Any new affordable APS-C DSLRs on the horizon?

Started Jul 4, 2022 | Questions
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 2,133
Re: Any new affordable APS-C DSLRs on the horizon?

Sjak wrote:

xmeda wrote:

Fuji had no own mount, but used Fmount and has adaptors.

To my best knowledge, there's no Fuji-endorsed F-X-adaper.

They have none own, but there are plenty of AF adaptors for multiple mounts for X mount. That is what I mean

-- hide signature --

http://pentax.xf.cz/ - Personal page about my favourite system.

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Pentax X-5 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +55 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 8,375

zakaria wrote:

K70 replacement should be on the horizon. I think it is the right time whereas the k3iii now is stable after one year in the market .

You're assuming they have some kind of rational plan.  I don't think that's a given.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Lahmajunior
Lahmajunior Contributing Member • Posts: 552

xmeda wrote:

While "old" pentaxians will probably follow with K3III/K1, keep all lenses and later switch to some hi-end mirrorless Pentax when it will be available.

That's where I'm at. But I've since added a Fuji X-Pro 3 to my kit, and have always had an X100 series in my bag.

One of the best combos I've worked with was a Fujifilm X100F and Pentax KP. I still use my KP regularly for nighttime shooting.

Lahmajunior's gear list:Lahmajunior's gear list
Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X100V Pentax KP Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
RBIV
RBIV Senior Member • Posts: 1,609

Souciantmag wrote:

xmeda wrote:

While "old" pentaxians will probably follow with K3III/K1, keep all lenses and later switch to some hi-end mirrorless Pentax when it will be available.

That's where I'm at. But I've since added a Fuji X-Pro 3 to my kit, and have always had an X100 series in my bag.

One of the best combos I've worked with was a Fujifilm X100F and Pentax KP. I still use my KP regularly for nighttime shooting.

I agree.  I use the KP quite a bit, but also find the Nikon Zfc with the excellent kit 16-50 fits in the pocket of my "fall and winter" jacket so it's getting used quite a bit as well.

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Lahmajunior

RBIV wrote:

I agree. I use the KP quite a bit, but also find the Nikon Zfc with the excellent kit 16-50 fits in the pocket of my "fall and winter" jacket so it's getting used quite a bit as well.

The Zfc is a great camera. That's Nikon's equivalent of a mirrorless K1000, and exactly the sort of body Pentax could have rolled out in their sleep.

Fujifilm XF10 Fujifilm X100V Pentax KP Fujifilm X-Pro3 Fujifilm XF 35mm F1.4 R +8 more
Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,912

Nikon had a decent refurb unit with the 28mm.  Almost .....

Actually, hopes Pentax upgrades the full frame camera.

xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 2,133

Souciantmag wrote:

RBIV wrote:

I agree. I use the KP quite a bit, but also find the Nikon Zfc with the excellent kit 16-50 fits in the pocket of my "fall and winter" jacket so it's getting used quite a bit as well.

The Zfc is a great camera. That's Nikon's equivalent of a mirrorless K1000, and exactly the sort of body Pentax could have rolled out in their sleep.

Z50, ZFC and Z30 have all one HUGE fail. Missing IBIS.
I consider IBIS to be standard since 2006 and cameras without IBIS deserve zero interest .)

-- hide signature --

http://pentax.xf.cz/ - Personal page about my favourite system.

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Pentax X-5 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +55 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 8,375

Souciantmag wrote:

RBIV wrote:

Surprising that they haven't yet then, because it's obvious they've been sleeping for a while.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
RBIV

xmeda wrote:

Souciantmag wrote:

RBIV wrote:

I consider IBIS to be standard since 2006 and cameras without IBIS deserve zero interest .)

It's a HUGE fail for you, for your use case.  But not for mine.

For my use case, which is the Zfc with the 16-50 zoom, the stabilization is in the zoom.  It seems to work as well as my KP with IBIS and lenses from 15 to 70mm which is what I use for documentary photography.

Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z5 Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited +4 more
Lahmajunior

xmeda wrote:

I hear you. I'm perfectly happy without IBIS. I rarely miss shots with my X-Pro 3.

I always shoot handheld, too. No tripods. It's just what you're comfortable with.

hikerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,513

Souciantmag wrote:

xmeda wrote:

I hear you. I'm perfectly happy without IBIS. I rarely miss shots with my X-Pro 3.

I always shoot handheld, too. No tripods. It's just what you're comfortable with.

There seems to exist a wide range of shooting situations where many will rarely miss shots. Those without IBIS take this to indicate they don’t need it. Those that have it assume it was because of the IBIS.

BryantP Regular Member • Posts: 431

xmeda wrote:

Souciantmag wrote:

RBIV wrote:

While I generally agree with the above, IBIS is one of the reasons I prefer Pentax cameras. That said, I got along "ok" without it with the Nikon D700 I used to have and now with a D750 that I traded it in for in January,

-- hide signature --

Bryant P.
Indianapolis, Indiana USA

BryantP's gear list:BryantP's gear list
Pentax *ist DS Pentax K-5 Nikon D750 Pentax KP Pentax K-3 Mark III +9 more
Lahmajunior

kypfer wrote:

Pentax have declared their ongoing commitment to the DSLR concept, complete with optical viewfinder, so I feel there's very little chance of any dreams of a mirrorless body with EVF and full-function adaptor to support K-mount lenses ever becoming a reality

As I've written here before, when it comes to cameras, Ricoh has put more effort into its own compact cameras - the GR series and the Theta - and continues to produce new iterations of its rebranded Pentax waterproof compacts.

It surely has its reasons, and clearly has not gotten out of the camera business. But regardless of its commitment to DSLRs, Pentax, as a brand, is just not a priority for cameras. There've been more new Pentax lenses in recent years than new bodies.

I think the GR and Theta are great, for what they're intended, and am glad Ricoh is behind them. But, the way things are going, my KP will likely be my last Pentax body. I love my K-mount lenses, so I'm biased towards the brand, and I still shoot an ME.

However, I just sprang for a K-to-Fuji X adapter and got really good results, so there is that. Otherwise, until K-1IIs show up on eBay for 500 bucks, I'm not forking out for any more Pentax bodies. I'd like to be surprised, but Ricoh is so far discouraging.

hikerdoc Veteran Member • Posts: 3,513

Souciantmag wrote:

kypfer wrote:

As I've written here before, when it comes to cameras, Ricoh has put more effort into its own compact cameras - the GR series and the Theta - and continues to produce new iterations of its rebranded Pentax waterproof compacts.

It surely has its reasons, and clearly has not gotten out of the camera business. But regardless of its commitment to DSLRs, Pentax, as a brand, is just not a priority for cameras. There've been more new Pentax lenses in recent years than new bodies.

…..

I have read through or listened to the interviews with leaders at Sigma, Ricoh Imaging, and former Nikon executive. The Nikon alumnus more or less stated his belief that DSLR had reached its pinnacle and it was time to move on. Sigma as a private firm has never had to face the question of their camera’s viability as long as users of other systems keep buying their lenses. Perhaps Ricoh, while not straying from their stated principles of photography and belief in DSLR, has come to the same conclusion as the Nikon guy. The Pentax interview spoke of difficulties, but gave little vision and no hints. While not leaving the market they too may feel there are diminishing returns in developing new bodies until/unless they truly have marketable advances to incorporate. The K3-III does have improved AF and OVF, but it may not have moved the needle as much as anticipated (or conversely the market moved more than anticipated).

ivarbg
ivarbg Regular Member • Posts: 102

No advertising

No PR

No world wide presence in the stores

No new cameras at affordable price

No hope for the Pentax future...

ivarbg's gear list:ivarbg's gear list
Pentax K10D Pentax K-5 II
Lahmajunior

hikerdoc wrote:

The Pentax interview spoke of difficulties, but gave little vision and no hints. While not leaving the market they too may feel there are diminishing returns in developing new bodies until/unless they truly have marketable advances to incorporate. The K3-III does have improved AF and OVF, but it may not have moved the needle as much as anticipated (or conversely the market moved more than anticipated).

That all makes perfect sense, and I suspect as much. Part of the continuous demand in this forum for Pentax mirrorless is based on the hope or expectation that Ricoh can figure this out, and produce marketable advances. It's not just wanting a K-mount A7.

RBIV

Souciantmag wrote:

hikerdoc wrote:

The Pentax interview spoke of difficulties, but gave little vision and no hints. While not leaving the market they too may feel there are diminishing returns in developing new bodies until/unless they truly have marketable advances to incorporate. The K3-III does have improved AF and OVF, but it may not have moved the needle as much as anticipated (or conversely the market moved more than anticipated).

That all makes perfect sense, and I suspect as much. Part of the continuous demand in this forum for Pentax mirrorless is based on the hope or expectation that Ricoh can figure this out, and produce marketable advances. It's not just wanting a K-mount A7.

I agree for the most part as well.  I hesitate at the improved performance part.

If I want the latest in auto focus choices or FPS performance, I've already got three great cameras to pick from.  They are so far ahead of Pentax that well, to coin a phrase, "resistance is futile."

Having said the above, I also believe the K3iii has better camera performance than most people need.  My KP has better performance than I actually need and is a more pleasant camera to shoot with  [for me] than many of the flagship MILCs.

I suppose there's a chance Pentax will fail because they don't chase spec sheet performance, but I think there's a greater chance they'll fail because nobody knows just how good a Pentax is for most users casual shooting.  Marketing is actually important.  In this, let's call it "marketing performance,"  Pentax is really lacking, and it's something that could actually be improved.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads