Need help w/ GR lllx

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
MacroDonata
MacroDonata Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Need help w/ GR lllx

Just got a refurb GR lllx from Ricoh.

Formatted the SD card, but every time I take a shot, I get this message: "Unable to store image" and the camera turns off.

It is a brand new PNY 16gb 10, u1 card, which came from a batch of five that I bought as emergency backups a few months ago.  No problems with any of those in several other cameras.

I took another card from the same batch of PNY cards out of my GR ll and reformatted it in the lllx and got the same result.  Put it back in the ll, reformatted it and it works as normal.

I have not yet attempted to format the card on my computer.

With no card in the camera, there is no issue using the internal memory.  At the moment, I have no other brands of cards to try.

I've also noticed movement inside the body when I simply turn the camera over to access the SD/battery compartment.  I'm certainly not handling the camera carelessly.  If I do the same while the camera is on, it is not noticeable.

As the return window is only 14 days for Ricoh refurbs, I'd like some feedback on these issues.

Thanks in advance.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II +23 more
Tungsten Nordstein
Tungsten Nordstein Veteran Member • Posts: 3,186
Re: Need help w/ GR lllx

The movement you can feel is probably the image stabilsation mechanism. It's normal.

The card. I'd check with another card if you possibly can and if the problem persists send it back immediately. If you cannot check it with another card, I'd just end it back. Don't take a risk missing your 14 day return.

-- hide signature --

Tungsten Nordstein, Frogtographer. 2145
https://www.flickr.com/photos/156257994@N08/

Tungsten Nordstein's gear list:Tungsten Nordstein's gear list
Ricoh Caplio GX100 Ricoh GR Digital Ricoh GR Digital IV Sigma dp2 Quattro Ricoh GR II +8 more
mcshan Veteran Member • Posts: 4,951

I vote send it back asap. Ask for another.

-- hide signature --

"Soylent Green is people!"

mcshan's gear list:mcshan's gear list
Leica X1 Canon PowerShot G1 X Leica X2 Sony RX100 Leica X Vario +18 more
sprocket-docket Contributing Member • Posts: 709

I think it all comes down to whether this happens with another SD card. Pick up a couple more pronto and give them a try.

sprocket-docket's gear list:sprocket-docket's gear list
Ricoh GR IIIx Olympus E-M5 II Pentax K-1 II Panasonic Lumix G 20mm F1.7 ASPH Panasonic Lumix G Vario HD 12-32mm F3.5-5.6 Mega OIS +5 more
Raist3d Forum Pro • Posts: 47,783
Highly recommend you try Lexar or Sandisk.

MacroDonata wrote:

Just got a refurb GR lllx from Ricoh.

Formatted the SD card, but every time I take a shot, I get this message: "Unable to store image" and the camera turns off.

It is a brand new PNY 16gb 10, u1 card, which came from a batch of five that I bought as emergency backups a few months ago. No problems with any of those in several other cameras.

I took another card from the same batch of PNY cards out of my GR ll and reformatted it in the lllx and got the same result. Put it back in the ll, reformatted it and it works as normal.

I have not yet attempted to format the card on my computer.

With no card in the camera, there is no issue using the internal memory. At the moment, I have no other brands of cards to try.

I've also noticed movement inside the body when I simply turn the camera over to access the SD/battery compartment. I'm certainly not handling the camera carelessly. If I do the same while the camera is on, it is not noticeable.

As the return window is only 14 days for Ricoh refurbs, I'd like some feedback on these issues.

Thanks in advance.

I know over time there's some brand-models of cameras that have had issues with specific brand - models of SD cards. You may want to try with a name-brand model. Just buy a cheap 2 GB one or so.

-- hide signature --

Raist3d/Ricardo (Photographer, software dev.)- I photograph black cats in coal mines at night...
“The further a society drifts from truth the more it will hate those who speak it.” - Apparently Selwyn Duke and not George Orwell

pentapics Contributing Member • Posts: 924

The noise you hear / feel is normal this is the "Shake Reduction" system which moves freely inside the body because it uses magnets and therefore moves freely inside the camera body when the power is [ OFF ] and when the power is [ ON ] the SR system is activated.

With regards to SD CARD compatibility, see the list below of tested / recommended SD CARDS for compatibility.

FYI: There is nothing wrong with your camera. PNY cards do not function well with RICOH / PENTAX products. Save yourself [ time / money ] If you send your camera to the service centre they will test the SD Card function with one of the compatible cards below and return your camera with "no fault found".

https://www.ricoh-imaging.co.jp/english/support/qa/gr-3/

PANOSONIC / TOSHIBA / SanDisk

MacroDonata
OP MacroDonata Contributing Member • Posts: 576
Issue resolved w/ another brand of SD card

Received a Lexar card today.  I had ordered it before I was aware that Ricoh has a list of approved brands.  Thanks, Dan.

Formatted it in camera and everything seems to be fine.

Regarding PNY, it seems odd that their cards work without issue in my GRll, but the lllx balks.  None of the too-many-cameras I have has rejected that brand, or any other.

Thanks again for the responses.

Looking forward to using this little gem.

MacroDonata's gear list:MacroDonata's gear list
Ricoh GR II Sony RX100 V Sony a77 II Panasonic Lumix DMC-GM5 Olympus E-M5 II +23 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads