Best auto alignment software for photo stacking.

Started 4 months ago | Discussions
Invanovich22 Regular Member • Posts: 272
Best auto alignment software for photo stacking.

I want to make photo stacking from images taken without tripod and some of them have little different perspective because camera moved a bit. I tried Photoshop, but its alignment cannot match images precisely one over another still perspective is not perfect.
I know i cam match if i use free transform > distort and do it myself, but i need software that can do it automatically.

TonyGN10 Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Re: Best auto alignment software for photo stacking.
  1. Invanovich22 wrote:

I want to make photo stacking from images taken without tripod and some of them have little different perspective because camera moved a bit. I tried Photoshop, but its alignment cannot match images precisely one over another still perspective is not perfect.
I know i cam match if i use free transform > distort and do it myself, but i need software that can do it automatically.

Try Affinity Photo - I found it’s auto-alignment for stacking works very well - if you’re making hand held shots, it helps if your camera has IBIS!

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +6 more
Eh Photographer Forum Member • Posts: 87

Check out Helicon Focus...

OP Invanovich22 Regular Member • Posts: 272

Eh Photographer wrote:

Tried it cannot handle alignment.

Here are the images if someone wants to try.

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,024

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

I processed both raw images in PhotoLab using my standard preset, then used Affinity to stitch them. This is the result without cropping:

Stitched in Affinity, using panorama stacking. You can crop it as needed.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
Abbott Schindler Senior Member • Posts: 2,961

You may need to manually adjust the alignment.

I use Affinity Photo, Helicon Focus and ZereneStacker. Of the three, I find Affinity to be very good generally, Zerene to produce the best results (my eye; yours may vary), and Helicon is somewhere in between while having the most user friendly camera control GUI of the lot. In your case, give Affinity a try.

Abbott Schindler wrote:

I use Affinity Photo, Helicon Focus and ZereneStacker. Of the three, I find Affinity to be very good generally, Zerene to produce the best results (my eye; yours may vary), and Helicon is somewhere in between while having the most user friendly camera control GUI of the lot. In your case, give Affinity a try.

Could you try Zerene and Helicon i tried both and result was awful was motion blur on the sides, and ghosting in center, maybe i messed up some setting, was my first time using this.
When i set Helicon Radius to 50 it does slightly better, but still sides are messed up.

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

I processed both raw images in PhotoLab using my standard preset, then used Affinity to stitch them. This is the result without cropping:

I think you used a panorama, however what i needed is focus stacking, in this case even Affinity does not provide satisfactory alignment.

File > New Stack, Automatically Align Images - Perspective

Digital Nigel Forum Pro • Posts: 17,024

Invanovich22 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

I think you used a panorama, however what i needed is focus stacking, in this case even Affinity does not provide satisfactory alignment.

I guess you need properly aligned images, shot on a tripod, for focus stacking.

Digital Nigel's gear list:Digital Nigel's gear list
Panasonic FZ1000 Canon PowerShot G7 X Nikon Coolpix P900 Panasonic ZS100 Sony RX10 III +22 more
TonyGN10 Contributing Member • Posts: 600
Re: these two images seem to be way out of alignment!

Invanovich22 wrote:

Abbott Schindler wrote:

Could you try Zerene and Helicon i tried both and result was awful was motion blur on the sides, and ghosting in center, maybe i messed up some setting, was my first time using this.
When i set Helicon Radius to 50 it does slightly better, but still sides are messed up.

I've had great results using focus merge in Affinity Photo. So I was curious and tried aligning these two images in Affinity Photo using focus merge - very poor result. Then I tried using auto-align with stacking - again very poor result.

So in Affinity, I just overlaid both images, one on top of the other and reduced the opacity on one layer to 50%. I have included a screen grab showing just how far apart the two images are!

If you manually align one area of the image, it's way out elsewhere in the image and vice versa. I think you must have significantly shifted your camera position to get such a difference in perspective between the two images.

Sorry, I'm no expert but I can't see any software using auto alignment which could successfully align these two images!!

TonyGN10's gear list:TonyGN10's gear list
Fujifilm X-T4 Fujifilm XF 55-200mm F3.5-4.8 R LM OIS Samyang 12mm F2.0 NCS CS Fujifilm XF 23mm F2 R WR Fujifilm XF 33mm F1.4 R LM WR +6 more
Frankie J Regular Member • Posts: 113

Invanovich22 wrote:

No, you need a tripod!

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,952

Invanovich22 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

So, you want a focus stacking software. But why do you need focus stacking software for  landscapes?

Please, educate me.

-- hide signature --

If you want to be equal, you have to be better...

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more

s_grins wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

So, you want a focus stacking software. But why do you need focus stacking software for landscapes?

Please, educate me.

Please see three images in beginning of this article.

TonyGN10 wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Abbott Schindler wrote:

I've had great results using focus merge in Affinity Photo. So I was curious and tried aligning these two images in Affinity Photo using focus merge - very poor result. Then I tried using auto-align with stacking - again very poor result.

So in Affinity, I just overlaid both images, one on top of the other and reduced the opacity on one layer to 50%. I have included a screen grab showing just how far apart the two images are!

If you manually align one area of the image, it's way out elsewhere in the image and vice versa. I think you must have significantly shifted your camera position to get such a difference in perspective between the two images.

Sorry, I'm no expert but I can't see any software using auto alignment which could successfully align these two images!!

Yes even me trying manually in photoshop i could not make exact match, too much movement indeed. Thanks for verifying.

Night Pixel
Night Pixel Contributing Member • Posts: 650
Avoid this problem: Tripod

No software can overcome extreme out-of-alignment.

This landscape shooter shows how to do it right.

-- hide signature --

**** REDACTED ****

Night Pixel's gear list:Night Pixel's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,572

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

I want to make photo stacking from images taken without tripod

I processed both raw images in PhotoLab using my standard preset, then used Affinity to stitch them.

The goal was to stack them, not stitch them.

Affinity Photo couldn't align them precisely for me, and neither could Photoshop. I doubt that any typical stacking tool can do it precisely. Look at the warping and displacement that Photoshop automatically applied when attempting it:

Alignment algorithms are intended to handle slight variations in the stack due to minor camera movements, not gross ones like this example.

sybersitizen wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

I processed both raw images in PhotoLab using my standard preset, then used Affinity to stitch them.

Affinity Photo couldn't align them precisely for me, and neither could Photoshop. I doubt that any typical stacking tool can do it precisely. Look at the warping and displacement that Photoshop automatically applied when attempting it:

Alignment algorithms are intended to handle slight variations in the stack due to minor camera movements, not gross ones like this example.

Found i2k Align, but it worth thousand and there's no demo version available.

Night Pixel
Night Pixel Contributing Member • Posts: 650

Invanovich22 wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

i2K Align is used in medical and academic settings.

Given the list of academic citations and their user base, this is overkill for the average photographer. This is especially true when good capture technique is used then $50 Affinity Photo can do the job very well. A good tripod costs way less!

-- hide signature --

**** REDACTED ****

Night Pixel's gear list:Night Pixel's gear list
Sony RX10 IV Fujifilm X100V Fujifilm X-T3 Fujifilm XF 80mm F2.8 Macro Fujifilm X-Pro1 +2 more
sybersitizen Forum Pro • Posts: 23,572

Invanovich22 wrote:

sybersitizen wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

It's not a typical stacking tool - and I wouldn't pay the price - but you can request a demo:

mat536 Junior Member • Posts: 33

there is the 79$ version for purchase, called - DualAlign's i2K Quickage™ Pro

https://www.dualalign.com/photographic/panorama-software-overview.php

fyi

s_grins
s_grins Forum Pro • Posts: 13,952

Invanovich22 wrote:

s_grins wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Digital Nigel wrote:

Invanovich22 wrote:

Eh Photographer wrote:

So, you want a focus stacking software. But why do you need focus stacking software for landscapes?

Please, educate me.

Please see three images in beginning of this article.

Well, I've looked into this article.

For such a kind of "focus stacking" you do not need a special software, alignment, and the rest of photo science.

What you need is 2 shots taken one after another. One with focus on foreground, another with focus at background. Having these 2 shots you can create a combined photo of your landscape by using well known layers technic plus a little of touch up.

Normally, photographers use focus stacking for macro shots with razor thin DOF

s_grins's gear list:s_grins's gear list
Panasonic G85 Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Sigma 30mm F2.8 EX DN Sigma 60mm F2.8 DN Art Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +3 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads