R7 for wildlife/action; USM or STM?

Started Aug 2, 2022 | Questions
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,177
R7 for wildlife/action; USM or STM?

My R7 arrives in a couple of days, and I am debating the 600mm f.11 (STM) vs. RF100-400mm (USM). Forgetting all other considerations (reach, f stop, weight, versatility, etc.), WHICH LENS TYPE would work best. Informed opinions welcome, actual experience invaluable.

-- hide signature --

I may not respond to your post if you have not posted photos to your Gallery or entered any Challenges. Nothing personal, I just like to have a sense of my correspondent.

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS R7
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
TeeJay626 Contributing Member • Posts: 619
Re: R7 for wildlife/action; USM or STM?

itsallBb2me wrote:

My R7 arrives in a couple of days, and I am debating the 600mm f.11 (STM) vs. RF100-400mm (USM). Forgetting all other considerations (reach, f stop, weight, versatility, etc.), WHICH LENS TYPE would work best. Informed opinions welcome, actual experience invaluable.

I have the R7 and R10 with both of those lenses.  Each has it's own use.  The RF 100-400's AF is faster, but not by much.  But you also need to keep in mind that the other is a 600mm lens and the focus will be a tad slower.

The good point on both lenses is that the AF on both, so far, has been very accurate and fast.  The AF on the 600 f11 is faster than some earlier STM lenses and it's super quiet.  Either way, you will be happy with either lens on the R7.

The reason I have both is for versatility.  The RF 100-400 gets more use, but the 600 f11 comes in so handy when I'm shooting farther away wildlife.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +7 more
MannyV
MannyV Senior Member • Posts: 1,084

itsallBb2me wro,⁵te:

I have the 800mm F11 STM. Works great on R6. On r7 it works well as far as AF speed and accuracy is concerned. The bigger challenge is the diffraction issue.

For me rf800 is for R6, rf100-500 for both R6 as well as r7.

-- hide signature --

Manny
Still draft and working towards it - https://www.digitalphoto.work

JustUs7 Senior Member • Posts: 4,957

My experience is on the RP, but I rented the 600 for a vacation and now own the 100-400. For me, there wasn’t enough difference in AF to worry about. The 100-400 is definitely snappier. It goes goes from out of focus to in focus in a snap.

As far as owning, I value the versatility of the zoom range. If I want close to the same reach and keep the versatility, someday I can add the 1.4x and end up with 560mm at f/11 at the long end. With the ability to step down (not that I’d ever do it).

600 f/11

400 f/8

JustUs7's gear list:JustUs7's gear list
Canon EOS 1000D Canon EOS Rebel SL1 Canon EOS RP Canon EOS M6 II Canon EF 75-300mm f/4.0-5.6 III +10 more
OP (unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 2,177

TeeJay626 wrote:

itsallBb2me wrote:

I have the R7 and R10 with both of those lenses. Each has it's own use. The RF 100-400's AF is faster, but not by much. But you also need to keep in mind that the other is a 600mm lens and the focus will be a tad slower.

The good point on both lenses is that the AF on both, so far, has been very accurate and fast. The AF on the 600 f11 is faster than some earlier STM lenses and it's super quiet. Either way, you will be happy with either lens on the R7.

The reason I have both is for versatility. The RF 100-400 gets more use, but the 600 f11 comes in so handy when I'm shooting farther away wildlife.

Thanks for a great reply. Now another question: do you use either/both teleconverters with either setup? If so, how are they working and which setup do you prefer?

-- hide signature --

I may not respond to your post if you have not posted photos to your Gallery or entered any Challenges. Nothing personal, I just like to have a sense of my correspondent.

TeeJay626 Contributing Member • Posts: 619

itsallBb2me wrote:

TeeJay626 wrote:

itsallBb2me wrote:

I have the R7 and R10 with both of those lenses. Each has it's own use. The RF 100-400's AF is faster, but not by much. But you also need to keep in mind that the other is a 600mm lens and the focus will be a tad slower.

The good point on both lenses is that the AF on both, so far, has been very accurate and fast. The AF on the 600 f11 is faster than some earlier STM lenses and it's super quiet. Either way, you will be happy with either lens on the R7.

The reason I have both is for versatility. The RF 100-400 gets more use, but the 600 f11 comes in so handy when I'm shooting farther away wildlife.

Thanks for a great reply. Now another question: do you use either/both teleconverters with either setup? If so, how are they working and which setup do you prefer?

I had the RF 1.4x TC and used it on the 100-400.  It delivered great results on the R6, but I no longer have it.  It should product very good results on the R7.  I wouldn't use it on the 600 f11 as now you're looking at f16 or so.  I like having both lenses, as the 100-400 is very versatile while the 600 prime also has it's uses.  I doubt I'll be getting the TC again anytime soon.

TeeJay626's gear list:TeeJay626's gear list
Canon EOS R7 Canon EOS R6 Mark II Canon EF-S 10-22mm F3.5-4.5 USM Canon EF 16-35mm F4L IS USM Canon RF 35mm F1.8 IS STM Macro +7 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads