Nikon Z9 (Firmware Ver 2 & 2.10) issues with Ronin RS3 Pro Combo Raven Eye connection issues

Started Jul 11, 2022 | Discussions
skmadapatu
skmadapatu Regular Member • Posts: 329
Nikon Z9 (Firmware Ver 2 & 2.10) issues with Ronin RS3 Pro Combo Raven Eye connection issues

Nikon Z9 (Firmware Ver 2 & 2.10) issues with Ronin RS3 Pro Combo Raven Eye connection issues (“Please connect the dedicated cable to RSS port for this feature”). Please let me know if I am doing anything stupid - if not if there are any workarounds.

I followed the instructions in the RavenEye User guide (chrome-extension://efaidnbmnnnibpcajpcglclefindmkaj/https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_RS_2/DJI_Ronin_RavenEye_Image_Transmission_System_User_Guide_v1.0_en.pdf ) & video (https://youtu.be/s0bNfpN-0Is.) I spoke with the support and was told the Z9 version they tested is “Camera Firmware: V0.14;”. They asked me to submit a “Request for your camera configuration” at https://www.dji.com/support/compatibility/rs-3-pro/z9

https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/DJI_RS_2/DJI_Ronin_RavenEye_Image_Transmission_System_User_Guide_v1.0_en.pdf

AppInstruction

Gimbal USB-C & RoninEye Power or Communication USB-C connection

HDMI & Z9 Connection

Z9 + DJI RS 3 Pro Compatibility

If I connect the USB-C cable from Z9 directly to the RSS Camera control port (USB-C) of RavenEye, I am not getting that message. But that port is meant to be “when not used with DJI RS2/3 Pro” and getting the message “Gimbal not connected.”

-- hide signature --

Camera Specialization: Nikon Z9, Sony A1, D850, D5, D810, D800E, Sony Nex-7, Nikon D4S
Lenses: Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S,
Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14mm F2.8, 150-600MM, Macro Lenses

skmadapatu's gear list:skmadapatu's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 +23 more
Nikon Z9
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
NickZ2016 Veteran Member • Posts: 6,366
Re: Nikon Z9 (Firmware Ver 2 & 2.10) issues with Ronin RS3 Pro Combo Raven Eye connection issues

I only have the RS2 and a Z6 . I'm also not awake.

In your photo you've got the camera USB C plugged into the gimbal.  But your post seems to indicate you don't want that?

IMHO

Start without the raveneye. Activate the gimbal. I assume you still have to use the app to activate the RS3. Which app version are you using? The one from the DJI website or?

Once that's working plug in the raveneye. Make sure it's charged . You don't want to know how much time I wasted the first time with a dead battery.

You'll need to turn off wifi on the phone. Using BT connect to the raveneye.

Or are you complaining about the second screen shot? That's just telling you the BT Raveneye connection is in charge.  I don't remember it talking about the Ronin. Which makes me wonder if you've activated the gimbal and connected it to the app.

NickZ2016's gear list:NickZ2016's gear list
Nikon D800 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G Nikon AF Nikkor 35mm f/2D Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.8G Nikon 85mm F1.8G +4 more
skmadapatu
OP skmadapatu Regular Member • Posts: 329
Re: Nikon Z9 (Firmware Ver 2 & 2.10) issues with Ronin RS3 Pro Combo Raven Eye connection issues

NickZ2016 wrote:

I only have the RS2 and a Z6 . I'm also not awake.

In your photo you've got the camera USB C plugged into the gimbal. But your post seems to indicate you don't want that?

IMHO

Start without the raveneye. Activate the gimbal. I assume you still have to use the app to activate the RS3. Which app version are you using? The one from the DJI website or?

Once that's working plug in the raveneye. Make sure it's charged . You don't want to know how much time I wasted the first time with a dead battery.

You'll need to turn off wifi on the phone. Using BT connect to the raveneye.

Or are you complaining about the second screen shot? That's just telling you the BT Raveneye connection is in charge. I don't remember it talking about the Ronin. Which makes me wonder if you've activated the gimbal and connected it to the app.

Thank you for your kind reply and details

>> Start without the raveneye. Activate the Gimbal. <<

YES, I started WITHOUT RavenEye and activated the Gimbal.

>> Which app version are you using? <<

Ronin v1.5.0(3770)

>> The one from the DJI website or?<<

From the link (DJI website)

>> Once that's working plug in the raveneye. Make sure it's charged . <<

Done

>> Which makes me wonder if you've activated the Gimbal and connected it to the App <<

YES, I activated the Gimbal by connecting it to the App.

>> You'll need to turn off wifi on the phone. Using BT connect to the raveneye. Or are you complaining about the second screen shot? That's just telling you the BT Raveneye connection is in charge. <<

I am NOT complaining about the second screenshot - I followed the instructions as in the 2nd screenshot. When I try to change the settings (for example, switch from Video or Photo), the App is complaining about "Please connect the dedicated cable to RSS port for this feature" ( If I connect the USB-C cable from Z9 directly to the RSS Camera control port (USB-C) of RavenEye, I am not getting that message.).. Also turned off the Bluetooth and connected RavenEye with WIFI.

>> In your photo you've got the camera USB C plugged into the Gimbal. But your post seems to indicate you don't want that?<<

I followed the instructions from 1:11 Minutes to connect the Gimbal with the Camera

https://youtu.be/s0bNfpN-0Is?t=71

Thanks again for your wisdom and details

-- hide signature --

Camera Specialization: Nikon Z9, Sony A1, D850, D5, D810, D800E, Sony Nex-7, Nikon D4S
Lenses: Nikon NIKKOR Z 70-200mm f/2.8 VR S,
Nikon NIKKOR Z 24-70mm f/2.8 S, Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II, 24-70mm f/2.8, 14mm F2.8, 150-600MM, Macro Lenses

skmadapatu's gear list:skmadapatu's gear list
Nikon D850 Nikon Z9 Sony Alpha NEX-7 Nikon D800E Nikon D810 +23 more
Joel SG Regular Member • Posts: 155

Same setup with z9 fw 2.1 and rs 3 pro combo.

Working fine. Cable connection as follows

usb c to usb c - rss port on gimbal to usb c port on z9

usb c to usb c - power/communication port on raven eye (not the one beside hdmi) to gimbal 3rd port (the one with WiFi logo)

make sure all cables are secure, connect phone WiFi to raven eye WiFi, open ronin app, see if you can see video feed in ronin app, if you can the raven eye’s led will be green.

check if gimbal received video feed by sliding right on the oled screen on gimbal, should see the feed if you see no signal input, try unplugging and replugging the communication cable btw raveneye and gimbal.

TED77
TED77 Forum Member • Posts: 96

Just got the RS3 Pro Combo yesterday. I'm unable to get a Bluetooth connection for wireless operation.

Is anyone else has been able to get the Bluetooth pairing working or is it just me?

TED77's gear list:TED77's gear list
Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +2 more
Andre Yew Senior Member • Posts: 1,520

Bluetooth connectivity with the RS3 only works for Sony and Canon.

TED77

And Blackmagic I see is also supported for Bluetooth. Which makes no logical sense.

I have asked DJI about this and they blame the limitations of the Z cameras!

This logic is of course flawed as all Nikon Z cameras already support Bluetooth Shutter Control which can be verified by using the SnapBridge app via Bluetooth to trigger the shutter. It WORKS...

This is most disappointing as not being able to use a feature that is heavily marketed as a key selling point for buying this gimbal and upgrading from the RS2 Pro is lame.

Nikon Z9 Nikon AF-S Nikkor 400mm f/2.8D ED-IF II Nikon AF Micro-Nikkor 200mm f/4D ED-IF Nikon AF-S Teleconverter TC-14E II Nikon Z 24-70mm F2.8 +2 more
Joel SG Regular Member • Posts: 155

Such partnership usually goes both ways,  if Nikon is more proactive things should move faster also. Let’s hope it doesn’t just die there, but don’t hold your breath for it. Nikon should take cue from Sony to have a bigger third party eco system support, it is also part of the reason why a customer would purchase it system over another.

side note. Dji raveneye only transmit video signal, currently there is no audio being transmitted to the ronin app.

TED77 wrote:

And Blackmagic I see is also supported for Bluetooth. Which makes no logical sense.

I have asked DJI about this and they blame the limitations of the Z cameras!

This logic is of course flawed as all Nikon Z cameras already support Bluetooth Shutter Control which can be verified by using the SnapBridge app via Bluetooth to trigger the shutter. It WORKS...

This is most disappointing as not being able to use a feature that is heavily marketed as a key selling point for buying this gimbal and upgrading from the RS2 Pro is lame.

TED77

Joel SG wrote:

Such partnership usually goes both ways, if Nikon is more proactive things should move faster also. Let’s hope it doesn’t just die there, but don’t hold your breath for it. Nikon should take cue from Sony to have a bigger third party eco system support, it is also part of the reason why a customer would purchase it system over another.

side note. Dji raveneye only transmit video signal, currently there is no audio being transmitted to the ronin app.

If Nikon will not release a public API then DJI could reverse engineer a hack to bypass the Bluetooth encryption.

Surely, not all the other Bluetooth-supported camera models listed for the RS3 Pro received full API support from their manufacturer for DJI to get them working.

If that were so, then why aren't all Sony and Canon models fully Bluetooth-supported that have this hardware feature? I see there are many Sony and Canon cameras that have Bluetooth hardware which is not supported by DJI. This would indicate that even these manufacturers did not 'give' their permission with a public API.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads