Pro-100 printing problems

Started Aug 6, 2022 | Discussions
jmiller2032
jmiller2032 Forum Member • Posts: 89
Pro-100 printing problems

I can't seem to get my photos to print correctly from Lightroom. Not sure how to describe it, but here's what I'm getting (ignore the black ink smudge-- that's my kids):

Paper is Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster. I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled the latest drivers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

jmiller2032's gear list:jmiller2032's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50S II Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
Canon Pixma Pro-100
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,826
Re: Pro-100 printing problems

Have you done a nozzle check print.....if so what does it indicate?

-- hide signature --
jmiller2032
OP jmiller2032 Forum Member • Posts: 89

Just ran one. Here's a picture of the results.

To my eye everything looks fine except maybe GY which looks very faint.

Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm GFX 50S II Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 10-24mm F4 R OIS Fujifilm XF 56mm F1.2 R +5 more
DVSh Regular Member • Posts: 242

jmiller2032 wrote:

Just ran one. Here's a picture of the results.

To my eye everything looks fine except maybe GY which looks very faint.

You are missing GY. You need to do print head cleaning. Also, are you using original inks? It is very strange that you have fully lost grey. Maybe check that you still have inks in GY cartridge.

kciuk aka Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,502

The3 GY is very bad and needs a good clean , possibly as you are in Texas and this I guess has been a hot dry period , it is well advised to print a head test at least every week to keep the head moist and avoid clogging or drying. If the head clean does not improve things you should try swapping the GY cartridge, and do another test.

Can't help notice that when you look at your head check printout  it states only up to 50 prints , other similar units with regular use might show several thousand as this printer has been around a while.  Perhaps this sitting unused in a hot dry ambience is killing the head.

As the other poster reply says.....

It is not printing Grey for some reason either blocked nozzles and/or Grey has run out.   What does the ink level check show......as in has grey run out?

If grey shows good level run a clean cycle and re do the nozzle check.... repeat cleaning & checking until all colours show in the nozzle check AOK.

If grey is empty replace the cartridge and then do a nozzle check to confirm all is well

-- hide signature --
jmiller2032
OP jmiller2032 Forum Member • Posts: 89

Grey level is good, about 80%. It's a relatively new cartridge. I tried running a deep cleaning, but the nozzle check showd the same thing as before, very faint GY.

The printer has been in an air conditioned room so I don't think it's dried out. But yeah, it's been very sporadically used.

jmiller2032 wrote:

Grey level is good, about 80%. It's a relatively new cartridge. I tried running a deep cleaning, but the nozzle check showd the same thing as before, very faint GY.

The printer has been in an air conditioned room so I don't think it's dried out. But yeah, it's been very sporadically used.

Purely AFAIK and am aware..

You need to keep doing the cleaning (none too sure whether 'cleaning' or 'deep cleaning' is best/better and the reason one might choose the deep method) until the grey ink shows like the rest of the colours.

If there is hack or wheeze when doing this on Canon, hopefully other Pro -100 users will chime in but be aware that any cleaning will use the whole set of inks as you cannot just clean just one colour of nozzles!

I hope you can get it sorted AOK soon

-- hide signature --
retyazhi Forum Member • Posts: 86

I would try to clean the printing head manually. As far as I understand, a printing head can be ruined if one would use the auto-cleaning via the menu too often.

sirhawkeye64 Forum Pro • Posts: 13,258

jmiller2032 wrote:

I can't seem to get my photos to print correctly from Lightroom. Not sure how to describe it, but here's what I'm getting (ignore the black ink smudge-- that's my kids):

Paper is Canon Photo Paper Pro Luster. I've installed/uninstalled/reinstalled the latest drivers. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Does the same problem occur on all prints?

It may be, but somewhat unlikely, your cartridges (or one of them, maybe the red) has faded or gotten contaminated. Aside from cleaning, maybe try a new set of cartridges?

I wonder if maybe your print head is going bad somehow (smearing colors) when laying them down on the paper. I had to recycle my Pro100 recently because the print head went bad and it wasn't worth replacing ($200 for a head on a printer I basically got for free after rebate).  I will say that while the PRo 100 is OK, I had a lot of issues with mine, and it required a lot of frequent cleaning (since I Only printed maybe once every 3-4 weeks; printing more often fixes most issues with clogged nozzles and color issues I've found, but again, for me, printer was basically free -- just decided to go down at a bad time while I was doing some prints).

-- hide signature --

NOTE: If I don't reply to a direct comment in the forums, it's likely I unsubscribed from the thread/article..

sirhawkeye64's gear list:sirhawkeye64's gear list
Nikon Z5 Nikon Z7 II Nikon Z8 Nikon Zf Nikon Z 50mm F1.8 +6 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads