What’s happening to the G5X II?

Started Aug 7, 2022 | Questions
RLight Veteran Member • Posts: 5,217
Re: What’s happening to the G5X II?

GreatOceanSoftware wrote:

I previously owned this camera. It’s fantastic as a travel compact. So many features and technology crammed into such a small package. And fun to shoot. Here's a few shots that show what's possible.

Blackhawk museum

Highspeed frames overlaid in editor. Used the pre-shot function.

Fairy house for a bit of fantasy photography. Heavily edited, of course.

SOOC using the built-in star trail function.

Storm on Lake Huron

Blackhawk museum. Low light but performs beautifully

My special friend

Our hometown clock.

I’m having a bit of seller’s remorse, and was shocked to find all the bare shelves. It’s always been $900 MSRP, so no surprise there. If you want it and can find one, I’d snap it up.

Poke me in a week. I’m strongly considering selling mine. The scarcity stops me even though I use my M6II full time these days. Taking vacations is a perfect example of why to keep a G5x II around.

RLight's gear list:RLight's gear list
Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R3 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +10 more
Rock and Rollei Veteran Member • Posts: 3,340

I suspect Canon are prioritising the G7X III, as that's pretty popular still with vloggers and is probably selling stronger overall.

Rock and Rollei's gear list:Rock and Rollei's gear list
Canon EOS 5DS R Canon EOS 5D Mark IV Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 50mm f/1.2L USM +29 more
Rajorshi New Member • Posts: 23

Yes, I think so too. Pretty much all reviews on this series on YouTube are from a vlogging standpoint. Almost nothing from a photography perspective.

Regards,
RT

Rock and Rollei wrote:

I suspect Canon are prioritising the G7X III, as that's pretty popular still with vloggers and is probably selling stronger overall.

Cameras, and especially ones with specialized lenses, I suspect are made in batches. It may be a while till inventory improves, assuming canon is still producing then or if they are silently in paused production which I suspect is the case here. The whys is what we’re bickering about which I’d say there’s plenty of reasons including Sony, Canon, sales, smartphones, lifecycle (older product now), product priority. Yes to all the above.

The real question: is it silently out of production, or end of life? That becomes irreverent if you’re out of production long enough you create your own end of life which I think may be happening here. Example, Sony resumed the A6400, but not the a6600 (correct me if I’m wrong). But the 6600 has been out of production so long, Sony if they revive it, it’ll likely be updated aka 6700, etc by now.

I think the bigger question isn’t the G5x II itself, but rather point and shoots and their future which has been contradicting for some time. The G7x III probably still has supply in the chain, I don’t think it’s higher demand based off previous stats I’ve reviewed. They also (Canon) made more presumably due to market projection and if they had extra G7x optics to produce more bodies… The G5x II is like the G3X; mono-body lens vs the G7x has three.

Canon EOS M6 II Canon EOS R3 Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 55-200mm f/4.5-6.3 IS STM +10 more
KEG
KEG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092

RLight wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

Cameras, and especially ones with specialized lenses, I suspect are made in batches. It may be a while till inventory improves, assuming canon is still producing then or if they are silently in paused production which I suspect is the case here. The whys is what we’re bickering about which I’d say there’s plenty of reasons including Sony, Canon, sales, smartphones, lifecycle (older product now), product priority. Yes to all the above.

The real question: is it silently out of production, or end of life? That becomes irreverent if you’re out of production long enough you create your own end of life which I think may be happening here. Example, Sony resumed the A6400, but not the a6600 (correct me if I’m wrong). But the 6600 has been out of production so long, Sony if they revive it, it’ll likely be updated aka 6700, etc by now.

I think the bigger question isn’t the G5x II itself, but rather point and shoots and their future which has been contradicting for some time. The G7x III probably still has supply in the chain, I don’t think it’s higher demand based off previous stats I’ve reviewed. They also (Canon) made more presumably due to market projection and if they had extra G7x optics to produce more bodies… The G5x II is like the G3X; mono-body lens vs the G7x has three.

For some remarkable reason G7 X II is still in production, my local retailer has few in stocks which only arrived a week or so ago.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +23 more

KEG wrote:

RLight wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

For some remarkable reason G7 X II is still in production, my local retailer has few in stocks which only arrived a week or so ago.

The G7x III never went out of stock; this is an indication Canon has plenty of supply in the chain of the G7x III to fulfill local orders from distributors. There is debate regarding the popularity of the G7x III; is it an oversupply issue where Canon can’t sell off existing inventory?

KEG
KEG Veteran Member • Posts: 5,092

RLight wrote:

KEG wrote:

RLight wrote:

Rock and Rollei wrote:

The G7x III never went out of stock; this is an indication Canon has plenty of supply in the chain of the G7x III to fulfill local orders from distributors. There is debate regarding the popularity of the G7x III; is it an oversupply issue where Canon can’t sell off existing inventory?

Note II not III.

-- hide signature --

KEG

KEG's gear list:KEG's gear list
Canon EOS M6 Canon EOS R Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF-M 32mm F1.4 Canon RF 50mm F1.8 STM +23 more
Adam-T
Adam-T Forum Pro • Posts: 63,377

the chain of the G7x III to fulfill local orders from distributors. There is debate regarding the popularity of the G7x III; is it an oversupply issue where Canon can’t sell off existing inventory?

Maybe because it`s comically overpriced for what you get - basically a Mk2 plus bog-all still with the same lens as the Mk1

it`s £700 in the UK which deserves no sales , that`s £150 less than the G5X Mk2 which has a far better lens and an EVF . you can get a decent Mirrorless camera for that kind of money especially secondhand  or a Sony RX100 Mk5A for £100 LESS !!! ..

If canon want to shift them they need to wise up to their gouging tactics, people haven`t the loose money to throw around they may have had before the energy crisis and even when they did they`d be totally insane to pay that for a G7X Mk3

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

Adam-T's gear list:Adam-T's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600
Mark9473 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,468

AdamT wrote:

plus bog-all still

Sorry, what does that mean?

-- hide signature --

Mark

Mark9473's gear list:Mark9473's gear list
Canon G1 X II Panasonic Lumix DMC-G6 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 50-200mm 1:2.8-3.5 SWD +21 more
Adam-T
Adam-T Forum Pro • Posts: 63,377

Mark9473 wrote:

AdamT wrote:

plus bog-all still

Sorry, what does that mean?

Very little real world difference between them - such as the Mk3 may have a stacked sensor but it still uses CDAF so can`t take advantage if it (Noticed this in the G5X Mk2) .

-- hide signature --

** Please ignore the Typos, I'm the world's worst Typist **

Adam-T's gear list:Adam-T's gear list
Canon PowerShot SX50 HS Panasonic Lumix DMC-G5 Nikon D850 Sony a7R IV Sony a6600
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads