Any new affordable APS-C DSLRs on the horizon?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
krambjorn New Member • Posts: 12
Any new affordable APS-C DSLRs on the horizon?

Hi,

Only Pentax APS-C cameras available in Sweden right now are the too expensive (for me) K-3 III at $2100 and the six(!) years old K-70, which still goes for around $750 - $800.

So, is there anything new coming out, in a reasonable hobbyist price range, or is the only option to switch brands?

/Krambjörn

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Pentax K-3
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
zakaria
zakaria Veteran Member • Posts: 6,441
Re: Any new affordable APS-C DSLRs on the horizon?

K70 replacement should be on the horizon. I think it is the right time whereas the k3iii now is stable after one year in the market .

-- hide signature --

pentaxian .

zakaria's gear list:zakaria's gear list
Fujifilm X-H1 Pentax K-1 II Fujifilm X-T3 Nikon D780 Pentax smc FA 31mm F1.8 AL Limited +8 more
The Squirrel Mafia
The Squirrel Mafia Contributing Member • Posts: 984

There were a few rumors about a possible lower end model coming out, but this was several months back. The rumors have subsided since then. Rumors about future Pentax cameras are pretty much non-existent at the moment.

The Squirrel Mafia's gear list:The Squirrel Mafia's gear list
Pentax K-50 Pentax K-3 II Pentax 11-18mm F2.8 Pentax DA* 16-50mm F2.8 ED PLM AW Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited +10 more
flektogon
flektogon Veteran Member • Posts: 6,081

krambjorn wrote:

Hi,

Only Pentax APS-C cameras available in Sweden right now are the too expensive (for me) K-3 III at $2100 and the six(!) years old K-70, which still goes for around $750 - $800.

So, is there anything new coming out, in a reasonable hobbyist price range, or is the only option to switch brands?

/Krambjörn

Yes, a replacement of the K-70 might be on the way. But as soon as it will be announced, hurry up to get a K-70, as its replacement will be 2-times more expensive and just marginally improved. Unless Pentax is going to get rid finally of those green solenoids .

-- hide signature --

Regards,
Peter

xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

The question is, if new DSLR K70 replacement can be in similar price level as entry level mirror-less cameras to be competitive.

a) DSLR will probably be more expensive than ILC counterparts with similar parameters, yet those competitors now have wider lens portfolio to select from.

b) Ricoh can try to build mirrorless camera and add K-mount autofocusing adaptor. That will provide three things. 1) new camera with competitve price, 2) more modern mount can be used with possible adaptors for other systems, 3) it will be a nice new start into new era with some chance to grab new customers. While "old" pentaxians will probably follow with K3III/K1, keep all lenses and later switch to some hi-end mirrorless Pentax when it will be available.

OVF is nice.. but current hi-end EVFs are different level. And if you'd like to experience cameras that are able to find eyes and track them.. there is no chance to do that with phase-detect AF and pentaprism. And who for some reason needs pentaprism and mirror flaps and front/back focus issues, well, plenty of DSLRs were made so far..

-- hide signature --

http://pentax.xf.cz/ - Personal page about my favourite system.

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Pentax X-5 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +43 more
RBIV Senior Member • Posts: 1,144

krambjorn wrote:

Hi,

/Krambjörn

If there is anybody on the forum that actually knows when Pentax will release a new APS-C, and what that price range will be -- they aren't saying.  For sure, Pentax isn't saying, or hasn't done so yet.

And as far as brand switch for APS-C, I still see a fair bit of cloudy sky there.  I'm not sure what the other makers plans are longer range for the format is as regards lens options and body availability.  Pretty clear they won't include DSLRs though....

RBIV's gear list:RBIV's gear list
Pentax K-5 Pentax KP Nikon Z fc Pentax smc DA 21mm F3.2 AL Limited Pentax smc DA 40mm F2.8 Limited +3 more
altis Senior Member • Posts: 1,088

Sadly, no new cameras are imminent from Ricoh:

https://fccid.io/2ACZS

robbo d Veteran Member • Posts: 3,784

New Canon R7 and R10 look very promising 🤔

Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,057

Just as I thought when Ricoh assumed Pentax, an OEM needs more than 1 extant (new) model at a time. Not like Canon or Nikon in their heyday. But more than 1 new model every 5-6 years. How would someone justify investment in lenses.  At first, they seemed to understand that.

kypfer Contributing Member • Posts: 892

krambjorn wrote:

Hi,

/Krambjörn

The only Pentax-branded APS-C cameras available anywhere, except possibly a few left-over "new-old-stock" KPs, are the K-70 and the K-3iii.

And what would you expect that could be "better" than what the K-70 offers for less money … especially if you already have a commitment of Pentax-fit lenses?

Having used the K-70 extensively for over a year before I "upgraded" to a KP I know from experience that there's very little the K-70 can't do if the photographer knows what he's doing!

The very fact that the K-70 design is now 6 years old simply reflects how well it was designed in the first place … it no way implies that it needs to be replaced!

Pentax have declared their ongoing commitment to the DSLR concept, complete with optical viewfinder, so I feel there's very little chance of any dreams of a mirrorless body with EVF and full-function adaptor to support K-mount lenses ever becoming a reality … the designing of a whole new range of lenses to support this new body concept would be a major stumbling block before anything else!

kypfer's gear list:kypfer's gear list
Pentax *ist D Pentax *ist DS Pentax *ist DL2 Pentax K200D Samsung NX5 +7 more
Gesture Forum Pro • Posts: 10,057

Sony has been down that road with A-Mount.  A whole series of adapters.

robgendreau Forum Pro • Posts: 10,459

I would think that in these times, with the market as it is, that a low margin budget DSLR would be a mistake. Better to do a K-1iii.

jimrpdx
jimrpdx Veteran Member • Posts: 3,945

With kaf4 just getting started, perhaps some new functions will be coming whenever the kq arrives. Some dof bracketing, perhapsss?

-- hide signature --
 jimrpdx's gear list:jimrpdx's gear list
Sony a7 II Pentax K-S2 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Olympus Zuiko Digital ED 70-300mm 1:4.0-5.6 Panasonic Lumix G Vario 14-140mm F3.5-5.6 O.I.S +1 more
Mark Ransom
Mark Ransom Veteran Member • Posts: 8,085
I don't know which is worse

Going years without knowing what Pentax is doing, or having them announce something and waiting years for them to divulge any details.

Mark Ransom's gear list:Mark Ransom's gear list
Pentax K-7 Pentax K-01 Olympus E-M5 II Pentax smc DA 15mm F4 ED AL Limited Pentax smc DA 18-135mm F3.5-5.6ED AL [IF] DC WR +6 more
Sjak
Sjak Veteran Member • Posts: 7,019

krambjorn wrote:

What's wrong with the K-70?

Sjak's gear list:Sjak's gear list
Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom +1 more
Tom Lusk Senior Member • Posts: 1,902

Sjak wrote:

krambjorn wrote:

What's wrong with the K-70?

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4657965

Sjak

Tom Lusk wrote:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4657965

Yeah, crappy service, also what I experienced with my K-1 when it needed a small repair...

This, combined with 2 (yes TWO) lemons of the DFA* 1.4/50 made me decide to not purchase any high-end Pentax-stuff anymore.

Leica M Monochrom (Typ 246) Ricoh GR IIIx Pentax K100D Pentax K10D Leica M-Monochrom +1 more
xmeda
xmeda Senior Member • Posts: 1,819

Gesture wrote:

Sony has been down that road with A-Mount. A whole series of adapters.

All current ILC manufacturers have AF adaptors for previous DSLR system. Sony can adapt Minolta/A mount with AF support.
Olympus can use 4/3 lenses on M4/3 bodies
Canon can use EF lenses on R mount
Nikon can use F lenses on Z mount.
Fuji had no own mount, but used Fmount and has adaptors.
I see no issue with Ricoh doing the same. And the best part is, that some adaptors give you options to use other system lenses on your system. Like you can attach Canon EF lens on almost anything and have it with AF. In some cases even with speedboosters...
Those are options far from very limited Pentax K mount AF lens portfolio.
Yes, Canon R7 is nice beast.. and cost 20% less than K3III here. If only tere was Kmount adaptor for it to utilize all my lenses collected over time..

-- hide signature --

http://pentax.xf.cz/ - Personal page about my favourite system.

xmeda's gear list:xmeda's gear list
Casio QV-R40 Casio Exilim EX-Z110 Olympus XZ-1 Pentax X-5 Olympus XZ-2 iHS +43 more
jim yeats Contributing Member • Posts: 712

There comes a time when the best thing to do is sell what you have and move on.

You'll know when.

Sjak

xmeda wrote:

All current ILC manufacturers have AF adaptors for previous DSLR system.

This is true to a degree, but there are differences across brands.

E.g. Sony had a few adapters for its legacy lenses, all crippled in different ways.

Canon had adapters for the R-mount that make EF-lenses better on R-cams than on EF-bodies.

Fuji had no own mount, but used Fmount and has adaptors.

To my best knowledge, there's no Fuji-endorsed F-X-adaper.

I see no issue with Ricoh doing the same.

Me neither.

Yes, Canon R7 is nice beast.. and cost 20% less than K3III here. If only tere was Kmount adaptor for it to utilize all my lenses collected over time..

I haven't used the R7 myself. How would you assess the UI and shooting experience when compared to a recent Pentax-camera?

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads