Gelling the light source for B&W scanning

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JimKasson
MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 39,833
Gelling the light source for B&W scanning

With light sources anywhere near D50, when scanning B&W negatives or positives, the green raw channels saturates well before the red and blue ones. It occurred to me that gelling the light source might even this out, and give me a higher SNR in the scans. I've ordered a couple of Rosco Minus Green filters to experiment with.

Has anyone else tried this? If do, did it help?

Jim

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Nikon Z9 Hasselblad X2D 100c +1 more
Nikon D50
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
JimKasson
OP MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 39,833
Re: Gelling the light source for B&W scanning

JimKasson wrote:

With light sources anywhere near D50, when scanning B&W negatives or positives, the green raw channels saturates well before the red and blue ones. It occurred to me that gelling the light source might even this out, and give me a higher SNR in the scans. I've ordered a couple of Rosco Minus Green filters to experiment with.

Here's what a raw histo looks like with no gel.

-- hide signature --
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Nikon Z9 Hasselblad X2D 100c +1 more
just Tony
just Tony Veteran Member • Posts: 4,023
Same idea, different application

My homebuilt spectrophotometer that I had configured for printer/paper profiling had poor S/N at the extreme red and blue ends of the spectrum with my 4700K halogen source. A magenta filter was a worthwhile game changer.

-- hide signature --

Wag more; bark less.

just Tony's gear list:just Tony's gear list
Sony RX100 VA Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100S
MOD Hamiltionian Senior Member • Posts: 1,153

JimKasson wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Looks like you are 65% down in the red and 25% down in the blue.  So you are losing 22% of potential signal, and could get a theoretical 12% bump in SNR from an ideal illumination.

I've briefly tried to tune the color temp of my source when shooting black and white test targets but couldn't get all channels even with this method.

-- hide signature --

Stay Calm and Carry Cameras
https://thecentercolumn.com/

spilla Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

JimKasson wrote:

Jim

I find this interesting, but I’m ignorant of some basics. Is SNR limiting for this application? It seems like it should already be quite high with little room for additional improvement. If so, wouldn’t another solution be exposure bracketing? Perhaps the limitation there is all the processing along with focus stacking which I know you already do,

JimKasson

spilla wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Jim

I find this interesting, but I’m ignorant of some basics. Is SNR limiting for this application? It seems like it should already be quite high with little room for additional improvement.

There's always room for improvement. Whether any improvement would material is another thing. I don't really know about that last.

If so, wouldn’t another solution be exposure bracketing?Perhaps the limitation there is all the processing along with focus stacking which I know you already do,

Yes. The workflow is complex enough without adding exposure bracketing. Gelling the light source would not impact the workflow at all.

-- hide signature --
spilla Senior Member • Posts: 1,104

JimKasson wrote:

spilla wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Jim

I find this interesting, but I’m ignorant of some basics. Is SNR limiting for this application? It seems like it should already be quite high with little room for additional improvement.

There's always room for improvement. Whether any improvement would material is another thing. I don't really know about that last.

If so, wouldn’t another solution be exposure bracketing?Perhaps the limitation there is all the processing along with focus stacking which I know you already do,

Yes. The workflow is complex enough without adding exposure bracketing. Gelling the light source would not impact the workflow at all.

Well I’m interested to see the results. Even though I don’t scan film, I enjoy following along with your process and scans.

2ndviolinman Regular Member • Posts: 306

One of the things I kept when I ditched my darkroom stuff years ago was a 4x5 Beseler dichroic color head and film carriers. My thinking was that, someday, I could use the color head as a light source for camera scanning of flims, with the ability to color correct in the analog domain when scanning.

Never thought of this aspect of light source color, but interested.

JimKasson

2ndviolinman wrote:

One of the things I kept when I ditched my darkroom stuff years ago was a 4x5 Beseler dichroic color head and film carriers. My thinking was that, someday, I could use the color head as a light source for camera scanning of flims, with the ability to color correct in the analog domain when scanning.

Never thought of this aspect of light source color, but interested.

A dichroic head might make a fine light source. Availability of bulbs might be an issue, as well as heat and vibration from the fan. I’d be most worried about that last one.

-- hide signature --
JimKasson
With Rosco #247 minus green

JimKasson wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Here's the histo with a Roscoe minus green filter.

The green and blue channels are well matched, and the red is improved.

Jim

-- hide signature --
MOD Hamiltionian Senior Member • Posts: 1,153
Re: With Rosco #247 minus green

Nice!  That is a significant improvement.  Did you calculate how much filter you would need beforehand, or from trial and error.  Result looks pretty close to optimal.

-- hide signature --

JimKasson
Re: With Rosco #247 minus green

Hamiltionian wrote:

Nice! That is a significant improvement. Did you calculate how much filter you would need beforehand,

No . I just took a stab. That was the first gel I tried.

or from trial and error. Result looks pretty close to optimal.

-- hide signature --

-- hide signature --
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads