Nikon F4 Ai lenses

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
thayes15 Regular Member • Posts: 478
Nikon F4 Ai lenses

From what I read Nikon Ai  and AIs lenses only work in Aperture priority and Manual modes on the Nikon F4 film camera.

But my 20mm f 3.5 AI lens and my Zeiss Milvus 35mm f 1.4 lens seem also to work in Program modes P and Ph and S modes as well

Am I missing something?

thayes15's gear list:thayes15's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +11 more
Overrank
Overrank Senior Member • Posts: 4,713
Re: Nikon F4 Ai lenses

thayes15 wrote:

From what I read Nikon Ai and AIs lenses only work in Aperture priority and Manual modes on the Nikon F4 film camera.

But my 20mm f 3.5 AI lens and my Zeiss Milvus 35mm f 1.4 lens seem also to work in Program modes P and Ph and S modes as well

Am I missing something?

The F4 isn’t compatible with unchipped Ai and Ai-S lenses ( see page 86 of https://cdn-10.nikon-cdn.com/pdf/manuals/archive/F4-F4S.pdf ) but in Programmed mode with an unchipped lens it will revert to Aperture priority ( page 51 ) and similarly for Shutter priority ( page 56 ).

OP thayes15 Regular Member • Posts: 478
Re: Nikon F4 Ai lenses

Thanks Overrank

Always appreciate your input. I must admit it was confusing me a little.

But you're right. A lens with a CPU attached in P mode shows the shutter speed and the f stop in the bottom LCD panel

A lens without a CPU shows the shutter speed and A in the LCD panel.

Now I know the difference in all the messages I'm getting and know that all is well and functioning as it should be.

The left side of my brain is now duly satisfied.

Thanks again Overrank

thayes15's gear list:thayes15's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D850 Nikon Z6 II Nikon AF-S Nikkor 14-24mm f/2.8G ED Nikon AF-S Nikkor 50mm F1.4G +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads