MOD JimKasson Forum Pro • Posts: 39,554
Re: Best portrait combo in existence

Valued Customer wrote:

JimKasson wrote:

Valued Customer wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

Just took the plunge. 50mm, 110mm and 250mm along with the 100S 😳

arriving tomorrow. All bases covered.

Nice!! Great combination and you found a 250mm. I heard those are hard to find.

Two, minor consideration: (1) the Fuji hand grip (it is a thin metal bottom) for me makes the camera so comfortable in my hands. Whenever I have a photographer hood my gfx100s I take off the handgrip and put it back on. They shake their heads laughing on how small a piece adds so much more comfort; and (2) consider the 18mm macro tube as it will be fun and might be real fun with the 250.

For some, the lack of battery access when the Fuji grip is attached makes it a nonstarter. Those people have alternatives:

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-100s/smallrig-gfx-100s-l-bracket/

https://blog.kasson.com/gfx-50s/kirk-gfx-50r-l-plate/

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4583375

Are they as comfortable? For me the flat plate bottom feels much better then skeleton structures. But yeah on tripod I understand where you are coming from.

Regarding off tripod, you do not need to totally remove Fuji’s handgrip to replace batteries. You can unscrew handgrip a bit and swing the grip so grip will be hanging from camera as change out battery.
As for protection, I suspect full plate is better. I have not looked but a friend mentioned that there is a bit of damage to camera bottoms being sold on eBay.

Do you know or suspect the rational of the full plate used by manufacturers like Fujifilm and Leica over the skeletal structures grips?

I don't understand that last sentence. Do you mean rationale?

If so, I think options are good, and they're providing options. One size doesn't fit all. The Fuji plate is fine for some people -- like you -- and not so good for others -- like me.

-- hide signature --
 JimKasson's gear list:JimKasson's gear list
Leica Q2 Monochrom Nikon Z7 Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GFX 100S Nikon Z9 +1 more
Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 6,953

photosandmusic wrote:

As per the title. Budget not really a concern luckily. Torn between GFX100S with the 110mm or waiting for the new Hasselblad X2D and lenses.
Is there anything I haven’t thought of? Moving away from Leica and find Sony too clinical and with exasperating menus.
TIA.

There is no simple answer.

What is clinical?

• Is it a lens that reproduces fine detail correctly?
  • Is it a lens that exceeds the resolution of the sensor, thus yielding artifacts?

Some lenses have significant spherical aberrations and render the image softly, while still resolving detail, albeit at low contrast. These lenses may yield pleasant back ground blur.

In essence, a good lens would reproduce detail correctly, that is neither add or substract.
With digital imaging we have an issue with the sensor sampling at a specific resolution. Once the lens projects significant details past that resolution artifacts will result.
That issue can be counteracted by:

• Using a well designed OLP filter in front of the sensor.
  • Having a sensor with high enough resolution to handle all detail from the lens.

Many times, resolution (*) may be photographer limited. Things like a bit of defocus, camera shake induced by photographer, wind or shutter shake may reduce resolution (*) so artifacts are avoided.
Also, artifacts may not be obvious.

So, when you aim for 'the best lens', what are your aims?

For the best and most accurate detail you would need the sharpest lens with the best sensor. In the GFX system that would be GFX 100/100S with the GF 110/2 lens.

As a small example, which of the images below would you prefer? Image E had a bit different light, sorry for that...

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

JimKasson

Erik Kaffehr wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

As per the title. Budget not really a concern luckily. Torn between GFX100S with the 110mm or waiting for the new Hasselblad X2D and lenses.
Is there anything I haven’t thought of? Moving away from Leica and find Sony too clinical and with exasperating menus.
TIA.

There is no simple answer.

What is clinical?

The absence of aberrations that you prize.

-- hide signature --
ampimagedotcom
ampimagedotcom Contributing Member • Posts: 854
XF or H6D

photosandmusic wrote:

Budget not really a concern luckily...
.. Is there anything I haven’t thought of?

The Phase One XF Camera System or the Hasselblad H6D would currently be the best.

MattPointZero
MattPointZero Senior Member • Posts: 1,831

photosandmusic wrote:

Hijacked my poor wife for one of my first shots with the 110. What a beauty of a lens, even with my mediocre talent at getting to grips with an entirely new system...

I really like this shot!  And the lens is just phenomenal.  I look forward to more shared work with it, enjoy

MattPointZero's gear list:MattPointZero's gear list
Sony a7R IVA Sony a7 IV Sony FE 100mm F2.8 GM Sony FE 50mm F1.2 GM Sony FE 14mm F1.8 GM +1 more
bobby350z Senior Member • Posts: 1,111

MattPointZero wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

Hijacked my poor wife for one of my first shots with the 110. What a beauty of a lens, even with my mediocre talent at getting to grips with an entirely new system...

I really like this shot! And the lens is just phenomenal. I look forward to more shared work with it, enjoy

Nice shot but focus off is giving it that look.

ampimagedotcom
ampimagedotcom Contributing Member • Posts: 854
Camera shake

bobby350z wrote:

The Hasselblad 503 is great for producing that type of 'dreamy look'...

.. due to it being hard to focus - although 'camera shake' could also play a part as well.

LensWizard
LensWizard Senior Member • Posts: 2,237

bobby350z wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

I really like this shot! And the lens is just phenomenal. I look forward to more shared work with it, enjoy

However he is shooting with USD$20,000.00 + gear and quite happy no matter "THE FOCUS" Kudo's to the OP I love it..

-- hide signature --

Canon XLH1 Video, Profoto AcuteR2400, Eizo 27Inch CG277 Monitor, MSI GT80S Laptop, MSI Vortex G-65 Desktop, Wimberly Mk2 Head, Gitzo 5540LS Tripods (2), Arca Swiss Monoball Head, Macbook Pro 15inch Retna Display,Arca Swiss C1 Cube Head, Apple Mac Pro (6) Core 3.5GHZ Dual AMD700's

LensWizard's gear list:LensWizard's gear list
Canon EOS-1D Mark II N Canon EOS-1Ds Canon EOS 5D Leica SL (Typ 601) Nikon D5 +65 more
Rodenmg
Rodenmg Senior Member • Posts: 1,172

LensWizard wrote:

bobby350z wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

However he is shooting with USD$20,000.00 + gear and quite happy no matter "THE FOCUS" Kudo's to the OP I love it..

$20,000! Man, I don't know where you buy your gear but you should shop around.

But Bobby is right.  At 1/60 second with IS on something should be sharp.

JimKasson

LensWizard wrote:

bobby350z wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

Lotta tradeoffs in setting up this image. At f/2, you're not going to get the iris, eyelashes, and eyebrows in focus simultaneously. If that's OK, then you need to decide which is going to be in focus. There also appears to be a bit of camera or subject movement due to the 1/60 second shutter speed. Increasing the shutter speed a stop would help with that, but add a bit more noise. I would have stopped down a bit, bumped the ISO and the shutter speed, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the OOF eyebrows look.

However, I don't think the focusing is off if the desire was to compromise the sharpness of the irises, eyelashes, and eyebrows.

-- hide signature --
bofo777 Senior Member • Posts: 2,220
Re: Adapted options

dbateman wrote:

Well I will be the crazy one. I tried a 110mm f2 and could have been that the copy was crap, but I didn't like the focal length as well.

I found my super cheap (paid $100) Rokinon 85mm f1.4 lens to be much better and is crazy sharp. Biggest problem with it is chromatic aberration. But I liked the focal length so much that I bought a Tamron 85mm f1.8 lens with stabilisation. Its not as sharp as my Rokinon, but its chromatic aberration free. If I could afford it I would probably try the Fujifilm 80mm lens.

I thought that if a lens had a problem with CA it impairs it's sharpness and the 80 with so called problem with axial CA supposedly fits in that category.

Alternatively, I also like the Sigma 135mm f1.8 lens, from the imags I have seen. I don't own it. That might be the best head shot adapted lens for GFX.

bofo777's gear list:bofo777's gear list
Olympus E-1 Olympus E-M1 Olympus E-M1 II Olympus E-M1 III Fujifilm GFX 100S +17 more

Good to know that, thanks.

Kiwisnap Senior Member • Posts: 1,456

JimKasson wrote:

LensWizard wrote:

bobby350z wrote:

MattPointZero wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

Lotta tradeoffs in setting up this image. At f/2, you're not going to get the iris, eyelashes, and eyebrows in focus simultaneously. If that's OK, then you need to decide which is going to be in focus. There also appears to be a bit of camera or subject movement due to the 1/60 second shutter speed. Increasing the shutter speed a stop would help with that, but add a bit more noise. I would have stopped down a bit, bumped the ISO and the shutter speed, but that's just me. I'm not a fan of the OOF eyebrows look.

However, I don't think the focusing is off if the desire was to compromise the sharpness of the irises, eyelashes, and eyebrows.

I used to own the legendary Leica M Noctilux f1.0

Of course it was developed when film only offered modest ISO ability and the only way to shoot in truly low light was with truly fast glass.

However the DOF was so razor thin at f1 that the lens was not good for portraits at all in low light - especially given the tricksy focus on an M camera which is even harder to get right in bad light.

Kiwisnap's gear list:Kiwisnap's gear list
Fujifilm GFX 100 Fujifilm GF 250mm F4 Fujifilm GF 100-200mm F5.6 Fujifilm GF 45-100mm F4 Fujifilm GF 30mm F3.5 R WR
OP photosandmusic Junior Member • Posts: 33

Another attempt this time with the giant 250/4. Manual focus. Still not getting there (really need to practice) but am so in love with the colours and bokeh it produces. For comparison also included a couple of photos from last night at ISO 4000 or 5000 with the Lecia Q2 Monochrom on auto focus. Both very different machines but astonishing in their own way.

Any tips regarding the 100S would be hugely appreciated.

Erik Kaffehr
Erik Kaffehr Veteran Member • Posts: 6,953
Re: XF or H6D

ampimagedotcom wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

Budget not really a concern luckily...
.. Is there anything I haven’t thought of?

The Phase One XF Camera System or the Hasselblad H6D would currently be the best.

Hi,

I am not sure that is a given thing.

Both XF and the H6D are SLR designs. That means that focusing is done using a focusing system having a different path from the system taking the image.

GFX and X1D focus off the sensor and the focus point is movable across almost all of the sensor. So, mirrorless systems can focus very accurately.

It is not clear that HC lenses or Phase One lenses are better than GF or X-system lenses.

The 54x41 mm sensors are obviously larger than the 44x34 sensors in GF and X1D and the 150 MP sensor in the IQ4150 even has more pixels. The size yields some advantage in noise related parameters, but not a huge difference.

My guess would be GFX 100/100S and the upcoming X2D may be best options.

After all, it is about image quality, usability or even some look, neither of those parameters is linked to price tag.

Best regards

Erik

-- hide signature --

Erik Kaffehr
Magic uses to disappear in controlled experiments…
Gallery: http://echophoto.smugmug.com
Articles: http://echophoto.dnsalias.net/ekr/index.php/photoarticles

Stan Disbrow Veteran Member • Posts: 6,580

Hi,

Which is a good thing for portraits I find. And I can't be the only one who thinks that way. Pentax produced a specific P67 lens designed to allow you to control how softly it focuses for just such work.

Stan

-- hide signature --

Amateur Photographer
Professional Electronics Development Engineer
Once you start down the DSLR path, forever will it dominate your destiny! Consume
your bank account, it will! Like mine, it did!

Stan Disbrow's gear list:Stan Disbrow's gear list
Kodak DCS520 Kodak DCS760 Nikon D1H Pentax 645D Nikon Df +21 more

photosandmusic wrote:

Another attempt this time with the giant 250/4. Manual focus. Still not getting there (really need to practice) but am so in love with the colours and bokeh it produces. For comparison also included a couple of photos from last night at ISO 4000 or 5000 with the Lecia Q2 Monochrom on auto focus. Both very different machines but astonishing in their own way.

Why try manual focus with 250mm f4 and that too at 1/40?

Rodenmg

photosandmusic wrote:

With the GF250 @f4 dof is a challenge.  I would suggest using AF and put the focus on her eyes rather than her chin.

OP photosandmusic Junior Member • Posts: 33

bobby350z wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

auto wouldn't lock on... at all.

Rodenmg

photosandmusic wrote:

bobby350z wrote:

photosandmusic wrote:

auto wouldn't lock on... at all.

What AF mode? I’ve found that AF-C with face/eye detect doesn’t work exactly great with this lens.  But at EV9 there should have been plenty of light for AF-S.

Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads