V1 + 10-100 VR at a concert

Started Jul 2, 2022 | Discussions
André BARELIER
André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,781
V1 + 10-100 VR at a concert

Hello,

Yesterday, I went to Charlie Jazz Festival, as I do every year. I have some friends working there. It's a very friendly event.

I took the V1 + 10-100, just for fun, to see what I could achieve. I was sitting at the first row, so it was easy to take pictures, but I could nor move.

Here are just 3 photos from the evening. Not excellent, but not bad either. More to come (the festival lasts for 3 days).

This is Thomas de Porquery. KInd of Sun Ra spiritual son, for those who are interested in jazz. The picture is not very good, but well...

This guy was playing in Thomas de Porquery band. Forgot his name....

This picture looks good to me. It's Vincent Peirani, a wonderful french musician playing accordion. And a very nice guy.

More to come.

I'm wondering if I'll take the J5 tonight. Image quality will be much better. But in this kind of situation, the EVF is almost mandatory for me. We'll see...

Thanks for looking

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER's gear list:André BARELIER's gear list
Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
Nikon 1 J5
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
(unknown member) Senior Member • Posts: 3,290
Re: V1 + 10-100 VR at a concert

They look great to me André.

Maybe image quality might be better with a J5 but don’t think the photos would be better in terms of capturing those musicians in that moment.

strawbale Senior Member • Posts: 2,479

André BARELIER wrote:

Hello,

Yesterday, I went to Charlie Jazz Festival, as I do every year. I have some friends working there. It's a very friendly event.

I took the V1 + 10-100, just for fun, to see what I could achieve. I was sitting at the first row, so it was easy to take pictures, but I could nor move.

Here are just 3 photos from the evening. Not excellent, but not bad either. More to come (the festival lasts for 3 days).

This is Thomas de Porquery. KInd of Sun Ra spiritual son, for those who are interested in jazz. The picture is not very good, but well...

This picture looks good to me. It's Vincent Peirani, a wonderful french musician playing accordion. And a very nice guy.

More to come.

I'm wondering if I'll take the J5 tonight. Image quality will be much better. But in this kind of situation, the EVF is almost mandatory for me. We'll see...

Thanks for looking

Great 'live' photos! More please !

PS: you missed a letter in his last name https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_de_Pourquery

The other saxophonist is Laurent Bardainne, looking at: https://www.charlie-jazz.com/agenda/thomas-de-pourquery-supersonic-back-to-the-moon

cyuill2007 Senior Member • Posts: 1,592

I like these photos. The quality of V1 photos holds up quite nicely to those from later models.

Since you have a 10-100mm lens, is it possible to get some wider shots as well? (Just a request.)

cyuill2007's gear list:cyuill2007's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon D500 Nikon AF Nikkor 50mm f/1.8D +11 more
VadymA Senior Member • Posts: 1,590

Very impressive work with noise reduction. You probably mentioned it many times, but do you mind sharing your noise reduction tools/workflow again.

VadymA's gear list:VadymA's gear list
Nikon D300 Nikon 1 J5 Nikon AF Nikkor 85mm f/1.4D Tokina AT-X Pro 11-16mm f/2.8 DX Nikon AF-Nikkor 80-200mm f/2.8D ED +7 more
André BARELIER
OP André BARELIER Forum Pro • Posts: 11,781

rich_cx139 wrote:

They look great to me André.

Maybe image quality might be better with a J5 but don’t think the photos would be better in terms of capturing those musicians in that moment.

You're right, Rich.

I am far too obsessed with "technical" quality, instead of being interested in the other components of a photo, which give it its interest. I am lucky that this forum helps me to go beyond the purely technical aspect.

-- hide signature --

André

Nikon Coolpix P7800 Nikon D7200 Nikon AF-S DX Nikkor 16-80mm F2.8-4E ED VR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D3300 +10 more
André BARELIER

strawbale wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

Hello,

More to come.

Thanks for looking

Great 'live' photos! More please !

PS: you missed a letter in his last name https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Thomas_de_Pourquery

The other saxophonist is Laurent Bardainne, looking at: https://www.charlie-jazz.com/agenda/thomas-de-pourquery-supersonic-back-to-the-moon

Thank you, Peter. To say the truth, Thomas de Pourquery music is not exactly my cup of tea. It's fun, nice, very entertaining, but that's all.

J'ai de beaucoup préféré Vincent Peirani trio, with Federico Casagrande on guitar, and especially Ziv Razitz on drums. He's fantastic drummer. I already knew them all, but I hadn't heard them together yet.

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

cyuill2007 wrote:

I like these photos. The quality of V1 photos holds up quite nicely to those from later models.

Since you have a 10-100mm lens, is it possible to get some wider shots as well? (Just a request.)

Thanks. I didn't take many wide angle photos.

Here is one.

The mayor of Vitrolles, his cultural assistant, my friend Frank, who is the President of the Festival, and Aurélien, who is in charge of the programmation.

-- hide signature --

André

Tord S Eriksson
Tord S Eriksson Forum Pro • Posts: 18,370

André BARELIER wrote:

Hello,

More to come.

Yes, please!

I recommend a loupe!

Thanks for looking

Been ages since I went to a concert! Love it!

-- hide signature --

tordseriksson (at) gmail.....
Owner of a handful of Nikon cameras. And a few lenses.
WSSA #456

Tord S Eriksson's gear list:Tord S Eriksson's gear list
Olympus C-8080 Wide Zoom Ricoh GR Nikon 1 V1 Nikon D600 Nikon D3300 +24 more
André BARELIER

VadymA wrote:

Very impressive work with noise reduction. You probably mentioned it many times, but do you mind sharing your noise reduction tools/workflow again.

You're welcome.

I use DxO PL5, and shoot only raw.

See the screen captures below, which are my own default settings.

Of course, depending on the image, I change exposure, WB, perspective, etc.

But for 80% of my photos, the defaults settings work fine.

BTW, a close comparison between DxO and On1 photoraw shows that DxO, thanks to its Deep Prime NR engine, is far better at extracting details and removing noise without generating artifacts. But Deep Prime works only with raw file.

For jpegs, On1 is more efficient (and way faster than DxO).

But, again, I'm not an expert. Other fellows are for sure much more qualified than me.

-- hide signature --

André

Tord S Eriksson

André BARELIER wrote:

VadymA wrote:

You're welcome.

I use DxO PL5, and shoot only raw.

See the screen captures below, which are my own default settings.

Of course, depending on the image, I change exposure, WB, perspective, etc.

But for 80% of my photos, the defaults settings work fine.

BTW, a close comparison between DxO and On1 photoraw shows that DxO, thanks to its Deep Prime NR engine, is far better at extracting details and removing noise without generating artifacts. But Deep Prime works only with raw file.

For jpegs, On1 is more efficient (and way faster than DxO).

Agree, totally! And that is so, even if ON1 NoNoise AI is made for RAW images!

But, again, I'm not an expert. Other fellows are for sure much more qualified than me.

I do lower the whites a tiny bit!

Thanks, again!

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

misterodd
misterodd Veteran Member • Posts: 3,091

Andre,

Nice set!  The images are good enough.  I like the expression of the sax player; he's in his element, no doubt.  Thanks for sharing!

-- hide signature --

Box Man

misterodd's gear list:misterodd's gear list
Nikon 1 V1 Nikon 1 J2 Nikon 1 V2 Nikon 1 J3 Nikon 1 V3 +15 more
André BARELIER

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

Hello,

More to come.

Yes, please!

Even if I don't take tons of pictures, I Need some time to process!

I recommend a loupe!

Yes, but then, I might as well take the D7200. My idea is to have a small camera, so as not to disturb my neighbors

Thanks for looking

Lots of concerts here in summer time! Come to France, Tord!

-- hide signature --

André

André BARELIER

misterodd wrote:

Andre,

Nice set! The images are good enough. I like the expression of the sax player; he's in his element, no doubt. Thanks for sharing!

Thanks, Boxman.

You are one of those who taught me that technical quality was much less important than everything that gives meaning to a photo.

-- hide signature --

André

Tord S Eriksson

André BARELIER wrote:

Tord S Eriksson wrote:

André BARELIER wrote:

Hello,

More to come.

Yes, please!

Even if I don't take tons of pictures, I Need some time to process!

I recommend a loupe!

Yes, but then, I might as well take the D7200. My idea is to have a small camera, so as not to disturb my neighbors

Thanks for looking

Lots of concerts here in summer time! Come to France, Tord!

Wish I could, but finances are pretty dire! But there are free concerts downtown occasionally.

-- hide signature --

WSSA #456

Paul Pasco
Paul Pasco Veteran Member • Posts: 9,989

These look great to me regardless of what camera was used, but then you know my fondness for the V1s. I love most kinds of music but I dislike crowds, so I don't have these kind of opportunities very often.

-- hide signature --

Regards, Paul
Lili's Dad
WSSA Member #450

Paul Pasco's gear list:Paul Pasco's gear list
Nikon Z50 Nikon D50 Nikon D3 Nikon D300 Nikon 1 V1 +29 more
André BARELIER

Paul Pasco wrote:

These look great to me regardless of what camera was used, but then you know my fondness for the V1s. I love most kinds of music but I dislike crowds, so I don't have these kind of opportunities very often.

Thanks Paul. Vitrolles jazz festival is very friendly: people are not standing up. They are seated. That changes the atmosphere. They may stand up and dance when the music is very groovy. But it doesn't happen often (fortunately for me: I don't go to a jazz festival to dance

-- hide signature --

André

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads