What is this single white dot inside my lens?

Started 5 months ago | Questions
starboltbnu New Member • Posts: 2
What is this single white dot inside my lens?

Hello

I recently purchased a used Canon Rebel T7i camera and apparently everything is OK with it, except the lens. On closer inspection I noticed that there is a white dot on the inside of the lens glass.

I've seen a few threads here talking about problems like this, but many were different from mine (which only has one dot).

My main concern is that this could be a fungus. From the photos, can you tell if this is something I should be concerned about or could it just be dust?

The strange thing is that as I change the angle of the lens, it seems that this spot gets brighter. I thought it was a scratch on the lens, but that dot is below the glass.

The lens is an 18-55mm that comes with the camera kit.

Thanks

ANSWER:
This question has not been answered yet.
Canon EOS Rebel T7i / EOS 800D / Kiss X9i
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
stevet1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,123
Re: What is this single white dot inside my lens?

Since you purchased this used, it's hard to know If this was caused  by the previous user.

Have you tried to take a picture with it yet?  How'd it turn out?

If you're  not suffering any Ill effects, I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Steve Thomas

stevet1's gear list:stevet1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D)
OP starboltbnu New Member • Posts: 2

Yes, the pictures seem fine.

stevet1 Senior Member • Posts: 1,123

starboltbnu wrote:

Yes, the pictures seem fine.

Well then starboltbnu, I'm glad you got yourself a nice camera. I wish you many happy hours taking pictures. A couple of guys on this forum have a T7i, and the pictures they produce are pretty nice.

Steve Thomas

stevet1's gear list:stevet1's gear list
Canon EOS Rebel T8i (EOS 850D)
Ray UK Contributing Member • Posts: 944

Looks like a speck of dust, almost certainly not fungus. It won't have any visible effect on the photographs and is nothing to worry about. Marks or dust on or near the front of the lens rarely cause problems whereas anything on the rear can be trouble.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads