***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, July 30th - Aug 5th, 2022***

Started Jul 29, 2022 | Discussions
rogerjosem
MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,815
***This week with your a7x/a9x/a1, July 30th - Aug 5th, 2022***

This weekly topic serves as a place for forum members to share recent work with our Sony Alpha full frame cameras. It's OK for a7x and a9 camera owners to dazzle us with images made with other cameras, but the idea is to allow owners with similar cameras to compare notes, chops, and sensibilities.

Using Threaded View helps to keep each person's contribution and responses linked in a tree-like structure so replies/discussions are easier to follow.

To begin:

1. Add your contribution for the week by responding to this, the first message in this topic.

2. Change the Subject of your message, then embed your image into the reply with whatever you’d like to say about it. (Embedding makes it easier to participate, easier than a link to an image located outside the forum - but links aren’t a great offense).

If you especially want C&C (criticism/critique) or technique feedback, say so. It’s assumed one does want such feedback, but direct requests may garner a more studied analysis/response. If you don't want such feedback, say so, and others will respect your wishes.

If you feel you've been ignored, select your post, reply to it with a brief note to the effect of "Can I get some feedback?". Not getting feedback on a post isn't uncommon, so don't feel offended - no one is charged to ensure all posts get attention (we're not organized enough for that). If you want particular feedback (composition, exposure choice, etc.), saying so can be helpful for the potential respondents as to what your needs may be.

It is courteous and advisable that, should you post images for feedback, you also make comment on at least one other contribution. Respectful acknowledgment of everyone is the goal, and it’s requested that all participants assume some responsibility to that end.

Sometimes people illustrate suggestions by re-editing images that you post here and reposting them in this thread. If you don't want that done, please say so. Otherwise, we'll all assume that's OK with you. Of course, it is never OK for anyone to take your images, edited or not, and repost them elsewhere.

rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a7R V Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +12 more
Sony a1 Sony a7 Sony a9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
rogerjosem
OP MOD rogerjosem Veteran Member • Posts: 3,815
Snaps
 rogerjosem's gear list:rogerjosem's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100S Sony a7R V Zeiss Otus 55mm F1.4 Zeiss Otus 85mm F1.4 Sigma 105mm F1.4 DG HSM Art +12 more
VisionLight
VisionLight Veteran Member • Posts: 6,334
One week, only one lens, the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G

From time to time, I choose to concentrate on photographing with only one lens for a week or so. It not only makes life simple, but also gives a chance to re-acquaint myself with the lens' character and use, fine tuning my technique. Yes, sometimes one does miss some photo opportunities better caught with other focal lengths, but that's OK, those opportunities will reappear again. The lens this past week was the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS and here are some examples from a single afternoon around Westmoreland Sanctuary:

Damselflies gather to pay their respects at a wake on Bechtel Lake.

The classic heart shaped pose of damselflies mating. I did have an angle that clearly showed the actual eggs in the female's Ovipositor, but single frame DOF made all other details much too soft at this magnification. I'll have to continue to work on that, if I can get the damsels to sit still long enough.

An Emerald Damsel was kind enough to pose while keeping his wings extended in flight position.

The biggest success in capturing these images was not falling headfirst into the lake. I had to knell at the shoreline and bend all the way down to get close enough for these magnifications. I had to stop just in time to not find out how water resistant the camera and lens were. 

A couple other insects were easier to capture:

A Hummingbird Clearwing Moth hovered around the Sanctuary gardens  .  .  .

.  .  .  joined by a Silver Spotted Skipper.

Now I have to think about what the next candidate will be for the next "one week, only one lens".

Thanks for looking and comments are always welcome.

-- hide signature --
 VisionLight's gear list:VisionLight's gear list
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +16 more
John Borrelli
John Borrelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,355
Boardwalk and seaside views, after rainfall

May have rushed the processing a bit. All the best, john

John Borrelli's gear list:John Borrelli's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
Derek Dean
Derek Dean Veteran Member • Posts: 3,379
Re: One week, only one lens, the FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G

I like the idea, and your results speak for themselves, but how do you manage to get so close without scaring those little critters away?

Derek Dean's gear list:Derek Dean's gear list
Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Derek Dean
Re: Boardwalk and seaside views, after rainfall

It's hard to pick a favorite from that group.

One of things I enjoy about shooting with a larger sensor is the greater latitude and ability to record minor variations in color, and your seascapes showcase that ability quite nicely.

Sony a7R II Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Samyang AF 18mm F2.8 FE Sigma 100-400mm F5-6.3 DG DN OS Adobe Photoshop CS6 +2 more
Derek Dean
The Emerald Sea

I was going through some old files this week and found this image that I hadn't processed and thought I might as well give it a go.  Shot early in the morning at Lover's Point in Pacific Grove, CA.

Comments and suggestions always welcome : )

The Emerald Sea ©2021 Derek Dean

John Borrelli
John Borrelli Senior Member • Posts: 1,355
Re: Boardwalk and seaside views, after rainfall

Thank you Derek, much appreciated. i like your seascape very much.     All the best, john

John Borrelli's gear list:John Borrelli's gear list
Sony a7R IV Sony FE 50mm F1.8 Sony FE 16-35mm F2.8 +6 more
WhistlerNorth
WhistlerNorth Contributing Member • Posts: 677
Bears still in progress

This years new born black bear cub

Younger Grizzly

WhistlerNorth's gear list:WhistlerNorth's gear list
Sony a6500 Sony a7 IV Sony FE 28-70mm F3.5-5.6 OSS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Sony FE 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 G OSS +5 more
VisionLight

Derek Dean wrote:

I like the idea, and your results speak for themselves, but how do you manage to get so close without scaring those little critters away?

Thank you Derek. When I find the reeds where they are flying around, I just quietly sit or knell down and wait patiently as they get used to my presence. Damsels as well as dragons will then usually become very social if they do not perceive a threat. When then getting close to them to capture the image, I don't make any sudden or erratic moves - unless it's to stop myself from falling into the water.   Many times I will then find them landing on me, usually on my face or arms. Besides being social, they are also very curious. Odonata are definitely my favorite Order in the insect world. Ed

-- hide signature --
Samsung NX1 Canon EOS M5 Sony a7R IV Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS USM Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM +16 more
VisionLight
Re: The Emerald Sea

When I saw the image, my first impression was that it was a beautiful Winter seascape and you caught a very refreshing respite in the heat we are all going through. Then I read your intro and looked at the EXIF and it WAS Winter. So thanks for sharing this beautiful moment, it is much appreciated.

-- hide signature --
richj20 Forum Pro • Posts: 10,755

VisionLight wrote:

From time to time, I choose to concentrate on photographing with only one lens for a week or so.

That's a great project.

Nice poses for the damsels!

-- hide signature --
 richj20's gear list:richj20's gear list
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +2 more

A very captivating scene with the foggy background.

I've never seen water that color. The morning light's effect on the water?

-- hide signature --
Sony a7R II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Sony FE 35mm F2.8 Panasonic Lumix G Macro 30mm F2.8 +2 more
Landscaping and Flags

I have two on-going projects: interesting houses with landscaping other than grass (lawns). There is a big push in California due to the drought, for homeowners to remove their lawns and replace with plants.

The other is interesting looking houses displaying a flag.

Sometimes I get both in the same scene!

-- hide signature --
barnyz Contributing Member • Posts: 729
Re: ***Beauvais France and its epic cathedral***

Beauvais,  a small city near Paris that contains one of the most awesome pieces of medieval architecture in it's stunning half finished cathedral. Filmed on a7iii with Samyang 18mm f2.8 which is a great combo for cities and architecture

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS R5 C Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
barnyz Contributing Member • Posts: 729

Wonderful shot, the crashing waves, sea colour and atmospheric weather combine perfectly.

barnyz's gear list:barnyz's gear list
Sony a7 III Canon EOS R5 C Sony FE 24-105mm F4 Canon RF 24-105mm F4.0-7.1 IS STM
Derek Dean

richj20 wrote:

A very captivating scene with the foggy background.

I've never seen water that color. The morning light's effect on the water?

Thanks.  That's one thing I love about living near the coast, the color of the ocean is constantly changing, and is a combination of sky color, depth of water near the shore, and wave action.  It's always different, but never boring.

Here, I was just on the edge of that fog bank, with the sun rising in a clear sky behind me, helping accentuate that beautiful green color.

Derek Dean
Re: ***Beauvais France and its epic cathedral***

You really captured the grand majesty of that cathedral.  What a stunning building, inside and out.  Another masterfully crafted and beautifully photographed adventure.

mikedelderfield
mikedelderfield Regular Member • Posts: 369
Just a bee!

Sony A9 with 90mm Tamron manual focus macro lens

-- hide signature --

Still looking for the artistic bone that must be somewhere in my body....
Gallery
http://r2-photography-uk.com
Insta https://www.instagram.com/r2_photography_uk

mikedelderfield's gear list:mikedelderfield's gear list
Sony RX100 VI Sony a9 Sony FE 55mm F1.8 Sony 70-300mm F4.5-5.6 SSM II Samyang AF 35mm F2.8 FE +6 more
Snowfella
Snowfella Senior Member • Posts: 1,496
Sunday morning birding walk.

Between work and weather there's not been much opportunities lately so took the opportunity last week when I got a chance.

Didn't even make out of the carpark before my fist subject turned up, Laughing Kookaburra.

Eastern Yellow Robin

Female Superb Fairywren's having some preening time.

Lewin's Honeyeater

Eclipse male Superb Fairywren

Snowfella's gear list:Snowfella's gear list
Sony SLT-A77 Sony a99 II Sony a7R IV Sigma 150-500mm F5-6.3 DG OS HSM Sony FE 70-200 F4 +4 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads