* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 6 months ago | Photos
dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,282
Re: Flowers

These are simply gorgeous Rich. If I had to pick just one, it would be number 4.

I have never thought for even one second that you would be constrained by reality.😃

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III +1 more
Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 16,654

Thanks, Dave.  I like that rose, too.

I wrestled with reality for 45 years and I'm happy to state that I finally won out over it.  Rich

19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 44,948

Up all night again Rich?  I have been having difficulty sleeping recently but had been doing better until now.

Andrew

Rich Z

Yes, a late one tonight, Andrew.  I don't like to toss and turn so I stay up until I get drowsy.  It's a quarter past one and I'm ready to give it a try.

I hope you have a good night's sleep.  Rich

meow
meow Veteran Member • Posts: 5,537

Rich Z wrote:

I don't want to hand hold the light, Charlotte. Old shoulders get sore. The light came with a tiny ball head which locks into the shoe and threads into the light frame on both the long sides or the short sides. I've been using it above the shoe. For very close work the lens shadows some of the light, so I got an articulating arm 19 cm long which puts the light at the end of the lens. The light is 8x16 cm. I just got the arm and extra ball joints today and just finished putting it together. It looks like something from a 1950s science fiction movie. I need low light to try it and the fog has quit. I'll have to wait until tomorrow evening. Rich

Right! I didn't think about those. Thanks. I'll go look at a local site that sells cheap stuff and often has sales and see if they have anything.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +2 more
Rich Z

Did you ever get to sleep last night, Andrew?  I didn't and today I'm zombiefied.  I am planning to go out a couple of hours before sunset to test my newly modified light set up if I have the energy.

Right now if just feel like lying around.   Rich

19andrew47

Around 5 a.m.  Headache this morning. Went out to try to shoot butterflies but the lens fogged up instantly so I gave up. The sun has disappeared so the opportunity is gone.

Andrew

Jim Vincent Senior Member • Posts: 2,963
50th

I've been away for a week, but this appears to be the most recent Weekly Image Thread.

It's appropriate since 7/29/22 also marked our 50th wedding anniversary.  I'm not a portrait photographer, nor much of a flash or tripod user, but my wife insisted we needed a 50th anniversary photo in our garden - so this is what she got.

I then took her on a garden tour trip to four well known gardens in eastern PA (an 18 hour drive from here).  First we stopped at Hershey Gardens.  It's right across the street from the Hershey amusement park (which was extremely busy) but the gardens were pretty quiet.

They have a nice butterfly house, which we toured, and just outside that is a pond and fountain surrounded by a large rose garden (Rich would have gone crazy).

Lots of interesting roses and not a Japanese Beetle in sight!

Thought this one was pretty interesting with peddles that were a brilliant red on one side and bright yellow on the back side.  There were 100's of different varieties of rose blooming.

They also have a wonderful children's garden, where my wife enjoyed the spraying Hershey's Kisses and other garden art along with the many flowers.

We also enjoyed their Japanese garden and their arboretum with a huge variety of trees.

The next day we went to Longwood Gardens (a former DuPont estate) with it's amazing fountains, gardens, and conservatory.

The third day we toured Winterthur - another DuPont estate - it is a beautiful property with rolling hills, open pasturelands, and woodlands.  Supposedly the blooms are fabulous in spring, but there was nothing blooming now.  We did take the tour through a portion of the mansion (it's the 6th largest in the USA at over 69,000 sq ft).

The fourth day we visited Chanticleer.  Lots more blooms here and lots of interesting chairs, benches, gates and railings all made on the property.

One afternoon we even went down to Philadelphia to see the Liberty Bell and Independence Hall - but the crowds were too much for us so we didn't spend a lot of time there.

After visiting Chanticleer we started home.  Drove as far as Ohio that afternoon, then 14 hours to home yesterday.  It was a nice trip, but it's good to be home and able to relax a little again.

Jim Vincent's gear list:Jim Vincent's gear list
OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS
Re: Boats

Nice shots Andrew.  Think I like #4 best.

OM-1 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 60mm F2.8 Macro Olympus 7-14mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 12-100mm F4.0 Olympus 100-400mm F5.0-6.3 IS
Re: a few more from maine

Thanks for the memories.  It's a lovely area.  We visited years ago on a bike camping adventure and enjoyed it.  Should probably go again ...

Re: my flatiness against Charlotte’s *

Maybe it's a translation problem - your photos don't look like flatland to me.

Re: A Few Good Planes

Nice pix of the old flyers.  And I was worried about putting too many pix in my post!

Nice - yes you would have gone nuts at the gardens we toured.

Rich Z

Thanks, Jim.  Likely so, and I would have returned home with thousands of pictures and kicked myself for making so many to go through.  Rich

19andrew47
Re: Boats

Thanks Jim.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: 50th

In two weeks for us Jim.

The gardens you visited are lovely.  A lot of driving!  We are flying to Newfoundland where we will rent a car and drive.  I am not sure how well either of us would hold up to lengthy drives any more.  The new car seems to be more comfortable to drive in so perhaps we would be ok.  I hope you had a great time and the weather cooperated for you.

Andrew

Rich Z

A nice set of pictures, Jim.  You sure hit a lot of stops and made some great pictures.   I like your portrait.  You both look happy.  That's a good choice of shirt colors.  I used to get annoyed by people showing up in plaid shirts for portraits after I'd told them to wear a plain color.  I really like the fountains in #8.  I would go nuts in those gardens, but when I think of Hershey, Pa. I think of car shows and parts shows where I'd go much crazier.  Rich

Congratulations on your 50th Andrew.

The first few days were gray last last few bright blue. All got hotter than we like. No storms though. Lots of construction on the highways.

Newfoundland sounds nice. We've never been there. Nova Scotia is as far east as we've gone in Canada.

Thanks Rich. My photos don't begin to do the gardens justice. The fountains at Longwood are amazing. Would have loved to see them at night when they are all lit with multi colored lights dancing to the music. The main fountain sprays 30,000 gallons per minute!

meow
meow Veteran Member • Posts: 5,537

Congratulations to you and your wife! 💐

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +2 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads