***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, Aug 6th - 12th, 2022***

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
surfoxy
surfoxy Contributing Member • Posts: 879
Re: Sayulita Sunset

Derek Dean wrote:

I'd say your trip is off to a good start with this beautifully captured sunset.

Just a thought, but I wonder if lifting the shadows a bit more for the young lady sitting on the beach would have given the viewer a clearer starting point. Now, If she were standing up, with full backlighting, I could see leaving her more in silhouette, but in this case, I wonder if more shadow detail would be better.

In any case, a wonderful image as it is. Enjoy your trip : )

VisionLight wrote:

A - That's a beautiful capture of the sunset.

B - but, What Derek said. I could have written the same exact words because that was exactly my first impression as well.

C - Still, a beautiful capture. Enjoy your trip.

Good feedback, thanks both of you. Trip actually kind of sucked. Unbearably hot and humid, got sick twice, my wife got sick, my oldest too...ugh. Water was kind of gross with some torrential rains washing...stuff into the ocean, so the surfing wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. I think we're less Mexico travelers and more Switzerland travelers... We started to have more fun at the end, and had some great zip line adventures and good connections with some people.

Anyway.

For some reason I don't want to push it too far. I thought I liked the silhouette, but y'all are right, it's more connected with the more readable woman. Thanks!

surfoxy's gear list:surfoxy's gear list
Fujifilm X100V Sony a9 II Sony FE 100-400mm F4.5-5.6 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 Sigma 85mm F1.4 DG GN +2 more
barnyz Contributing Member • Posts: 671
Re: ***Ghent, a historic city in Belgium***

Glenn Barber wrote:

I cant describe how impressed I am by your videos.

As a long time photographer who is just discovering how to shoot video with my Sony A1 - am searching for sources of information as to the hows and whys and best practices of videography with my Sony.

Do how have any short videos on how you setup your camera and your post processing?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words. I set up my A7iii according to info i got from GeraldUndones youtube channel but that was a video specific for the A7iii (he has not done a similar video for the A1 as far as I recall but its worth watching his A1 review as its video specific so there might be some useful info in there). There were other videos i watched as well but it was such a long time ago i dont recal which ones.

Mark Galer has a small section about basic video setup in one of his videos with his own recommended settings which is probably worth watching if you didnt already do so https://youtu.be/888iqbtcrcw?t=3941

This video also seems to have good info (although its not A1 specific) https://youtu.be/_we3c5e84eU

I follow the usual rules when filming. Shutter speed being double my frame rate and using an ND filter to allow shooting at wider apertures. I have my settings saved to one of the memory recall modes.

As for post processing... i dont do much. I shoot in the cine2 profile which is 8bit and kind of flat and allows a little colour grading. I use Davinci Resolve and generally apply a little contrast and saturation and then try and even out the colours using the colour wheels on the colour tab. I dont use any LUTs or do anything complicated (proper colour grading is a mystery to me). I believe newer Sony cameras have a new colour profile called s-cinetone which i read was great so if i got an A1 i would probably explore using that.

anyway i realise im waffling on now when you probably know most of this stuff already. Sorry i cant be much help, im still very much an amatuer and I dont have an A1 to know what is best for that camera

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a6300 Sony a7 III Sony E 16-50mm F3.5-5.6 PZ OSS Sony FE 24-105mm F4
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,273

A seriously beautiful video, Barny.

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Derek Dean

surfoxy wrote:

Derek Dean wrote:

I'd say your trip is off to a good start with this beautifully captured sunset.

Just a thought, but I wonder if lifting the shadows a bit more for the young lady sitting on the beach would have given the viewer a clearer starting point. Now, If she were standing up, with full backlighting, I could see leaving her more in silhouette, but in this case, I wonder if more shadow detail would be better.

In any case, a wonderful image as it is. Enjoy your trip : )

VisionLight wrote:

A - That's a beautiful capture of the sunset.

B - but, What Derek said. I could have written the same exact words because that was exactly my first impression as well.

C - Still, a beautiful capture. Enjoy your trip.

Good feedback, thanks both of you. Trip actually kind of sucked. Unbearably hot and humid, got sick twice, my wife got sick, my oldest too...ugh. Water was kind of gross with some torrential rains washing...stuff into the ocean, so the surfing wasn't as enjoyable as it could have been. I think we're less Mexico travelers and more Switzerland travelers... We started to have more fun at the end, and had some great zip line adventures and good connections with some people.

Anyway.

For some reason I don't want to push it too far. I thought I liked the silhouette, but y'all are right, it's more connected with the more readable woman. Thanks!

Wow, what a difference that made, and I think you were right in not taking it up too far. Perfect!

Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Derek Dean
Fading Forest Light

Another shot from last year.  I'm really enjoying going back and processing some shots that I had maybe passed over the first time through.

By the way, I used some funky filters on this, so you might notice a few artifacts here and there, but I think for the most part they helped give me the look I was after.

Comments and suggestions always welcome : )

Fading Forest Light ©2021 Derek Dean

Guy Roberts Regular Member • Posts: 338
Re: Wildlife

Just looked at your Flickr page. You have some really nice stuff there.

Guy Roberts's gear list:Guy Roberts's gear list
Sony a7R II Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III Sony FE 24mm F2.8 G Sony FE 50mm F2.5 G
PPierre Contributing Member • Posts: 583
Some butterflies
 PPierre's gear list:PPierre's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +2 more
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
Re: Some butterflies

Got used to your excellent work on buildings with water reflections...but this butterflies series is really beautiful. You nailed the colors and contrast in a really nice dreamy look.

Well done Pierre

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a7R V Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +11 more
paul katinas
paul katinas Contributing Member • Posts: 934
Re: Wildlife

Guy Roberts wrote:

Just looked at your Flickr page. You have some really nice stuff there.

Thank you for the kindly compliment Guy. Happy trails.

Orsonneke
Orsonneke Senior Member • Posts: 1,341
Moonshot
 Orsonneke's gear list:Orsonneke's gear list
Fujifilm X-T3 Sony a7R IV Fujifilm XF 18-55mm F2.8-4 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Fujifilm XF 23mm F1.4 R +10 more
PPierre Contributing Member • Posts: 583

Thank you, Roger, it is always a great pleasure to share pictures here. It reminds me that I actually love photography for pictures, not only gear, and I think you're doing a tremendous job creating a thread where we can all share our passion without talking about gear.

PPierre's gear list:PPierre's gear list
Sony a7 III Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony FE 70-200 F4 Zeiss Batis 25mm F2 Zeiss Batis 85mm F1.8 +2 more
WhistlerNorth Contributing Member • Posts: 562
Friday Mountain Reflections

Small tarn reflections

WhistlerNorth's gear list:WhistlerNorth's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 IV Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +5 more
Glenn Barber Veteran Member • Posts: 3,805

barnyz wrote:

Glenn Barber wrote:

I cant describe how impressed I am by your videos.

As a long time photographer who is just discovering how to shoot video with my Sony A1 - am searching for sources of information as to the hows and whys and best practices of videography with my Sony.

Do how have any short videos on how you setup your camera and your post processing?

Glenn

Hi Glenn, thanks for the kind words. I set up my A7iii according to info i got from GeraldUndones youtube channel but that was a video specific for the A7iii (he has not done a similar video for the A1 as far as I recall but its worth watching his A1 review as its video specific so there might be some useful info in there). There were other videos i watched as well but it was such a long time ago i dont recal which ones.

Mark Galer has a small section about basic video setup in one of his videos with his own recommended settings which is probably worth watching if you didnt already do so https://youtu.be/888iqbtcrcw?t=3941

This video also seems to have good info (although its not A1 specific) https://youtu.be/_we3c5e84eU

I follow the usual rules when filming. Shutter speed being double my frame rate and using an ND filter to allow shooting at wider apertures. I have my settings saved to one of the memory recall modes.

As for post processing... i dont do much. I shoot in the cine2 profile which is 8bit and kind of flat and allows a little colour grading. I use Davinci Resolve and generally apply a little contrast and saturation and then try and even out the colours using the colour wheels on the colour tab. I dont use any LUTs or do anything complicated (proper colour grading is a mystery to me). I believe newer Sony cameras have a new colour profile called s-cinetone which i read was great so if i got an A1 i would probably explore using that.

anyway i realise im waffling on now when you probably know most of this stuff already. Sorry i cant be much help, im still very much an amatuer and I dont have an A1 to know what is best for that camera

Thank you for taking the time to respond in detail.  Much appreciated.   I've been looking at the Mark Galer video you recommended.  Post processing will be even bigger challenge as there are so many applications out there.  Ive been leaning toward using the C-Cinetone PP11 - but am waiting for feedback from users who video wildlife to see how they feel it handles the bright colors and contracts of those subjects.

Glenn Barber's gear list:Glenn Barber's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony a6600 Sony a1 Sony E PZ 18-105mm F4 G OSS Sony FE 35mm F2.8 +13 more
Derek Dean

PPierre wrote:

I've got to agree with Roger, I just love the dreamy quality you've achieved with these, and even when viewed at 100% they are simply stunning.  Well done : )

TN Args
TN Args Forum Pro • Posts: 10,553
Sunset watchers enjoying a panoramic view

Salmon Hole Bay, Australia

...if you can spot them!

• 135mm ƒ/5.6 using Tamron 28-200 on 𝜶7R 𝛪𝛪𝛪. Hugin helped!
-- hide signature --

"A picture is a secret about a secret: the more it tells you, the less you know." —Diane Arbus

TN Args's gear list:TN Args's gear list
Sigma dp0 Quattro Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Olympus E-M5 II Sony a7R III Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 9-18mm F4.0-5.6 +10 more
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,611
Re: SHAKE IT OFF

golfgti2012 wrote:

Great capture

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a7R V Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +11 more
jorge elguera
jorge elguera Contributing Member • Posts: 572

Ahhh Sayulita and Punta Mita are such beautiful places, near Puerto Vallarta. Your sunset photo captured very well the tropical vibe of the area.

Although Sayulita beach is a bit crowded for my idyllic beach dream, it was fun and has some great photo ops, particularly near Playa de Los Muertos where the views are awesome. Zona Romantica also has very nice pebbled roads and buildings.

-- hide signature --

Jorge Elguera
Lima - Peru.
www.pbase.com/jorginho

jorge elguera's gear list:jorge elguera's gear list
Sony a7R III Sony a1 Sigma 85mm F1.4 EX DG HSM Samyang 14mm F2.8 ED AS IF UMC Sony FE 55mm F1.8 +4 more
Handiworks
Handiworks Contributing Member • Posts: 835
A7iv, First Shots.

Nothing fancy, just a couple SOOC Jpegs testing the colors on my new A7iv.
(Tamron 20mm & 28-200)

-- hide signature --

"The present is the only point where time touches eternity" C.S. Lewis

Handiworks's gear list:Handiworks's gear list
Sony a7 IV Tamron 20mm F2.8 Di III OSD Tamron 28-200mm F2.8-5.6
Heuristix Forum Member • Posts: 54
Whitewater rafters framed by the New River Gorge bridge

Whitewater rafters framed by the New River Gorge bridge

Heuristix's gear list:Heuristix's gear list
Sony a6000 Nikon D5500 Sony a6400 Sony a7R IIIA Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 35mm F1.8G +11 more
Lichtspiel
Lichtspiel Veteran Member • Posts: 3,449
Re: SHAKE IT OFF

rogerjosem wrote:

golfgti2012 wrote:

Great capture

Would have been a real mind-boggler if you had posted this upside down!

Very nice shot indeed, luv terns!

Lichtspiel's gear list:Lichtspiel's gear list
Sony a7C Voigtlander 15mm F4.5 Super Wide Heliar Sony FE 20mm F1.8G Tamron 70-300 F4.5-6.3 Di RXD III Samyang Reflex 300mm F6.3 +5 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads