Used camera stabilized for street photography and video

Started 3 months ago | Discussions
JonSnow92 New Member • Posts: 2
Used camera stabilized for street photography and video

Hi all

I’m looking for a used camera for street photography and videos.

I have a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 but is too big and too heavy. In this years I never used it and i prefer to bring with me only the iPhone.

I have 400€ budget and the camera should be like this:

- 4K 24 or 25 or 30 fps and 1080p at 50 or 60 fps

- stabilization that works in video mode

- not necessary interchangeable lens, but if it has it, is good

- light weight

- 16 mpx is ok

- no need an external microphone

I found the panasonic gx9 / gx8 / gx80 or olympus om-d e-m10 mark III, only on the web, i never seen or used one of these camera in first person.

I’m a “holiday photographer” not a professional. I’ll use this camera on holidays or mountain trails or something like this.

These cameras has released in 2016-2017, is it a good idea to buy an old camera in 2022?

P.s. Sorry for my english, i’m writing from Italy

Nikon D3200 Olympus OM-D E-M10 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85
If you believe there are incorrect tags, please send us this post using our feedback form.
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 18,006
Re: Used camera stabilized for street photography and video

JonSnow92 wrote:

Hi all

I have a Nikon D3200 with 18-55 but is too big and too heavy. In this years I never used it and i prefer to bring with me only the iPhone.

I have 400€ budget and the camera should be like this:

- 4K 24 or 25 or 30 fps and 1080p at 50 or 60 fps

- stabilization that works in video mode

- not necessary interchangeable lens, but if it has it, is good

- light weight

- 16 mpx is ok

- no need an external microphone

I found the panasonic gx9 / gx8 / gx80 or olympus om-d e-m10 mark III, only on the web, i never seen or used one of these camera in first person.

I’m a “holiday photographer” not a professional. I’ll use this camera on holidays or mountain trails or something like this.

These cameras has released in 2016-2017, is it a good idea to buy an old camera in 2022?

P.s. Sorry for my english, i’m writing from Italy

I leave the opinion on EM10s by their users.

For video, I would edge towards Panasonic ahead of Olympus. As you know, video is the stronghold of Sony and Panasonic.

I might also throw in G85 and G95 into the equation for a larger size body than the GX9/GX85 and is similar to GX8 (GX8 is not related to the GX9 nor GX85). G85 is on the older generation of 16Mp sensor whereas G95 is the latest 20Mp. The G line is used to be the economy model of the GH which is the pro class video line of Panasonic M43 system. As per reviews, video IQ of G85, which is merely a mid range class model, is said to be better than that of the flagship model EM1 mk-II of Olympus.

Generally the IBIS of Olympus is more effective than Panasonic's IBIS. So when shooting with non IS lenses, Olympus has better performance on this department. Panasonic camera needs DUAL IS/ DUAL IS 2 (a combination of IBIS and Lens IS) to compare with the IBIS alone of Olympus. Olympus also has developed its own form of DUAL IS but is not available to its lower end models, e.g. EM10 or EM5.

The following is an extract from a review ( http://www.photobyrichard.com/reviewbyrichard/panasonic-lumix-gx8-review/ ) which compared the various IS of GX8 vs the EM5 mk-II, the benchmark of its time:

In case of GX85 and G85 (also applied to their successors GX9 and G95, but not GX8), their IBIS (in case a non IS lens is mounted) and DUAL IS (in case a DUAL IS compatible lens is mounted) support video (4K and 1080) and still. As GX8 has an older IBIS such that it only has Lens IS + e-stabilization on 4K video.

(Mind you, a few minority reports appearing occasionally on the IBIS problem of GX9 after firmware update. Still not sure where is the problem. Also difficult to verify the authenticity of those reports.)

The following was a video from members on shooting video inside the cockpit of a small plane demonstrating the DUAL IS of G85:

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/62102832

• GX85 is smaller and lighter in weight (vs G85),
  • On 4K video, AF of GX85 sometimes might struggle (easier to find AF hunting) while G85 is more capable on this.
  • GX85 is not WR (G85 is WR),
  • GX85 is more on a soap like body flat top, flat front rangefinder form factor design (G85 is more like a small DSLR form factor design) so not well balance on using larger size lens vs G85,
  • GX85 has a less energy efficient electronic and G85 has better performance of this (usually I shall empty 1.5 battery for a day's shooting while only used 1/2 battery of G85),
  • G85 has deeper setting than GX85, and above all
  • GX85 (same for GX9) has a smaller evf using sequential LED (G85 use a larger polarized glass friendly OLED evf), some GX85 shooter might have problem on this. You must buy from source having good return policy.

If you don't mind the above, paring up GX85 with the 14-140 f/3.5-5.6 (eq AoV of 28-280 of FF) of total <700gram in weight could be a highly portable and good Jack of all trades camera.

A recent SOOC JPG from GX85 & 14-140:

Please look at the original at 100% view

I am currently still shooting with the 16Mp generation of Panasonic M43s (the GX850, GX85 and G85). IMHO as the later 20Mp generation of models doesn't give me much, I would only upgrade if there would be more major improvement on feature set or, e.g. the CAF of G9 or the 25Mp sensor of GH6... So I would say these older 16Mp models are still very capable particularly if you will be on a tight budget.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download my image and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
yardcoyote Forum Pro • Posts: 15,122

It is a very good idea to buy an older used camera!  Most of my cameras and lenses are used and I have never had a problem with any of them. I buy from reputable online dealers or stores that I trust.

I have an E-M10 mk 2 and it is an excellent little camera with effective stabilization for shooting stills. There are many excellent small lenses that work well with it for street and walkaround. I don't shoot video so I cannot say anything about that.

If you have questions about Micro Four Thirds cameras and lenses, the Micro Four Thirds forum is the place to go.

-- hide signature --

Instagram: @yardcoyote

yardcoyote's gear list:yardcoyote's gear list
Fujifilm X10 Fujifilm X100T Fujifilm X-Pro1 Pentax K-5 IIs Fujifilm X-M1 +20 more
OP JonSnow92 New Member • Posts: 2

Thank you for your reply.
Do you know something about the LX100 or GX880?

Do these cameras have any video stabilization system?

barbara j Contributing Member • Posts: 624

JonSnow92 wrote:

Hi all

I have a gx9. A long time friend of mine, cynthia-rettig.com, shoots a gx8. She always has it with her. For exhibition she typically shoots film, but for instagram, gx8 right out of the camera.

The gx8 and gx9 are smaller, range-finder style cameras. I bought mine because I prefer smaller, less obvious cameras, and because I could understand the menu logic. If you have larger hands a smaller camera will take some getting used to. Fortunately, smart phones have accustomed us to slippery stuff. :D)

Same friend with gx8 , @ttknowsvintage is in South Africa right now. Her insta is posted right out of the camera if you want to see samples.

-- hide signature --

@luredbylight

barbara j's gear list:barbara j's gear list
Canon EOS M3 Panasonic Lumix DC-GX9 Canon EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Panasonic 12-60mm F3.5-5.6 OIS +4 more
alcelc
alcelc Forum Pro • Posts: 18,006

JonSnow92 wrote:

Thank you for your reply.
Do you know something about the LX100 or GX880?

Do these cameras have any video stabilization system?

Not a LX100 owner. AFAIK it should has stabilization on lens for still photo shooting and on top of it, has electronic stablization on video recording as well. This is not optical stabilization but a software based correction feature. Hence it will use a smaller frame to leave rooms for software adjustment (i.e. extra video cropping).

I don't think fixed lens compact cameras of Panasonic use IBIS sensor.

GX880, is the entry class interchangeable lens camera of Panasonic M43 system. While all Panasonic ILCs are using a floating sensor for 5-axis IBIS now, GX880 (or its successor GF10, and it's extended line G100) is the only exception. Similar to LX100, it uses lens stablization (so an IS lens has to be mounted) for photo shooting. On video, it can use e-stablization on top of lens IS. BTW it has restriction on length of 5 mins on 4K recording because of its lower processing power.

For other Panasonic ILCs, e.g. GX85/GX9, G85/G95, G9, GH5/GH5s/GH5 mk-II/GH6, they have IBIS, lens IS and DUAL IS (a combination of IBIS + Lens IS) for still shooting and video as well. They of course would support e-stablization on video but the powerfulness is relatively minor to those optical stabilization.

While some members mentioned GX8, I would like to add that since it is one of the earliest Panasonic ILCs starting to offer IBIS, it is only for still photo shooting and 1080 video only. On 4K, IBIS will be disabled, so can use lens IS and e-stabilization only.

IMHO, IBIS could provide a more steady shooting environment than Lens IS specially on run and gun style of video shooting. If video is your major interest, look for an IBIS camera.

If size doesn't matter you, I might suggest to look at G85 (cheaper) or its current successor G95. Both support DUAL IS 2 (the most effective stablization system of Panasonic), has mic port for external microphone and better video AF on 4K.

GX85 (GX880, a.k.a. GF9 indeed is a GF line camera, not a real GX line model) is another good and cheap option. But it has no mic port (rely on the built in mic), while excellent AF on 1080 its AF struggles on 4K video (need more careful handling, a processing power issue?).

All of these higher spec models (vs GX880) have either 30 min 4K recording time (on GX85 because of EU tax reason) and no time limit (on G85) respectively. They also support full P/S/A/M video shooting rather than the dummy auto video shooting of GX880. They are much more advance models for video.

My 2 cents.

-- hide signature --

Albert
** Please forgive my typo error.
** Please feel free to download my image and edit it as you like **

alcelc's gear list:alcelc's gear list
Panasonic Lumix DMC-GF3 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX1 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX7 Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX85 Panasonic G85 +11 more
Keyboard shortcuts:
FForum MMy threads