* The Weekly Image Thread 22 07 29 #705 *

Started 7 months ago | Photos
19andrew47
OP 19andrew47 Forum Pro • Posts: 44,980
Re: Boats

Damp is an understatement Roy!  The amount of mist in the air will soak you in short order!  I have not seen the falls from the U.S. side but at some point in time in the future I want to do so.  The biggest issue with that view is likely all the clutter you will see in the background from the hotels etc. that line the area above Falls Avenue on the Canadian side.

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: * Lake ATITLAN *

Very scenic Roy.  You out for some rest and relaxation?  Well deserved if so!

Andrew

19andrew47
Re: my flatiness against Charlotte’s *

You need a trike Roy so you can pedal your %^& up and down that flattiness!  On second thought, your roads appear a bit too 'rough' for a bike or trike!  Maybe a mountain bike is better suited!  Gorgeous country side.  One of the good things about flat land is there are no volcanos!  On the other hand we live not all that far from the major fault line that is responsible for Niagara Falls and the Niagara escarpment.  Fortunately there have only been some very minor quakes here in the past several decades.

Andrew

EZGritz
EZGritz Senior Member • Posts: 5,928

My parents were married there in 1949. I've never been there.

EZGritz's gear list:EZGritz's gear list
Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +7 more
19andrew47
Re: A Few Good Planes

Great effect in the third last Harvey, with the yellow circle created by the paint on the ends of the prop blades!

I assume the one with the folding wings was a carrier plane.

Andrew

19andrew47

The Canadian side along Falls Avenue is wall to wall people in normal times Harvey.  Now it is still very busy but much less so than before.  Two years ago when we went you could have set up lawn chairs on the street and had a party without much risk of being struck by cars.

Andrew

during a minor break in covid, after first two shots.  Normally the entire sidewalk would be wall to wall people with people waiting to get a spot on the railing.  The street above this that has the hotels was nearly vacant.

easy to get a good view then

no traffic jam!

Rich Z
Rich Z Forum Pro • Posts: 16,691
Re: Around Humboldt Bay

Thanks, Charlotte.  I am happy you liked my tour.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: Around Humboldt Bay

Thanks, Roy.  Stay safe on your bike.  Rich

Rich Z
Re: * Lake ATITLAN *

That's a beautiful view, Roy.  I hope they remain asleep.  Rich

EZGritz
Re: A Few Good Planes

Yes, a Skyraider, this one in Army/Marine land-based livery. They were sometimes based or transported on carriers. Used extensively in Vietnam. That era's version of the jet-powered A-10 Warthog.

The Skyraider was a great plane. Top speed almost 300MPH, idle time of 7 hours in the air limited by a 55-gallon oil tank. Engine used a lot of oil. It ran out of engine oil before it ran out of gas.

Carried an enormous amount and variety of ordinances as you can see. Three-man crew. Navigator, bombader, pilot. One of my friends was a navigator on one of them. He said the plane was much loved, could take a lot of battle damage and make it home, highly reliable, sturdy,  "Flew like a Cadillac". Smooth, steady, good gun, rocket, bomb platform. It looks it. Great plane.

Olympus E-M5 III OM-1 Olympus Body Cap Lens 15mm F8.0 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 17mm F1.8 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital 25mm F1.8 +7 more
dt27348
dt27348 Veteran Member • Posts: 9,303
Re: Glen Strae

Thanks Roy. We do get quite a lot of rain which keeps the landscape nice and green.

Dave

dt27348's gear list:dt27348's gear list
Sony SLT-A65 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix G Vario 100-300mm F4-5.6 OIS Sony DT 16-50mm F2.8 SSM Tamron 14-150mm F/3.5-5.8 Di III +1 more
EZGritz
Columbia River Sentinel

Maryhill vineyard and winery

19andrew47
Re: Columbia River Sentinel

Quite a remarkable difference in landscape on the opposite sides of the river Harvey, brown versus lush green.  The owl's eyes have faded from exposure to the light so I assume it has been on guard for a few years.

Andrew

EZGritz
Re: Columbia River Sentinel

Cataracts

R Liewenberger Senior Member • Posts: 1,775
Guzzi etc.

Rich Z wrote:

I stopped at a red light on my new Moto Guzzi 850 touring bike and put both feet into a huge puddle of ATF and fell over. The Guzzi was light at 450 pounds, but I could not get a foothold to pick it up for a few tries. It had curved crash bars to protect the protruding cylinders so only scratches on one bar. Harleys have very narrow engines so when you drop one it lays flat and is really a gut buster to get one back up.

With my older BMWs (the 2-cylinder R-line) it was a little easier, they dropped in kind of two stages: Step one was down on one of the cylinder heads of the flat twin, left or right hand side, both wheels still touching the ground; only step two was all the way down, handle bar/rear view mirror and cylinder head touching the ground, wheels no longer in contact with the ground.

That way, getting them back up again was easier than something with a narrow engine, as in the worst case scenario you could do it in two steps.

Once BMW had introduced the more narrow engine 4-cylinder K-line in 1983, after sixty years of flat twins, there was no longer a difference in getting it back up, just as bad now as most of the other bikes. Just good I had learnt my lessons by then; none of my 4-cylinders ever landed flat on the ground!

These crash bars: I also had them on most of my 2-cylinders, mainly for the looks, as well as on my first 'naked' K 100, but no longer on the last one (K100 RT) with its nice big fairing. Not so nice about these bars: Sometimes they did protect the engine but caused damage to the frame instead, what could be very expensive!

Guzzi 850: An Ex used to have one, back in 1985, the 850 T5.

Was yours the same model?

Hers also had these Guzzi crash bars, as you can see in the next picture, a scan from an old print from 1985. That silver color 1984 BMW was my very first 4-cylinder K 100. Some extras were the broader/higher handle bar, the high windshield, the two additional headlamps, crash bars and the luggage boxes:

With their 1986 model, Guzzi offered a tiny little (but pretty effective!) wind shield/deflector, which my Ex really wanted to have.

As we couldn't find it on a Saturday morning shopping trip to a German Guzzi dealer in the Black Forest region, who was supposed to have it, we decided to spend the rest of that weekend in southern Alsace/France. Then on Monday morning we decided to drive down all the way through Switzerland to Mandello del Lario at the Lago di Como in northern Italy, where we bought it at the Guzzi factory there. What began as a one-day shopping trip ended as a wonderful ad-hoc holiday week, the last couple days in a little hotel near Merano/Tyrol.

A happy Guzzi T 5 owner (another scan from a not so great old print that starts turning yellowish):

She never really liked that brownish color of her Guzzi, so in 1986 that color was changed to 'Perlmutt-Weiß-Metallic', white with an interesting looking metallic mother of pearl effect. Now the Guzzi became the 'Perlmuzzi'.

Btw, this 'z' or 'zz' in 'Guzzi' is not pronounced the English way in German or Italian, but like 'ts', 'Goottsy'.

Thanks Rich for posting that Yamaha 'Star' picture!

I always thought I am actually quite well informed when it comes to bikes, but that Yamaha built such a shameless Harley replica/clone was new to me!

Liewenberger

Aug 2, 06:05 GMT

Rich Z
Re: Guzzi etc.

I had a Guzzi 750 Ambassador, then a 850 Eldorado, then a V7 Sport. I worked for the Los Angeles Police Dept. on their motorcycles after they got Guzzis in the early 70s. The motor officers did not like the hard 18 inch rear tire on the Guzzis and I made a good living modifying the police Guzzis to take a 16 inch rear tire like the Harleys had. I would re lace the wheels to the smaller rim and that didn't come cheap as very few shops laced and trued spoke wheels. The L.A.P.D. officers loved the Guzzis because they were comfortable, fast, and could go around corners like a Harley cannot. Then in 1973 there was a long and protracted dock strike in Genoa. Guzzi could not ship out anything. No new bikes here, but more importantly, no parts. The L.A.P.D. couldn't get parts to service their bikes and dumped all their Guzzis and bought Kawasakis. That lasted over a year and Moto Guzzi lost favor with civilian buyers, too. Resale value on used Guzzis plummeted, mine lost much of its value. Moto Guzzi have never recovered here in The U.S. I finally bought a new BMW R100 in 1978 and I still have it. BMW U.S. offered a deal, $3995. including Luftmeister fairing and Krauser bags, and I got the dealer to throw in a pair of crash bars.

Here is an interesting read. Rich

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moto_Guzzi_V8

softmarmotte
softmarmotte Veteran Member • Posts: 4,465
Floatplane

From Naples Maine, over Sebago and the White Mountains

-- hide signature --

anyone is welcome to do anything they want with my images except sell them for profit
https://www.flickr.com/photos/softmarmotte/

softmarmotte's gear list:softmarmotte's gear list
Sony RX100 Olympus E-M1 II Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 14-150mm 1:4-5.6 Olympus M.Zuiko Digital ED 40-150mm F4-5.6 R +13 more
19andrew47
Re: Floatplane

A brave man Rich!  I don't care much for flying and have not been on a small plane.  Nice images.  That looks like a very pleasant area to spend some time.  Smallish lakes and forest with hills or mountains in the backgrounds are hard to beat.

Andrew

meow
meow Veteran Member • Posts: 5,539

Now I'm envious again. Flying in a small plane is such fun. You really FEEL you're flying. The big ones are like watching TV and equally boring.

Great patchwork in the second shot. That "advertising patch" is a work of art.

meow's gear list:meow's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Olympus 12-40mm F2.8 Pro Olympus 40-150mm F2.8 Pro Venus Laowa 7.5mm F2 MFT 7artisans 7.5mm F2.8 Fisheye +2 more
EZGritz

I don't think there is a better way to travel than by floatplane. Amazing for sightseeing. Relaxing. Makes landing in so many more interesting locations possible.

Wonderful in the Pacific Northwest where we have 300 islands in the Puget Sound to explore between the snowcapped Cascades, Olympics, and the coastal mountain of British Columbia, and Seattle, and Vancouver BC for backgrounds. Hard to beat this scenery anywhere in the world.

We have a floatplane harbor in Kenmore on Lake Washington and one on Lake Union not much further away in Seattle. Wish I had time to grab a camera and get up there for a scenic flight.

Fly out of either one to the San Juan Islands into Friday Harbor, or Rosario, into Victoria or Tofino on Vancouver Island. So romantic to land in one of these locations at sunset. Jawdropping, mesmerizing. Can't think of a better summer experience. Land in a deserted cove in Desolation Sound, British Columbia for an adventure.

I met a NetJets pilot on a commercial flight to Florida a few years ago. He was the first pilot they hired when they started the business. He told me he used to fly Warren Buffet into Seattle to pick up Bill Gates when they went off somewhere together. He said anytime he flew into SEATAC in good weather he always asked flight control to let him slow the plane down and idle in at 2,000 feet just to take in the scenery. That's saying a lot for a pilot who has flown into most airports everywhere in the world. Around here the air is a destination. You don't need to go anywhere but up and down. Having lived here for 19-20 years I've been on a lot of commercial flights in and out of SEATAC. Doesn't compare with experiencing it in a floatplane.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads