Good, but nothing special

Started 7 months ago | User reviews
Jeep_Joseph
Jeep_Joseph Contributing Member • Posts: 651
Good, but nothing special

So, where do I begin with the D600?  Let's start with the pros of it.  Solid lowlight performance, decent fps, good weather sealing, dual card slots, it's small, and on the used market can be found for 400 bucks all day long.  However, it's a bit of a stepdown from the D800.  I regret buying my D600 over a D800.  Its grip is not that deep and comfortable, and the casing feels rather plasticky.  The autofocus absolutely sucks, especially in lowlight situations.  The colors are not anything to write home about, and the lowlight performance can't keep up with the Df.  Its buffer is rather shallow, and the camera doesn't have as many physical controls as a pro body.  Nothing special about the D600 aside from the very low price

Jeep_Joseph's gear list:Jeep_Joseph's gear list
Nikon D4 Nikon D600 Nikon D4S Nikon D750 Nikon D5 +8 more
Nikon D600
24 megapixels • 3.2 screen • Full frame sensor
Announced: Sep 13, 2012
Jeep_Joseph's score
Average community score
bad for good for
Kids / pets
good
Action / sports
okay
Landscapes / scenery
good
Portraits
good
Low light (without flash)
good
Flash photography (social)
good
Studio / still life
good
= community average
Nikon D600 Nikon D800 Nikon Df
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
Hexlord79
Hexlord79 Regular Member • Posts: 308
Re: Good, but nothing special

I have used it for 9 years under various type of lighting scenarios and it performed well enough for me.

It is pretty much a goldilocks camera! I plan to get a spare D600 or D610 for some casual photography works in the near future.

Hexlord79's gear list:Hexlord79's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Olympus E-PL7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D780
T O Shooter Forum Pro • Posts: 11,959

Jeep_Joseph wrote:

So, where do I begin with the D600? Let's start with the pros of it. Solid lowlight performance, decent fps, good weather sealing, dual card slots, it's small, and on the used market can be found for 400 bucks all day long. However, it's a bit of a stepdown from the D800. I regret buying my D600 over a D800. Its grip is not that deep and comfortable, and the casing feels rather plasticky. The autofocus absolutely sucks, especially in lowlight situations. The colors are not anything to write home about, and the lowlight performance can't keep up with the Df. Its buffer is rather shallow, and the camera doesn't have as many physical controls as a pro body. Nothing special about the D600 aside from the very low price

If you were expecting any more than what you found, you were expecting too much.  It was and is a bottom tier camera.

If you'd spent a little more, and bought a D750 you might have been somewhat more satisfied.

And alongside your D4 / D4s / D810, it's always going to be a letdown.

-- hide signature --

A Canon G5 and a bit of Nikon gear.
---------------------------

T O Shooter's gear list:T O Shooter's gear list
Canon PowerShot G5 Nikon D4S Nikon D500 Nikon D850 +5 more
Jeep_Joseph
OP Jeep_Joseph Contributing Member • Posts: 651

Yeah, I was a 15 year old kid when I got my D600 so I could only afford that, a D700, or a D3 on the fx side at the time.

Hexlord79
Hexlord79 Regular Member • Posts: 308

Jeep_Joseph wrote:

Yeah, I was a 15 year old kid when I got my D600 so I could only afford that, a D700, or a D3 on the fx side at the time.

Don't mind me asking but you did an earlier review for the D600 last year which is quite different from the current one you made. Perhaps you can explain why this is the case?

Hexlord79's gear list:Hexlord79's gear list
Olympus E-M1 Nikon Df Olympus E-PL7 Olympus OM-D E-M10 II Nikon D780
primeshooter
primeshooter Veteran Member • Posts: 7,158

T O Shooter wrote:

Jeep_Joseph wrote:

So, where do I begin with the D600? Let's start with the pros of it. Solid lowlight performance, decent fps, good weather sealing, dual card slots, it's small, and on the used market can be found for 400 bucks all day long. However, it's a bit of a stepdown from the D800. I regret buying my D600 over a D800. Its grip is not that deep and comfortable, and the casing feels rather plasticky. The autofocus absolutely sucks, especially in lowlight situations. The colors are not anything to write home about, and the lowlight performance can't keep up with the Df. Its buffer is rather shallow, and the camera doesn't have as many physical controls as a pro body. Nothing special about the D600 aside from the very low price

If you were expecting any more than what you found, you were expecting too much. It was and is a bottom tier camera.

If you'd spent a little more, and bought a D750 you might have been somewhat more satisfied.

And alongside your D4 / D4s / D810, it's always going to be a letdown.

Absolutely. And then there is the df with that nice d4 sensor; able to handle low light with ease...but it has a totally useless autofocus system that falls apart in shade let alone low light. Nikon has hit plenty of it's cameras with that cripple hammer the bean counters keep in the back.

briantilley
briantilley Veteran Member • Posts: 7,544

primeshooter wrote:

Absolutely. And then there is the df with that nice d4 sensor; able to handle low light with ease...but it has a totally useless autofocus system that falls apart in shade let alone low light. Nikon has hit plenty of it's cameras with that cripple hammer the bean counters keep in the back.

My Df focuses quite well in low light, as did the D600 that my late wife used to own.

But then I'm old-fashioned, and use it only with the centre AF point rather than any of those new-fangled tracking modes

briantilley's gear list:briantilley's gear list
Nikon Df Nikon Z7 Nikon Z6 Nikon Z fc Nikon Z9 +25 more
Jeep_Joseph
OP Jeep_Joseph Contributing Member • Posts: 651

Yeah, so 24/7 all i do I photography, and work on cameras and lenses. In that time since the last review, i have gotten into Zeiss, gold ring exotics, m zuiko pro, and many other lenses that cost much more than a D600. Actually, if I remember right the lens hood for my 300 2.8 vr2 costs as much as a used D600. In that time, i have also had a lot more cameras...its to the point where I really don't even like my D4 anymore. Not sure if that makes sense, but it's the best explanation I can give

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads