ZV-1 Strange Shutter Noise

Started 6 months ago | Discussions
Lindsay D Contributing Member • Posts: 689
ZV-1 Strange Shutter Noise

I've just taken delivery of a ZV-1 and I'm doing some initial test shots. I've noticed a strange sound when I trip the shutter - it's a brief metallic 'ping' which sounds a bit like a small spring recoiling.

I was wondering if other ZV-1 owners wouldn't mind listening closely to their cameras to see if they can detect anything similar. I have quite sensitive hearing and in a silent room I can notice it from normal hand holding distance. It's more audible the closer I put my ear to the camera.

Opinions would be appreciated.

-- hide signature --

www.lindsaydobsonphotography.com

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,436
Re: ZV-1 Strange Shutter Noise

Lindsay D wrote:

I've just taken delivery of a ZV-1 and I'm doing some initial test shots. I've noticed a strange sound when I trip the shutter - it's a brief metallic 'ping' which sounds a bit like a small spring recoiling.

Why is that strange or surprising?  It's exactly what you expect a leaf shutter to sound like.

I was wondering if other ZV-1 owners wouldn't mind listening closely to their cameras to see if they can detect anything similar. I have quite sensitive hearing and in a silent room I can notice it from normal hand holding distance. It's more audible the closer I put my ear to the camera.

Yes, but why is that surprising?  It's exactly what is expected.  What did you expect to hear?

If you don't like it, you can force the use of the completely silent eShutter, but that has some disadvantages.

Opinions would be appreciated.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
OP Lindsay D Contributing Member • Posts: 689

I've owned a number of leaf shutter cameras over the years and I've never heard this sound before.

I just wanted to know if other ZV-1 owners were experiencing the same, and if it's normal for this camera. It's quite audible alongside the normal shutter sound.

Apologies if the question has caused annoyance, that wasn't my intention. I appreciate the reply.

-- hide signature --

sludge21017
sludge21017 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

I just hear a click on my Rx100M5 with mechanical shutter.

Is this ZV1 new or 2nd hand?

sludge21017 wrote:

It's new. I can return it, but before doing that I'm curious to know if other ZV-1 owners can detect anything similar. Aside from some concern over this noise, I'm very pleased with it.

-- hide signature --

Lindsay D wrote:

sludge21017 wrote:

It's new. I can return it, but before doing that I'm curious to know if other ZV-1 owners can detect anything similar. Aside from some concern over this noise, I'm very pleased with it.

Note that the ZV-1 has exactly the same lens and shutter as the RX100M5, so it'll sound identical.

Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more

Digital Nigel wrote:

Note that the ZV-1 has exactly the same lens and shutter as the RX100M5, so it'll sound identical.

Yes I think that's why the ZV-1 sounds unusual to me - I don't recall either of the RX100 models I've owned in the past making the same 'spring-ping' noise. It's not loud by any means, just loud enough to be audible in quiet shooting conditions.

The build quality of the ZV-1 is a notch down from the RX100, and I wondered if it might just be down to that.

-- hide signature --

Lindsay D wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Yes I think that's why the ZV-1 sounds unusual to me - I don't recall either of the RX100 models I've owned in the past making the same 'spring-ping' noise. It's not loud by any means, just loud enough to be audible in quiet shooting conditions.

The build quality of the ZV-1 is a notch down from the RX100, and I wondered if it might just be down to that.

I think the body is where they cut the corners to get the cost down.

sludge21017
sludge21017 Veteran Member • Posts: 3,739

Lindsay D wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Are you in any special modes?  I was in manual.

Have you changed from mechanical to electronic shutter, and then back?

There's only a few people here with ZV1s... not sure if they will "show up".

Dedicated ZV1 Facebook groups have lots of users - but very few posts.

sludge21017 wrote:

Are you in any special modes? I was in manual.

Have you changed from mechanical to electronic shutter, and then back?

There's only a few people here with ZV1s... not sure if they will "show up".

Dedicated ZV1 Facebook groups have lots of users - but very few posts.

I've changed various modes and settings, including re-setting the camera.

It's like a hollow echoey 'ting' on top of the regular shutter sound. I find it quite annoying when in a quiet environment, although some people may barely notice it.

The camera arrived with no protective packaging, bubble wrap or outer box - just the camera box wrapped in plastic. I wonder if it was dropped en-route.

-- hide signature --

tbcass
tbcass Forum Pro • Posts: 56,508

It has the same shutter as all the RX100 models. Without actually hearing the sound it would be difficult to comment on whether it's normal or not. If you can find another ZV-1 or any RX100 model you could compare the sound to see if it's normal or not.

-- hide signature --

Tom

tbcass's gear list:tbcass's gear list
Sony RX100 Sony RX10 IV Sony a99 II Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +7 more

tbcass wrote:

It has the same shutter as all the RX100 models. Without actually hearing the sound it would be difficult to comment on whether it's normal or not. If you can find another ZV-1 or any RX100 model you could compare the sound to see if it's normal or not.

I think I'll try to find a store which has one. I don't recall either of the RX100 models I owned making the same noise, I'm sure I would have noticed. Otherwise, I think I might return it and exchange it for another. Aside from that, I know I'll enjoy owning it, I find the handling much better than my RX100.

-- hide signature --

Leif Gredsted
Leif Gredsted Junior Member • Posts: 26

Hello Lindsay D, I own a ZV-1, and I hear absolutely no spring-like noise, when I take a picture; the sound is exactly as 'shutter-like' as from any other camera. No 'pling', sorry!

Leif Gredsted's gear list:Leif Gredsted's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX7 Sony Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 Sony ZV-1 +6 more

I've concluded that the ZV-1 might have a bit of 'individuality' in its sounds. I listened to another one today which had a slightly different mechanical shutter sound and the same ping-twang noise, but much less so. I listened to an RX100vii which had no ping noise whatsoever despite having the same assembly. Maybe minor manufacturing tolerances is the cause on whatever is damping the assembly.

It's been an interesting exercise and I have at least learned that the sound probably isn't the harbinger of doom I first thought it might be!

-- hide signature --

Lindsay D wrote:

I've concluded that the ZV-1 might have a bit of 'individuality' in its sounds. I listened to another one today which had a slightly different mechanical shutter sound and the same ping-twang noise, but much less so. I listened to an RX100vii which had no ping noise whatsoever despite having the same assembly. Maybe minor manufacturing tolerances is the cause on whatever is damping the assembly.

Strictly speaking, the RX100M7 has a different lens, and probably therefore a different shutter, to the ZV-1. It's the RX100M5 that has the identical lens and shutter (but a different body, which might transmit the sound slightly differently).

It's been an interesting exercise and I have at least learned that the sound probably isn't the harbinger of doom I first thought it might be!

Bbawt1 Forum Member • Posts: 98

Mine has no metallic ping, it does sound like 2 rapid plasticky sounding clicks.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads