Alternative to the Nikon 6mm fisheye?

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
ovrebekk
ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,872
Alternative to the Nikon 6mm fisheye?

Does anyone know of an alternative to the legendary 6mm fisheye, that can do a circular fisheye image with > 200 degrees, effectively allowing it to shoot behind itself?

Ideally something a bit less pricey and massive

Fast aperture is not a requirement, it just has to be adaptable to a NIkon Z camera, and hopefully cover the full FX sensor.

I like do to a sort of quasi 360 degree panorama by taking a circular fisheye and shooting it straight upwards, but with a normal fisheye "only" going to 180 degrees you get very little of the ground along the edges.

Michael Benveniste
Michael Benveniste Veteran Member • Posts: 6,210
Re: Alternative to the Nikon 6mm fisheye?

https://www.lensrentals.com/buy/c-4-precision-optics-4.9mm-f3.5-hyper-fisheye-for-sony-e

$39,000 and only in Sony Mount. But 270 degree coverage rather than merely 220 🤭

This might work on Nikon 1 with an adapter:

https://meikeglobal.com/products/meike-3-5mm-f-2-8-ultra-wide-angle-manual-fixed-lens-for-mft-micro-four-thirds-panasonic-olympus-mirrorless-camera-fast-delivery?_pos=8&_sid=df18a90e7&_ss=r

-- hide signature --

Light travels at 2.13085531 × 10^14 smoots per fortnight. Catch some today!

Michael Benveniste's gear list:Michael Benveniste's gear list
Nikon Coolpix 995 Nikon D800 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon D7200 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 +46 more
ovrebekk
OP ovrebekk Veteran Member • Posts: 4,872

Michael Benveniste wrote:

https://www.lensrentals.com/buy/c-4-precision-optics-4.9mm-f3.5-hyper-fisheye-for-sony-e

$39,000 and only in Sony Mount. But 270 degree coverage rather than merely 220 🤭

This might work on Nikon 1 with an adapter:

https://meikeglobal.com/products/meike-3-5mm-f-2-8-ultra-wide-angle-manual-fixed-lens-for-mft-micro-four-thirds-panasonic-olympus-mirrorless-camera-fast-delivery?_pos=8&_sid=df18a90e7&_ss=r

My annual photo budget is around $4000, so this is still a bit over the top

Thanks for the link though, I had no idea you could get a 270 degree fisheye!

Rudi P Regular Member • Posts: 321

I have the Laowa 4mm f/2.8 Nikon Z mount, 210° view. It is apsc, but I use it also on my Z7 in crop mode. Here a shot with this tiny lens on my zfc.

ovrebekk

Rudi P wrote:

I have the Laowa 4mm f/2.8 Nikon Z mount, 210° view. It is apsc, but I use it also on my Z7 in crop mode. Here a shot with this tiny lens on my zfc.

Thanks a lot for the advice, and the included sample. This looks a lot better than my current 8-15mm fisheye zoom, which only covers about 180 degrees!

It seems to be pretty sharp towards the edges also?

A shame it is a DX crop though, I need as many pixels as I can get, since you end up discarding most of them anyway....

Rudi P Regular Member • Posts: 321

Yes, it is pretty sharp across the entire frame. For now, this is the only 210° option in Nikon Z mount so I didn’t bother it’s apsc only. Used on a high mp body like the z7 there are enough pixels left in dx mode for me.

GarysInSoCal
GarysInSoCal Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
1/3 the price, 1/3 the weight, consider this!

Big fan of the Nikon 10.5 Fisheye. Granted... it's APS-C... but it's majorly compact and easy to pickup at around $500... and 100% Nikon compatible. I'm a BIG fan of it...

Britney checkin the cookbook... shot at the Select Models Junglehouse Photoshoot with the Nikon 10.5 Fisheye.

GarysInSoCal's gear list:GarysInSoCal's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +7 more
ovrebekk
Re: 1/3 the price, 1/3 the weight, consider this!

GarysInSoCal wrote:

Big fan of the Nikon 10.5 Fisheye. Granted... it's APS-C... but it's majorly compact and easy to pickup at around $500... and 100% Nikon compatible. I'm a BIG fan of it...

Nice sample shot Gary!

I got the 10.5 fisheye already, but it doesn't give you the full image circle, nor does it provide more than about 180 degrees.

I actually took a hack saw to mine to remove the lens hood, so that I could use it on full frame cameras

GarysInSoCal
GarysInSoCal Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Re: 1/3 the price, 1/3 the weight, consider this!

ovrebekk wrote:

GarysInSoCal wrote:

I actually took a hack saw to mine to remove the lens hood,so that I could use it on full frame cameras

I was considering doing it also.  The 'Angry Photographer' dude on YouTube did that and he's getting amazing results.

Here's Jessa Cygan at the Party Pants photoshoot... downtown LA... 'fisheye baby'!

GarysInSoCal's gear list:GarysInSoCal's gear list
Nikon D810 Nikon D500 Nikon AF DX Fisheye-Nikkor 10.5mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 12-24mm f/4G ED-IF Nikon AF-S Nikkor 24-120mm F4G ED VR +7 more
NFE Regular Member • Posts: 162

This won't help, but there actually was a non-AI 6mm f/5.6 fisheye with a 220-degree view. Only 209 were made and it's extremely rare. Diameter was 9 cm and and weight 440g.  Cost is probably out of this world.

NFE's gear list:NFE's gear list
Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M5 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +33 more
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,493

NFE wrote:

This won't help, but there actually was a non-AI 6mm f/5.6 fisheye with a 220-degree view. Only 209 were made and it's extremely rare. Diameter was 9 cm and and weight 440g. Cost is probably out of this world.

That lens also requires a body with mechanical mirror lockup, so it's a nogo on any digital body.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +73 more
ovrebekk

fpapp wrote:

NFE wrote:

This won't help, but there actually was a non-AI 6mm f/5.6 fisheye with a 220-degree view. Only 209 were made and it's extremely rare. Diameter was 9 cm and and weight 440g. Cost is probably out of this world.

That lens also requires a body with mechanical mirror lockup, so it's a nogo on any digital body.

Would that be the same on a Z series mirrorless camera?

ovrebekk wrote:

fpapp wrote:

NFE wrote:

Absolutely!  The imaginary mirror will be shattered, utterly ruining the camera.

Anyway, most of the better Nikon DSLRs actually do have mechanical mirror lockup.  The problem is that the lens is non-AI and would damage the camera unless it's a Df.  Yes, it should be possible to use it on a Df.

Nikon D500 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 Olympus E-M5 III Nikon AF-S Nikkor 300mm f/4D ED-IF +33 more
fpapp
fpapp Senior Member • Posts: 1,493

NFE wrote:

ovrebekk wrote:

fpapp wrote:

NFE wrote:

It might actually work with a FTZ adapter since there wouldn't be a mirror in the way.

Absolutely! The imaginary mirror will be shattered, utterly ruining the camera.

Anyway, most of the better Nikon DSLRs actually do have mechanical mirror lockup. The problem is that the lens is non-AI and would damage the camera unless it's a Df. Yes, it should be possible to use it on a Df.

There are no Nikon DSLR's (and the F6) which have a mechanical mirror lockup, they have an electronic mirror lockup. If you use the MLU setting on a DSLR, the mirror comes down after taking the picture. Because the back of this lens protrudes into the mirror box, trying to mount and use this lens would damage the camera!

You need a camera with an actual mechanical (non electronic) mirror lockup lever such as the F, F2, F3, F4, F5.

fpapp's gear list:fpapp's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P340 Nikon Coolpix A1000 Nikon D610 Nikon D500 Nikon D5600 +73 more

fpapp wrote:

NFE wrote:

ovrebekk wrote:

fpapp wrote:

NFE wrote:

It might actually work with a FTZ adapter since there wouldn't be a mirror in the way.

Absolutely! The imaginary mirror will be shattered, utterly ruining the camera.

Anyway, most of the better Nikon DSLRs actually do have mechanical mirror lockup. The problem is that the lens is non-AI and would damage the camera unless it's a Df. Yes, it should be possible to use it on a Df.

There are no Nikon DSLR's (and the F6) which have a mechanical mirror lockup, they have an electronic mirror lockup. If you use the MLU setting on a DSLR, the mirror comes down after taking the picture. Because the back of this lens protrudes into the mirror box, trying to mount and use this lens would damage the camera!

You need a camera with an actual mechanical (non electronic) mirror lockup lever such as the F, F2, F3, F4, F5.

Now I get your point about mechanical vs. electronic.  Silly me, I had forgotten about the mirror coming back down again.  That's something I should have remembered since I've used that feature enough.  And yes, I've also used the F3 with mechanical lockup though that was many years ago.

On the other hand, it should be possible in principle to put the camera into live view, attach the lens, use it, then remove the lens before leaving live view. That would be risky and I wouldn't recommend it.

I am aware of the rear projections and what they would do if the mirror did come down when the lens is in place.

Dr Glyco Junior Member • Posts: 32

On the other hand, it is very straightforward to use the old mirror-lockup lenses with the Z cameras and FTZs. I enjoy using Nikkor 7.5mm f/5.6 (180 degrees) on my Z6. The back element stays away from the sensor (and in this case the lens is in a fixed position since there is no focusing helicoid).

I also would be very interested in a >180 degree fisheye that is not too expensive.

Dr Glyco's gear list:Dr Glyco's gear list
Nikon Coolpix A Fujifilm FinePix S2 Pro Kodak DCS460 Kodak DCS660 Nikon D80 +10 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads