Custom printer profile — who makes them

Started 5 months ago | Discussions
Alexey Senior Member • Posts: 1,272
Custom printer profile — who makes them

Hi.  I am looking to create custom profiles for several papers for my printer.  Can someone recommend a place that creates reliable and relatively affordable profiles based on my prints?  Perhaps someone gere can offer such service for a reasonable fee?  Thanks so much in advance!

Dave_Good Senior Member • Posts: 1,100
Re: Custom printer profile — who makes them

There are several services out there that will have you print a page or two of their targets then, after you mail them to them will scan them and e-mail you the profile. I have only used and can recommend the Digital Dog (Andrew Rodney). Chromix's ColorValet is well regarded as well.

Dave_Good's gear list:Dave_Good's gear list
Sony a7 II Sony a7R II Tokina 20mm F2 FE MF Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar Sony FE 24-105mm F4 +3 more
kciuk aka Ken60 Senior Member • Posts: 1,474

Some professional paper supplier often offer this service to customers buying paper from them here in the UK. I have several Custom Profiles and have not paid for a single one !

Ask how many patches they will use and what they use to make it if you can.

Box Brownie Veteran Member • Posts: 4,215

kciuk aka Ken60 wrote:

Some professional paper supplier often offer this service to customers buying paper from them here in the UK. I have several Custom Profiles and have not paid for a single one !

Ask how many patches they will use and what they use to make it if you can.

Ditto

The one supplier to date, the Custom Profile service was available once you ordered some of the papers.  Furthermore, they supply the A4 sheets to print their test targets on i.e. you don't have to use any of the purchased sheets!

-- hide signature --
NAwlins Contrarian Veteran Member • Posts: 7,611
An answer is ...

I am looking to create custom profiles for several papers for my printer. Can someone recommend a place that creates reliable and relatively affordable profiles based on my prints? Perhaps someone gere can offer such service for a reasonable fee?

Profiles by Rick (http://profilesbyrick.com/). Your profile says you're in the U.S., and this is a U.S.-based service. He made two profiles for me, and their quality seems good. The cost is $35 per profile, which is definitely on the more "reasonable fee" part of the spectrum (some of the other suggestions are no doubt excellent, but considerably more expensive).

NAwlins Contrarian's gear list:NAwlins Contrarian's gear list
Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
OP Alexey Senior Member • Posts: 1,272

Thanks so much for the info.  I wonder if any US paper retailers do custom profiles.

Petruska Veteran Member • Posts: 9,273
Buy your own profiling device.........

You can usually get a used Xrite Colormunki Photo on Ebay in the $100 - 150 range.  If you have a few custom profiles made by someone that cost most likely will cover the CM Photo purchase price.

If I remember correctly you have an Epson 4800, 4880, P600 and are about to get a P5000.  Plus I believe that you were using various inks in the printers.  Looks like you need your own profiling hardware.  The CM is extremely easy to use.

Also look for the Colormunki Design, it's the same as the Photo.

Bob P.

Re: Buy your own profiling device.........

Can’t believe you remember my printers!  :).  Thanks so much for amazing advice as always!

Yes, i have these (although instead of 4800, i have a 7800 (the best printer ever).  My p800 started giving me a weird magenta cast with badly expired K3 inks.  And I can’t figure out which ink is the issue.  I can almost take care of it by dialing down magenta in the settings, but not completely.  
Thanks so much for the device suggestion!  I’ll look into it.  Definitely makes sense to spend this kind of money if I am experimenting with inks.

And to everyone who commented on this thread so far, thanks so much!  Some really helpful advice and links.

Wow, with a fleet of printers including LFP sizes surely as suggested above you could benefit from creating your own bespoke profiles.

With the money spent on the printers a print profiles device should I would think be a good investment!

-- hide signature --

Box Brownie wrote:

Wow, with a fleet of printers including LFP sizes surely as suggested above you could benefit from creating your own bespoke profiles.

With the money spent on the printers a print profiles device should I would think be a good investment!

The most ironic thing is that several years ago I bought the device for creating profiles.  But in so many years of refills and mixing all kinds of inks, I never felt like I had a need for a custom profile.  The colors were always nearly spot on.  So, I put it somewhere far far away into storage.  Now, when I finally need it, it is lost somewhere in the clutter of countless boxes of inks and papers, so that I have to pay to order custom profiles.

Alexey wrote:

Box Brownie wrote:

The most ironic thing is that several years ago I bought the device for creating profiles. But in so many years of refills and mixing all kinds of inks, I never felt like I had a need for a custom profile. The colors were always nearly spot on. So, I put it somewhere far far away into storage. Now, when I finally need it, it is lost somewhere in the clutter of countless boxes of inks and papers, so that I have to pay to order custom profiles.

I too am a packrat and more than once over the decades I have bought a replacement to then later find (whatever the item was) "it" again!

In regard to reading what you say above, I would surmise based on my limited understanding of paper profiling matters, that your need is an 'ideal candidate' to be profiling your "homebrew inks" with your papers of choice.

Looking for the deeply squirrelled away bit of kit merely delays the inevitable

-- hide signature --

You can usually get a used Xrite Colormunki Photo on Ebay in the $100 - 150 range. If you have a few custom profiles made by someone that cost most likely will cover the CM Photo purchase price.

Thanks so much for the device suggestion! I’ll look into it. Definitely makes sense to spend this kind of money if I am experimenting with inks.

Insofar as you're willing to learn a little (it's not too difficult) and take the time to make your own profiles, then I very much agree with Bob (Petruska) that buying a used ColorMunki Photo* and using that with the latest X-Rite i1Studio software (IIRC version 1.5.1 for Windows or version 1.6 for Mac OS) or possibly the new Calibrite software is a very good way to get quite decent custom printing profiles without spending much money. I did this myself a couple of years ago (after renting the newer-version i1Studio, see e.g. https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/x-rite-i1studio-spectrophotometer). I've been quite happy with my purchase and the printing profiles it builds. It does not take too much use for buying a used ColorMunki Photo to be cheaper than either having someone else make custom profiles, or renting a device on occasion as needed. So unless you really need very high-level profiles and/or want to do something exotic with weird patch sets, I second this suggestion.

*Not a ColorMunki Display or a ColorMunki Smile.

Nikon Coolpix S30 Canon PowerShot S120 Sony Alpha DSLR-A580 Tamron SP AF 90mm F/2.8 Di Macro Tamron SP 70-300mm F/4-5.6 Di USD +5 more
Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,058

Who doesn't have seven hammers; five hacksaws; 4 or 5 complete sets of screwdrivers or socket wrenches; three pruning shears in their kit.  Been there.  Still do that.

Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,058

Plus you learn in the process and are not reluctant to create specialized profiles.  Great suggestions.

Thanks so much for all the amazing replies!  You, guys (and gals) are the best!  I am now in the market to buy another calibrator.

technoid Senior Member • Posts: 2,355

NAwlins Contrarian wrote:

Insofar as you're willing to learn a little (it's not too difficult) and take the time to make your own profiles, then I very much agree with Bob (Petruska) that buying a used ColorMunki Photo* and using that with the latest X-Rite i1Studio software (IIRC version 1.5.1 for Windows or version 1.6 for Mac OS) or possibly the new Calibrite software is a very good way to get quite decent custom printing profiles without spending much money. I did this myself a couple of years ago (after renting the newer-version i1Studio, see e.g. https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/x-rite-i1studio-spectrophotometer). I've been quite happy with my purchase and the printing profiles it builds. It does not take too much use for buying a used ColorMunki Photo to be cheaper than either having someone else make custom profiles, or renting a device on occasion as needed. So unless you really need very high-level profiles and/or want to do something exotic with weird patch sets, I second this suggestion.

*Not a ColorMunki Display or a ColorMunki Smile.

I strongly recommend this approach. It makes it a lot easier to test and adjust for  different printer settings, even for the same paper. I've seen quite a bit of difference in color accuracy just changing settings like bi-directional or different DPI resolutions and so create different profiles for these modes. And you don''t have the turnaround time of outsourced custom profiles.

SOLUTION -- THANKS SO MUCH TO ALL

Thank you so much to all who responded to this thread. I ended up buying a used ColorMunki Photo device and it has exceeded my expectations by far. I had my doubts, given that it's an older device.  But it is super fast and easy to use. And the resulting image with custom profile came out perfect after the first try. And before profiling, color was way off. I have a feeling that I may even have mixed up Light magenta and vibrant magentas. But whatever it was, after creating a custom profile, everything is spot on.

If I knew custom profiles were that easy, I would have been using them long ago.  The color from my printers was always good enough, but I did not realize that it could be just spot on.

Thanks so so much to all who helped. I wouldn't have gone this way and probably would still be looking for a solution without reading all the helpful comments in this thread. Each comment was helpful in its own way. Thanks!

Good to get a report back

Thank you so much to all who responded to this thread. I ended up buying a used ColorMunki Photo device and it has exceeded my expectations by far. I had my doubts, given that it's an older device. But it is super fast and easy to use. And the resulting image with custom profile came out perfect after the first try. And before profiling, color was way off. I have a feeling that I may even have mixed up Light magenta and vibrant magentas. But whatever it was, after creating a custom profile, everything is spot on.

If I knew custom profiles were that easy, I would have been using them long ago. The color from my printers was always good enough, but I did not realize that it could be just spot on.

Thanks so so much to all who helped. I wouldn't have gone this way and probably would still be looking for a solution without reading all the helpful comments in this thread. Each comment was helpful in its own way. Thanks!

It's always good to get a report back on whether / how the proposed actions did or did not solve the problem.

A special shout-out should go to (Bob) Petruska, who first suggested this to you (at https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/66302310), instead of having someone else build you custom profiles.

Re: Good to get a report back

Indeed.  A very special thank you to Bob (Petruska) who not only gave the suggestion, but was attentive enough to even remember my printers!

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads