppliers, especially for greetings cards when they have such a short lifespan.

I will look into the ICC profiles, but I starting to think its probably just the paper (although the website guarantees that it is for inkjet printers and uses "colourlock" technology whatever that means )

thank you for taking the time to give me your advice!

Re: It's probably the cardstock.

Thank your for your reply!

The card stock states "inkjet guaranteed' "colourlok technology" and lots of other things that would make me think it would have been suitable.

there was no indication on the packaging in regards to coating, one sided, double sided etc so i just did a test with two opposite sides and the results were the same - still not perfect.

I think you are probably right and i will have to change my card stock

thanks again

Yasmin_ch wrote:

thank you for your advice!

I am in Switzerland and it is difficult to find fairly priced paper suppliers, especially for greetings cards when they have such a short lifespan.

I will look into the ICC profiles, but I starting to think its probably just the paper (although the website guarantees that it is for inkjet printers and uses "colourlock" technology whatever that means )

thank you for taking the time to give me your advice!

Well neither of us are in the EU so perhaps contact the company I used and see if they can supply you in Switzerland?

https://www.paperspectrum.co.uk/pinnacle-blank-inkjet-greeting-card-paper-46-c.asp

Edit ~ they do supply Switzerland etc

https://www.paperspectrum.co.uk/deliveries-19-w.asp

Though quite expensive on deliveries:(

-- hide signature --

Good luck.

Dryce Contributing Member • Posts: 635

The card is presumably quite thick. Is it smooth coated or slightly textured? I wondered if the surface is being slightly damaged by the head or rollers.

Dryce's gear list:Dryce's gear list
Sigma DP1 Merrill Sigma DP2 Merrill Sigma DP3 Merrill Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM1 +2 more

its really really smooth matte. its so frustrating because the producer guarantees the compatibility with inkjet printers but it just doesnt look right.

thank you! i saw this store recommended on a youtube video, but the shipping is so much

but thank you so much for the suggestion

Interesting because so many quality inkjet papers, including matte ones, are made in Switzerland and Germany.

My consumer grade HP Premium Glossy photo paper says Made in Germany; and the US Staple office supply stores used to sell an excellent doubled-side matter paper (Photo Supreme) that I am pretty sure was made in Switzerland!

You will eventually find a godo one.

wilberforce_1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,356

My experience is that "Colorlok" doesn't mean much, and some very basic office papers are branded Colorlok, which seems to be mainly a marketing/branding promoted by HP:

https://www.colorlok.com/what-is-colorlok.html

Notice this website has lots of marketing superlatives and fancy graphics, and no technical specifics.

My basic 24lb Hammermill copy paper is branded Colorlok" and makes terrible photo prints.

yhope wrote:

thank you! i saw this store recommended on a youtube video, but the shipping is so much

but thank you so much for the suggestion

Just a couple more thoughts...

This UK supplier also ships to Europe....you would need to ask them just how much shipping to Switzerland would cost

Greeting Cards – PhotoPaperDirect UK

I have only used once for some fridge magnet type photo "paper" and it worked well though the colour accuracy was a tad off?

I also found this Swiss supplier but there is no mention on the site of cardstocks but they do sell Permajet and in the UK this company has cardstocks in a few qualities and sizes.

So perhaps worth asking if they or another company could help you?

fine-art-papier.ch

Best of luck finding a more local source of the quality you seek

-- hide signature --

Living life a slice at a time
http://www.1stdesignit.co.uk/350d/burnup2.gif

kciuk aka Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

https://fineartfoto.co.uk/product-category/inkjet-media/inkjet-cards/

These guys sell Innova papers in the Uk, but I am sure it is a European paper manufacturer and so should exist in Switzerland.

kciuk aka Ken60 wrote:

https://fineartfoto.co.uk/product-category/inkjet-media/inkjet-cards/

These guys sell Innova papers in the Uk, but I am sure it is a European paper manufacturer and so should exist in Switzerland.

Thanks for the heads up on this source.

Though here they talk of UK manufacturing

https://innovaart.com/

-- hide signature --
kciuk aka Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

Ask for Wayne at FAPhoto, Innova is from Europe , Wayne is the UK guy that handles it.

a cli[p from google ....

As mentioned in the description from Innova, they have uniquely partnered with world renowned traditional fine art paper makers: the Fabriano mill in Italy.

I am not too sure but I think Somerset Mill in Wells is the only UK manufacturer .

thank you!

thank you!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads